Ok, so i've been playing for like 10 months, but i've progressed really well. Im quite good at alternate and economy picking, even though i could get a bit faster, and i'm learning to sweep with my teacher. Technical Difficulties is a song i set myself as a goal some time ago, and i think i could start working on it. But before i learn it, what should i do or know? Should i do some special exercises, maybe some of Paul's string skipping i was thinking, and maybe learn a song a little easier that could help me.

So, what do you recommend me to do/learn in order to get prepared for Technical Difficulties?

PS: I don't want to create another thread so i'm gonna ask another question here. I've tried to learn some Ozzy songs like Crazy Train or Bark at the Moon, but i have problems doing the open string strummings and then playing the power chords, for example:

e -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B --------------5----------------5----------------3----------------------------------------
G --------------6----------------4----------------2----------------2------------2----------
D --------------7----------------6----------------4----------------2------------2----------
A 0-----00----------000--------------000---------------000---------0------------0----------
E ---------------------------------------------------------------------------3~------------

or

PM----| PM----| PM---
|----||------------------------------|
|--8-||-10---------10---------10-----|
|--7-||--9----------9----------9-----|
|--5-||--7----------7----------7-----|
|----||----0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0----0-0-|
|----||------------------------------|

I 've never played song with this kind of rhythm playing/riffs, so i find it really hard to nail, what do you recommend me to be able to play these riffs properly?
Last edited by MuffinBrain at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by MuffinBrain
Ok, so i've been laying for like 10 months, but i've progressed really well. Im quite good at alternate and economy picking, even though i could get a bit faster, and i'm learning to sweep with my teacher. Technical Difficulties is a song i set myself as a goal some time ago, and i think i could start working on it. But before i learn it, what should i do or know? Should i do some special exercises, maybe some of Paul's string skipping i was thinking, and maybe learn a song a little easier that could help me.

So, what do you recommend me to do/learn in order to get prepared for Technical Difficulties?

Laying for 10 months!? Don't you get bedsores?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
xD Laying... anyways...

Practice string skipping, and practice quick scalar runs. He doesn't do almost any sweeping (unless you would count that dimished run in the verse a sweep... it's economy picked for me).

This song isn't too hard, it just has a fast string skipping section in the solo, and a fast E minor pentatonic run. I'm not really sure other than that though... I don't remember off-hand.

Though I do doubt at 10 months you'll be able to get the solo up to speed... maybe the rest, but not the solo.
sorry i meant played ahahah
Diminished Fifth of course i won't be able to play it at full speed but i could perfectly do it with a little practice at 75% speed and then work it up. Thanks fo the suggestions and keep'em coming
As for the Ozzy songs, just do the same your going to do with Techincal Difficulties. Start out slow, and build up the tempo. And when I say slow, I mean slow. Make sure you start out at a speed that your really comfortable with. Don't just play it where you can hit some notes, and are missing the others. If you do this, you're only training yourself to play it wrong. I know it'll be hard, in fact, I find myself guilty of the same thing to.
Oh, And use a metronome.

Best of luck.
i have a question about how to pick the intro/verse, right now I alternate pick every note (down, up, down, up, etc) but is there an easier way to play it?
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by halloweenhead
i have a question about how to pick the intro/verse, right now I alternate pick every note (down, up, down, up, etc) but is there an easier way to play it?

I can play it both economy and alternate.

I like Economy cause you can add those semi harmonics to give it a bit more spice.

But ye ultimately using both techniques is best.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??