Ok can someone explain to me what string guage is? and is the higher number thicker? or thinner

also, my guitar currently has 9-42 strings (what ever that means) and i just bought new strings that are 10-46 when i change to the new strings do i have to do anything differently to my guitar? or just change them as i normally would

also whats the lowest and highest tunning i can tune to with 10-46 strings

thankyou
Dean
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Higher=thicker. You may have to make some truss rod adjustments and set up the intonation. You could probably go as low as 1 step down if you have a long scale guitar. I would never tune up though unless it's just a few strings to get to an open tuning.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
oh ok thanks, how do i know if i have to make truss rod adjustments, and what are the consequences if i dont

Join The NSW FTW Group
Don't mess with the truss rod unless you have too and you probably don't.
Quote by irishstang_87
Americans. And I'm American. But Americans in general piss me off.

Quote by MightyAl
But they all fall under the catagory i like to call sh!tcore.

Quote by Union Jake
Oh and BTW i didn't start it, i was like WTF at first but then everyone else did it, and i didn't wanna be left out,
ok sweet, thanks i wont play with it

Join The NSW FTW Group
If you ever do need to fiddle with your truss rod, NEVER do it yourself, you absolutely must take it to a professional, you easily destroy your guitar if you do not know what you are doing when adjusting the truss rod.
Quote by RisingFreedom09
If you ever do need to fiddle with your truss rod, NEVER do it yourself, you absolutely must take it to a professional, you easily destroy your guitar if you do not know what you are doing when adjusting the truss rod.

Dude, I did it without ever having worked on my guitar about 3 years ago just by reading some stuff on projectguitar.com. It's not as hard as people make it out to be. Although if you do manage to **** up, it's a really expensive thing to fix.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs