Page 1 of 2
Okay I'm gonna buy an amp soon I'm saving now for a splawn competition (incase you didn't notice my sig ) and am wondering if this is right for me, I'm just making sure.

I'm looking for Plexi tones (Zep, Hendrix, Clapton) Hotrod Plexi/JCM800 (Van halen, scorpions, Bon jovi)

I also want Queen/Brian may tones AC/DC tones, stuff like that. and EJ tones to.

I really need it to have a great lead tone and an awesome amount of mids. I can also use High Gain tones but not like super high gain, think Skillet, switchfoot, Kutless Steve Vai, and Petrucci.

the other amps I've considered are:

Mesa Mark IV
Ceriatone Plexi
EVH 5150III
Budda Superdrive 45
Soldano Avenger

There are others but I'm pretty much dead set on the Splawn I just want some second opinions and if there is something better let me know.

The plexi and Hot rod plexi tones are the most important to me btw.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
why though, it's nothing more than a mesa,I love it but it's not worth the 2k to me. If I'm gonna get a mesa I'm gonna get a Mark IV... anyways remember I'm looking for plexi tones

EDIT you mean triple, delete two of em
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I'm thinking either Bugera or get a valveking and mod it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...

if anything I might get a bugera 1960
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Superdrive
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I really considered the superdrive but I don't think it has enough gain
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I'm thinking either Bugera or get a valveking and mod it.

+40

Seriously though, the Splawn should probably be pretty sweet, but if you can, I'd try out the Budda especially as that seems right up your alley as well. The 5150 III might be good too, but you may not use all of its channels, Mark IV would be good for a Petrucci sound, but it's mid gain sounds are really lacking imo. The Avenger is really more of a rhythm amp, like an SLO voiced more for metal, I'm sure it could pull of lead tones, but probably not really what you're wanting. The Ceriatone could be cool too, but I'm not sure how much gain it can pump out and if you'll have to crank it to get a good bit out of it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
There's this Blockhead BLK 100 at http://www.ultrasoundampsales.com/
They also have a Roccaforte Hi Gain 100 they're having a blowout on that's so supposed to easily cover classic rock and higher gain stuff
Germinos, pretty much any of them but these are Plexi Based http://www.germinoamps.com/headroom100.htm
There's the Voodoo V-Plex or one of the other V-Series at http://www.voodooamps.com/

But I think all of those are quite a bit more than the Splawn so you're best bet is probably just to stick with the Splawn. The Germinos are my favorite and I've only played them and the V-Plex so I can't offer you a great opinion on the others, it's just based on what I've heard.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'll look into that you two
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Well, you've forgotten more than I know about amps but have you looked at a Soldano Hot Rod? I got no idea how expensive they are, but they got two channels and the gain channel has that very EVH feel I know you dig.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
yeah I've never heard one though, I think they're 1800usd? I'm not sure. so used that means something like 1200
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
why though, it's nothing more than a mesa,I love it but it's not worth the 2k to me. If I'm gonna get a mesa I'm gonna get a Mark IV... anyways remember I'm looking for plexi tones

EDIT you mean triple, delete two of em

no kidding

I would say the 5153 would be nice to have the fendery tones of Channel 1, but that doesn't seem important to you. I don't think it has quite the punch that maybe the others do but my time on it was limited. Most say it can do the 5150/6505/XXX thing well too. The Soldanos are super articulate I hear. I think a Ceritone would be cool as fuk. But in the end, Splawn is the way. QRFTW!

Clean tones are not hugely important to me only when I need em I don't need em that often only when I"m doing really really clean stuff (obviously) or when recording, other than that I use my volume knob for most of my needs.

what about the marshall vintage modern or the JVM I didn't like the JVM I tried but the I've heard it sound very good, I actually like the vintage modern I tried though
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Look for a Splawn Modded Marshall. Sounds like what you want
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
my only problem is they cost a lot more
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
What's your max budget? They seem to sell for $1000-1200, the same as Competitions.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
really? I was seeing more like 15 to 1600. maybe not though, I'll look for em then.

my max budget is gonna be about 1000-1200.

and I'm seeing comps and quickrods going for under a 1000 on the splawn board
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
out of those i've only tried the budda superdrive (it was the 30 version though) and the avenger.

the avenger is badass, but may be a little modern-sounding. I didn't try it for all that long, though, so you may be able to dial that out. but it's more like the kind of amp i'd buy- for 80s metal and heavier, lol, as opposed to classic rock up to 80s metal. as i said, that's not to say it can't do the classic stuff, i know riffhog's slo seems to clean up very well indeed, and i know the avenger i tried cleaned up very well with the guitar's volume control. try one if you can, basically, but if you can't i'd personally put it down as "too modern".

i liked the budda too, very vintage-sounding though, a little like a vox (but got quite a bit more modern- a little like a vox combined with a cornford, that type of thing). it'd do your lower gain stuff, i'm not sure sure about the higher gain stuff. not that it won't do it, but that other things would likely do it better, and the budda especially might not be the best choice considering most of the lower gain tones you're after are marshally. though that's assuming the budda 45 sounds roughly the same as the 30, which it may not do. i've only tried one budda so have no idea if all buddas have a "signature" sound, or if they all sound quite different.

bogner shiva might be worth a try...

things like roccaforte, peters etc. might be worth a look too, if you can find them, i haven't tried them, though. fargen amps get a good rep. too, but again haven't tried them... ditto aitken.

big problem is i know what i'd look into over here if i were after those tones, but that's likely to be the exact opposite of what you should be looking into in the states, if only based on relative value. plus i haven't been able to try a lot of the things which are available to you as they either have no UK dealers, or very few in areas miles away from me...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 29, 2009,
yeah I know what you're saying, bogner shiva, I'll look into it.

the budda I like alot from what I"m hearing it sounds more like a JTM45 than a AC30 or something like that think ACDC with a bit less gain, but it won't go over that so I don't think I can do it.

