so g major scale would be this

2 3 5
3 5
2 4 5
2 4 5
2 3 5
3 5

So if i go to A as my root on the low E i can do the same pattern? Is this a permanent patterns for everything with the major scale ? Or is there more patterns?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I dunno what your trying to ask but you should just play it octive to octive, so no A on the last string 5th fret and also i would play it
|----------------------------------------------------0--2---3------------|
|--------------------------------------0---1----3------------------------|
|-----------------------------0---2---------------------------------------|
|---------------0---2---4------------------------------------------------|
|-----0-2--3-------------------------------------------------------------|
|--3----------------------------------------------------------------------|
right but that same pattern on the A as my root low E strings sounds good. If i go all the way up the neck its keeps going higher and higher ascdefg. What im saying that shape . Is there more shapes . Sorry its hard to explain. Look at the shape im making doing the scale i described. THen play it all over the fret board using low E string as roots ABCDEFG.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Jan 29, 2009,
oh i see what you where trying to ask,
You mean like every major scale goes tone, tone, semi tone, etc.
then yes thats why different scales have different sharps and flats, to make it even, where the semi tones, and tones are
If your root not is A then that would be the A major scale, when you play the major scale the shape stays the same no matter the root note.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
um yeah sorta but, its real hard to explain but every major scale has the same pattern like i said before in the way of semi tones and tones and your sort of doing that by playing that pattern up the neck but it doesnt work on every starting note. G has 1 sharp F sharp and if you move up to an A scale its got 3, F, C, and G sharp you just gotta make sure you get those notes right and play it octive to octive
Quote by Switchmunky7
If your root not is A then that would be the A major scale, when you play the major scale the shape stays the same no matter the root note.

thast what i want to hear TY. Now is there more shapes other than the one i m maKING that can be played all over ?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
**** wait i fu*ked up don't worry about the fourth string lol, got lost sorry
Yep, that shape would be right (apart from errors?) starting on 6th string. Next job is to start on 5th string positions. You should end up being able to play all the major scales in almost any position on the neck. Then do minors and w2hatever else takes your fancy.
OMFG @ this thread. If the TS wasn't totally confused before he/she sure as hell is now.

Guys, there are lots of very knowledgable people who visit this forum regurlarly. (I'm not one of them btw) If you don't know what your talking about then leave it to someone else to answer or you'll only end up confusing the person with the query.

There are some good lessons on UG about scales I suggest that as a first point of call. Now I'm not one those knowledgable people I mentioned earlier but when I learned scales I was taught to learn the scale formula and the intervals of the scale by their notes, not by a position on the fretboard. That way will not help long term.

Learn the fretboard, learn the scale intervals and then you can play the scale in any position you like because you'll know know what notes are within that scale and where to find them on your neck.

Hope that helps until the clever folks arrive.
Quote by Free
OMFG @ this thread. If the TS wasn't totally confused before he/she sure as hell is now.

Guys, there are lots of very knowledgable people who visit this forum regurlarly. (I'm not one of them btw) If you don't know what your talking about then leave it to someone else to answer or you'll only end up confusing the person with the query.

There are some good lessons on UG about scales I suggest that as a first point of call. Now I'm not one those knowledgable people I mentioned earlier but when I learned scales I was taught to learn the scale formula and the intervals of the scale by their notes, not by a position on the fretboard. That way will not help long term.

Learn the fretboard, learn the scale intervals and then you can play the scale in any position you like because you'll know know what notes are within that scale and where to find them on your neck.

Hope that helps until the clever folks arrive.

Follow this advice. Ts, you just learned a pattern for the major scale in two octaves. Yes, the root note is G. Yes, if you move it up two frets you would be playing the A major scale. But I don't think you've learned anything about scales. You need to learn how to construct the major scale. From that, you should be able to construct chords and play in different keys. The Crusade articles are a great way to learn the major scale and other music theory. Go search for it in the columns section.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
all right, TS asked if starting on the A note on the 6th string and playing all the notes of the G major scale from there is still a scale, the answer is yes. it is called the A Dorian mode, it is called that because it starts on the second note of the G major scale (A) and goes through all of the note of the G major scale from the A note (A B C D E F# G A). but please take note of this, just because the modes of the G major scale have the same notes as the G major scale it doesn't mean that you can play any of the modes over a standard I-IV-V progression in G.

i could go on and on about modes until the cows come home, i suggest that you go into the Music Theory board and listen and take in as much from them as possible, they are much more knowledgeable about modes than i am.

one more point, modes are not the be all end all of music. in fact writing with modes is rather stupid, unless the point is to have alot of key changes in one chord progression, as writting in a specific mode means that you would struggle with anything more than a 2 chord vamp, and more than 3 chords wouldn't work because you would end up resolving back to G major. but again, read up as much as you can from the more knowledgeable people.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
all right, TS asked if starting on the A note on the 6th string and playing all the notes of the G major scale from there is still a scale, the answer is yes. it is called the A Dorian mode, it is called that because it starts on the second note of the G major scale (A) and goes through all of the note of the G major scale from the A note (A B C D E F# G A). but please take note of this, just because the modes of the G major scale have the same notes as the G major scale it doesn't mean that you can play any of the modes over a standard I-IV-V progression in G.

i could go on and on about modes until the cows come home, i suggest that you go into the Music Theory board and listen and take in as much from them as possible, they are much more knowledgeable about modes than i am.

one more point, modes are not the be all end all of music. in fact writing with modes is rather stupid, unless the point is to have alot of key changes in one chord progression, as writting in a specific mode means that you would struggle with anything more than a 2 chord vamp, and more than 3 chords wouldn't work because you would end up resolving back to G major. but again, read up as much as you can from the more knowledgeable people.

That's not what he was asking at all. He was asking if he can play the same pattern starting on the A note. Don't start talking about modes, because he obviously won't understand it. He still thinks of scales as patterns instead of groups of notes built off of a formula. He needs to actually learn a lot more theory before he should start concerning himself with modes.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by aradine
*pointless*

The TS's question was already answered, and that was not the answer.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.