Hey,

I have a chance getting a mesa for a good price. its a mesa 112 caliber 50+ combo. i really want a lead tone simular to petrucci's lead tone in the song, "under the glass moon". I was wondering if anyone had any clips/MP3's of this amp combo or head. On youtube it sounds ok but nothing is really amazing

im wondering if i put like a BB preamp or some distortion/OD pedal to get that smooth, electricfied,heavy and tight lead tone as in under the glass moon.

also read some reviews that this amp is a bit unreliable...is this true?

has anyone had 1st hand experiece with it?

thanks
If I remember correctly, those amps are the predecessors of the F-series amps and Express series. I remember playing an F-50 a while back, and the distortion on it kinda reminded me of old Metallica or Dream Theater, so if the Caliber is any similar, it should be pretty good for that kind of tone.

I can't comment on Mesa's reliability because I've never owned one, but I've heard mixed opinions on that.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
It hasn't got the flexibility or all the bells and whistles of the MKIV Petrucci tends to use, but it'll still get you close tonally. The GEQ should be enough to fine tune it to your tastes.

Reliability is rarely an issue with Mesa - they're built like tanks - but if you've heard anything specific be sure to keep it in mind.

Have a look at The Boogie Board (probably the biggest and most helpful MB forum) and see if anyone else has the same complaints.
true,

I donno ive read at the forum that some calibers tend to flextaute in volume, cutting and in and out of the mix. and some other insodents with the mids and gain knobs crapping out on them.
How much are you paying for it?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I think you'd be better off finding an F-series.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by tenaciousjp

i have no idea if you can get a pertuchi sound out of it but that's a pretty good price
i've got one. but the mid knob isn't working properly on the lead channel and that was where the distortion texture when from a swarm of mosquitoes to a double-barrel flame thrower. so i have to take it into have it repaired
Quote by sethp
i have no idea if you can get a pertuchi sound out of it but that's a pretty good price
i've got one. but the mid knob isn't working properly on the lead channel and that was where the distortion texture when from a swarm of mosquitoes to a double-barrel flame thrower. so i have to take it into have it repaired

yeah i read that some people have that problem and is unfixable from what i heard.

i was scared about this, i dont have the money to really fix it.

^^ also wouldnt mind a F 30 i would actually pick it over the caliber hands down. there pretty rare where i live.
I think you could definantly get a good-sounding old-Petrucci tone with one, and putting an OD (like a Tubescreamer) in front of it would definantly tighten it up and help you achieving that tone I'd figure.
I e-mailed the guy.

He said hes never had a problem with the amp before, especially the ones I mentioned.

but he said with 20-25 year old amps, some small componets ware out and he said he can't assure if anything will arise, but as of right now the amp is in 100% working condition.

Something is just :S to me.

Should i still go for this?

if i were to resell it, how much could i get for it.
I would go for it, then take it to a tech and get it checked out after that. If there's any potential problems that could be fixed then, get them done.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
I would go for it, then take it to a tech and get it checked out after that. If there's any potential problems that could be fixed then, get them done.

how much does it cost to get a tech to check it out?
No idea. You'll have to call around and find that out.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I have an F-series which is quite similar to the DC amps, and the F series are quite similar to the mark sereies, and John uses the mark IV/V's lol so i think you can get his tones from it. Well, i know you can on an F sereies so im pretty sure you could on the DC.
Yeah, I would LOVE a F series

But I can't find one in Toronto(Canada)

And if I did f50's seem to go for 800 bucks!! thats like for a red stripe mark III in the states

F30's go for like 700+
The DC arent worse amps than the F series, you might even like it more seeing as you get the benefit of the graphic EQ
Quote by tenaciousjp
true,

I donno ive read at the forum that some calibers tend to flextaute in volume, cutting and in and out of the mix. and some other insodents with the mids and gain knobs crapping out on them.

The volume problem just sounds like a power tube problem. Could happen to any amp.
Also..."fluctuate"? Haha. That was some mad butchering of that word.