So I am looking into a new head. I have narrowed it down to three amps. A moss custom amp a peavey tripple xxx or a peavey 6505. My main question is how different is the 6505 to the 5150 combo. I had a 5150 combo and could not stand it. Granted it was only 60 watts I still did not like the tone I got out of it. So if I was to purchase the 6505, would my tone be different. I am going for a really high gain low mid tone like prada or a day to remember. I have a schecter hellraiser and a mesa oversized cab. Let me know what you all think and also which amp you think I should get.
I think you should check out what those bands use. Most likely thy are using a 6505......
dont know much about any of them, but i know matt tuck from bullet for my valentine uses the 6505, so have a listen, and see what u like
do you mean The Devil Wears Prada band? or is there another band just called Prada? well anyways if its TDWP then i know for a fact that they use mesa's dunno wut kind exactly...probly dual or triple rectos but if you are going for that sound then i would go for the triple xxx because with the right dialing you can get a mesa recto sound out of it...some people even say it sounds better than the mesa rectos but i am no expert haha.....
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD MH-1000 String Thru w/SD's (brown ftw!)
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Amps/Pedals
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Tech 21 Boost R.V.B. Analog Reverb Pedal
Line 6 Spider III combo
the 6505 and 5150 are exactly the same. (with the exception that the combo is 60 watts and the head is .. 120 i think)

if you didn't like the combo, its unlikely you'll enjoy the 6505 head barring variables with your favorite cabinet.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by fearthellamas
dont know much about any of them, but i know matt tuck from bullet for my valentine uses the 6505, so have a listen, and see what u like

But, Micheal Paget from Bullet for my Valentine, uses Triple Rectifiers.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/art_gall.php?id=663

I think the get their sound from mixing the two and when I saw them (although that was like 2 years ago) both Paget and Tuck were using Triple Rectifiers live.
5150 and 6505 are the same
5150II and 6505+ are the same

5150 vs 5150II
6505 vs 6505+ One extra preamp tube to help out on the cleans and you have an extra eq section. But the 6505+ does have a tad less gain and a smidge less aggression(raw) to it compared to the 6505. That said you might actually perfer either or depending on your tastes. But its not really that noticable unless you seriously do a side by side.

And as for the combo, it uses a different transformer then its bigger brother which contributes to a difference in tone. Alongside only being 60 watt's your gonna have less headroom. And a added pain is the Sheffield speakers cant hold a candle to a good set of Celestions. So you would have to waste money if you buy a combo when your just going to have to replace the speakers with something better down the line..

My vote is go with a head version and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
5150 and 6505 are the same
5150II and 6505+ are the same

5150 vs 5150II
6505 vs 6505+ One extra preamp tube to help out on the cleans and you have an extra eq section. But the 6505+ does have a tad less gain and a smidge less aggression(raw) to it compared to the 6505. That said you might actually perfer either or depending on your tastes. But its not really that noticable unless you seriously do a side by side.

And as for the combo, it uses a different transformer then its bigger brother which contributes to a difference in tone. Alongside only being 60 watt's your gonna have less headroom. And a added pain is the Sheffield speakers cant hold a candle to a good set of Celestions. So you would have to waste money if you buy a combo when your just going to have to replace the speakers with something better down the line..

My vote is go with a head version and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab...

+1

He knows his shit
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 29, 2009,
machine head and trivium both use the 6505

just to get it out there
My Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX

Cort VX 2V

Marshall JTM 60

Boss MT-2

Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal (BB-2)
TDWP run's two heads in stereo a piece and use OD pedals.
Chris uses a 6505 and a Triple Rectifier and uses a TS9DX .
Jeremy uses a JCM 800 2203 and a Triple Rectifier and uses a SD-1 and TS9.

I think a good amp head to go for is the Peavey Triple XXX. Br00t4ls and Versatility. =]
I suggest the peavey JSX. There are some pretty good deals for them on guitar center's used ads:
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listID=105039531

Or if you want the 6505, can't beat this price. It's missing a face plate but eh, just looks br00t4ler
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=105039100 550 for 6505 head
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
XXX gets my vote. It can nail those recto tones and then it can also do some tight 6505 tones with a nice od pedal. And the cleans are a piece better than the 6505.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Moss amps are sooooo sick.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
id go for the XXX. to me, it sounds like a tightened up cross between a marshall and a rectifier, so it should be pretty much be what your looking for.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.