Hey guys, just gone back to school and started grade 10. I took up music this year as that is one of my main interests in this point of time. Our teacher wants us to play a small piece to show what level we are all at. At the moment I'd say I'm probably a beginner-to-just-intermediate player and have been playing bass for 7 months. My question to you guys is, what song is a good beginner song that shows a basic understanding of the instrument but also shows some skill and is just interesting? Thanks to everyone that helps out.
Quote by JessyB96
Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades - Brand New?

I gave that a listen and that's quite a cool bass line! Any more input from you guys?
Quote by JessyB96
Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades - Brand New?

You sir get ONE HUNDRED internet fresh-baked cookies for referencing one of my favorite bands and an amazing song.

I would suggest just picking a song by one of your favorite bands where the bass stands out quite a bit and learn the tabs to it (if they're fairly well known they'll probably be some on this site). If your going to be playing along with a song you might want to be sure it's something many people could listen too, not heavy stuff thats not everyones' taste. If you're playing just for around a minute just as a demonstration, the aforementioned "Glory Fades" is pretty good.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Santeria by Sublime is a fun one. Californication of course. Know your enemy - RATM is pretty fun also, maybe even Bombtrack?

is it a solo or do you get to play a track in the background?
Quote by slap-a-bass
Just another day-Oingo Boingo!

Little Girls - Oingo Boingo!
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Badge by Cream. Its a pretty simple bassline, but it stands out and sounds awesome. Or Crossroads by Cream. Basically anything by Cream