I've never tried the avenger either actually but heard great things about it and the SLO and I love the sound of the SLO so I was like that might be interesting.

I've heard good things about roccafort but have never tried one or heard it in person.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
the budda i tried had quite a bit of gain... i was getting van halen out of it without too much bother (though it was a bit too thick-sounding for VH). it had the gain (not modern br00talz, but certainly enough for 80s metal), just the voicing was pretty vintage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I guess I'm just not a fan of the Marshall JVM. It is certainly not a bad amp. I'd open a user account over on the Splawn forums and start asking peoples advice. Lots of those guys have been through more than one Splawn. Jaekae's tone had a nice marshall ring to it but I don't remember which Engl he has. In the Tone testing thread.

Brett - How heavy metal do you think you will ever need? Scorps?
I'm basing it off clips thats why, I played the budda 18 once and loved it but go figure I"m sure the 18 was a plexi clone

EDITl yeah I already have an account there and have asked quite a few questions.

how heavy metal? hmm. Scorps on the low end of it on the extreme amount of metal for me would be Skillet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNVFWaD82E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50M5sNP7ANM

and Pillar type amounts of gain...

I think the both use Triple Recs or MarkIVs

but thats the extreme high of how much gain I use
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jan 29, 2009,
yeah, as i said, it's possible that the different models use different designs...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah, a thd flexi 50 might also be worth a look, in addition toeverything else which has been mentioned.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's a pity you guys don't get the new MI Audio amp line (the Revelation) out there, cause it'd be pretty good for you if you could afford it. Course, it's three and a half Gs in the country it was made, but I got to try one and it's got beautiful tone, albeit requiring too much fiddling with EQ and whatever for my taste.

http://www.miamplification.com/introduction.htm

If you're interested, drop Michael at MI an email and ask him. He also happens to be one of the world's great people, so you can be sure you'll get a prompt and concise response.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'll look into it, thanks!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Dude, if you get a Bogner Shiva though...you gotta promise me that if you end up not liking it, you'll sell it to me because they are pretty much my dream amp. And if you do, I'll sell all my other stuff.

EDIT- The other thing with the MI amps is that if you ask him nicely and offer a good price, Michael may be willing to build you something custom. I know that he was making Soldano X88R clones a while back for $1000AUD for a few people on an Australian guitar site I subscribe to, so if you ask him and say what you're after, he may be willing to do it for about what you got in US dollars. Plus, with our low $$ it may even be cheaper than I thought.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Jan 29, 2009,
okay, I promise, only if you buy my laney now .

but seriously I don't know why not
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^ Sorry mate, I got a Soldano preamp on my way. And I've always wanted a rack setup.
Quote by Cathbard
I'll look into the MI stuff thanks.

no shiva for you! haha

I don't think I will it's waaay out ther in my price range.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm basing it off clips thats why, I played the budda 18 once and loved it but go figure I"m sure the 18 was a plexi clone

EDITl yeah I already have an account there and have asked quite a few questions.

how heavy metal? hmm. Scorps on the low end of it on the extreme amount of metal for me would be Skillet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNVFWaD82E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50M5sNP7ANM

and Pillar type amounts of gain...

I think the both use Triple Recs or MarkIVs

but thats the extreme high of how much gain I use

- my bad. I forgot what thead I was in. It's all in your OP. Not familiar with Skillet. I can't either Youtube vids to start up. I'll try again later.
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'll look into the MI stuff thanks.

no shiva for you! haha

I don't think I will it's waaay out ther in my price range.

Really? I'd seen quite a few Shivas in the $1200 range a month or so ago.

For some reason I keep thinking Skillet is an 80s rock band But when you said Pillar, I now understand how heavy you need it to get haha.

If you just want the heaviness and not necessarily the tone, the Splawn might work well, but now that I understand what exactly you need, I'm going to change my mind and recommend the Mark IV, 5150 III and Avenger
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
, no skillet is about the same gain as pillar but not quite as muddy.

I would really like a Mark IV the problem is thats the MOST amount of gain I'll use, and I"m really more of a marshall guy I think.

think Van Halen, AC/DC, Boston, Scorpions, Ratt, Stuff like that and I think they all used either plexis or JCM800s other than ratt they used AORs haha.

the Shivas I saw were all over 1400 on the bay.

I don't need gobs and gobs of gain that often, but it's nice to have when needed.

if there is an amp out there that does The hot rodded marshall thing as good or better than the splawn AND a good high gain american tone I would get that if it's under 1500 used
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
bump
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I still think you should go for the Superdrive, and just keep your AOR for heavier stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Page 1 of 2