Long story short... 5 year olds and guitars don't mix On the up side I get a new guitar! Wooo!

So without further adieu I need some opinions... I play mostly blues/rock/alternative, which guitar is the better buy...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Single-Cut-Electric-Guitar-104225081-i1150579.gc
Paul Reed Smith SE Single Cut Electric Guitar
$521.13 - $599.99
* Flamed maple top
* Mahogany back
* Mahogany neck
* Rosewood fretboard
* PRS-designed humbuckers
* Wide, fat neck carve

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Custom-Electric-Guitar-512296-i1147703.gc
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom Electric Guitar
$529.99

* Body: solid mahogany with carved flame maple top
* Neck: set mahogany
* Fingerboard: ebony
* Frets: 22 medium jumbo
* Scale length: 24-3/4"
* Binding: 5-ply white and black plastic
* Inlay: abalone block
* Bridge: TonePros fully adjustable
* Tuning machines: Grover
* Pickups: Riboloff / Rockfield SWC-1 (select wound custom), direct mounted dual PAF plus
* Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, coil-splitting
* Strings: D'Addario
* Hardware: chrome

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 Electric Guitar
$909.00 - $979.00

* Genuine EMG 81/60 pickups (Seymour Duncan JB/59s on amber sunburst model)
* 24-3/4" set neck
* Mahogany neck
* Rosewood fretboard (ebony on vintage black)
* Abalone flags plus the model name at the 12th fret
* 24 extra jumbo frets
* TonePros locking bridge
* Black hardware (gold on black and vintage black, chrome on amber sunburst)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Ultra-II-Electric-Guitar-515624-i1383596.gc
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-II Electric Guitar
$799.99

# Body: Mahogany, strategically chambered
# Top: Quilted maple
# Neck: Mahogany
# Neck Profile: SlimTaper, satin finish
# Neck Joint: Glued-In
# Truss Rod: double-action, 2-way
# Fingerboard: Rosewood
# Fingerboard Radius: 12"
# Frets: 22 medium jumbo
# Scale Length: 24-3/4"
# Nut Width: 1.65"
# Neck Pickup: Alnico Classic
# NanoMag Low-impedance
# Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Plus
# Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic
# Tailpiece: LockTone Stopbar
# Front Controls: Neck Humbucker Master Volume
# Bridge Humbucker Master Volume
# Master Tone
# NanoMAG Master Volume
# 3-way Toggle (Humbuckers)
# Rear Controls:
# NanoMAG Treble
# NanoMAG Bass
# NanoMAG Gain
# Tuners: Grover, diecast
# Outputs: 1/4" Mono, 1/4" Stereo
# Power: 9V battery
# Hardware: Gold
# Binding: Body, Neck
Last edited by thfc1799 at Jan 28, 2009,
Minus the abalone, the ESP rocks
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I like the ESP but those pickups are gonna be mostly for metal Im not sure if you play metal or not it wasnt stated in the OP
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I like the ESP a lot, but I don't know if that would suit you that well if you're playing blues and stuff. Maybe the Michael Kelly? It sounds a lot better spec-wise than the PRS.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
The ESP might feel too metal for him. Active EMGS will definitely give it some scream.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Jesus... You lot are far too fast... I finally got all the pictures sorted out only to realize that there's 200 replies. I don't play any metal at all. I'm always open to new ideas also.

P.s. I really don't want to spend more than a grand.

Thanks again!
Last edited by thfc1799 at Jan 28, 2009,
Quote by thfc1799
Jesus... You lot are far too fast... I finally got all the pictures sorted out only to realize that there's 200 replies. I don't play any metal at all. I'm always open to knew ideas also.

P.s. I really don't want to spend more than a grand.

Thanks again!

Well active pickups are meant for high gain music, so that rules out the LTD unless you get the model with the SD JB/59 combo, which are great pickups.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Get the ESP in the amber sunburst model with the Duncans.
A friend of mine owns one and its amazing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Reds3031
Well active pickups are meant for high gain music, so that rules out the LTD unless you get the model with the SD JB/59 combo, which are great pickups.

Yea, the sunburst comes with the JB/59 combo... Perhaps I would have created a better thread by comparing the ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 (JB/59 setup) to the Epi Les paul Ultra II
Quote by OceanofNoise
Get the ESP in the amber sunburst model with the Duncans.
A friend of mine owns one and its amazing.

Have you played it?
Quote by StratPat
Well it's a $900 against 2 $500 guitars....

Ya, I think TS made a mistake in the OP.
Ok... additional guitar added... need opinions again lol... sorry guys.
Personally I'd get the ESP; The Epi is just ugly IMO(quilt cherry + gold hardware = eww IMO) and I wouldn't be caught dead with it, the Michael Kelly doesn't look that good durability-wise to me, and I can think of very little wrong with the PRS, but come on, Seymour Duncan JB/59 set and 24 frets? Beauty. True beauty.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
well seeing as all of those are Les Paul models, i would say get the Epi or the Michael Kelly. also on Musicians Friend you can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio for $1000, if you are willing to spend 1 grand, i would go for the Studio.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by necrosis1193
Personally I'd get the ESP; The Epi is just ugly IMO(quilt cherry + gold hardware = eww IMO) and I wouldn't be caught dead with it, the Michael Kelly doesn't look that good durability-wise to me, and I can think of very little wrong with the PRS, but come on, Seymour Duncan JB/59 set and 24 frets? Beauty. True beauty.

Agreed.

Quote by aradine
well seeing as all of those are Les Paul models, i would say get the Epi or the Michael Kelly. also on Musicians Friend you can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio for $1000, if you are willing to spend 1 grand, i would go for the Studio.

Respectfully disagrees - High end LTDs are better than low end Gibsons IMO.

Also, I think the pickups on the LTD would be better than the stock Epiphones.

TS - what happened to your old guitar?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Jan 29, 2009,
For the Price I'd get the Michael Kelly. But regardless of price, LTD.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Alright now I say defitley ESP those pickups should suit your needs alot better than the EMG Eclipse you had in there before.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
The LTD with the duncans ftw

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Reds3031

TS - what happened to your old guitar?

My sister was over my house the other day and she brought my nephew (her son) with her. While we were in the kitchen he went and found my guitar and started trying to play it, ended up dropping it, and destroyed the neck/head

I couldn't be mad though cause he's pretty awesome. I know I could get it fixed, but I'm using this opportunity as an excuse to get a new guitar

I think I might pick him up one of those cheap starter guitars too. lol.
I'd get the Michael Kelly. Not overpriced like the ESP and Epi and a great playing and really nice looking guitar.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jan 29, 2009,
Those who suggested the Michael Kelly... can you give me reasons why?
I have a PRS SE Singlecut, it is a nice guitar and feels well made. You can play pretty much anything you like on it. I have played rock, metal and some more jangly stuff as well. I find it sounds good. When playing you just get on with it and don't give the guitar a second thought. Find one in a shop and give it a go.

I have not played the other guitars you list so can't compare.
i would go for the patriot custom... but that's what i like

what about the necks, have you played them, cause they are really different in each one

Edit: I SAY, POLL!!!
Last edited by deluxity at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by deluxity
i would go for the patriot custom... but that's what i like

what about the necks, have you played them, cause they are really different in each one

Edit: I SAY, POLL!!!

Unfortunately I don't think I can add a poll once the thread has started, I believe you have to do it at the start. I could be wrong though?
Never played the patriot custom because they are tough to find in the wild. But as far as the components and build quality for the price it beats the others. The Rockfield Pups in it are great. And it's a very very sexy guitar.

I'm planning on trying one this summer and picking one up if I like it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Never played the patriot custom because they are tough to find in the wild. But as far as the components and build quality for the price it beats the others. The Rockfield Pups in it are great. And it's a very very sexy guitar.

I'm planning on trying one this summer and picking one up if I like it.

I hear that they're pretty heavy though? anyone?
Quote by thfc1799
I hear that they're pretty heavy though? anyone?

meh, I don't think they would be any heavier than any other Mahogany LP.

I'm a little biased since I love heavy guitars, my Hellraiser Avenger is sooo heavy. Heavier than any LP i've played.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I'd go for the Kelley if only for the ebony fingerboard. That'll play better than any rosewood one. The price is good but I'd really like to hear it and compare. Then again at the price you can so easily swap the pups to get the sound you prefer. Isn't it weird how different some LP types can be?
If you like the Les Paul style, i would also recommend checking out a Tradition S-20... Very Nice for the price.
"Kill one man, you're a MURDERER. Kill many, and you're a CONQUERER. Kill them all and you're a GOD."
Definitely go PRS, I love those things.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
PRS is the best option, I think.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.