Hey all. As of right now I have a Crate V18 212 amp (In the process of switching the tubes for something better), an MIM SSS strat, and some pedals. I am looking into picking up another guitar. I would like something that can get a little heavier than my strat.

You know my current gear, the music I am looking to play is hotter blues up to some metal if possible. It doesn't need a trem system but it would be nice, it should have a VERY thin neck if possible, and nice stock pups. I have about 450 dollars for the guitar itself. There are just so many out there that look good on paper but I would not be able to go down to the shop and try out each and every one I have been looking at. Can anyone make a short list of some guitars I should make sure to try out when I get the time to hit the shop?
check out ibanez. i just recently got a s520ex and stock out of the box i like it better than my gibson lp. you want thin, light-weight and versatility for about $450- ibanez is a good place to start looking. they totally converted me.
EDIT:

Meh 450 dollars

Prs custom 24 will do exactly what you want

Seriously it does Perfect "hot blues", decent/good metal, has strat like sounds. Stock pickups are good. Amazing Sustain. Good cleans. Warm but also bright tones.

Playability is good (good reach, cause of setneck/necktru) and quality is 1 of the most reliable in the guitar world.

Check this Soundclip to hear it (Stock);
guitar - amp (no fx/pedals);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTSdH8H12A

2000 +/- dollars though

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 29, 2009,
lol yeah, with this economy I should probably stick with my budget. Any other suggestions? I'll also be checking out the ibanez's I can afford.
Only Ibanez in that price range.

Most versatile for the price, and are good guitars to expand on (new pups etc.) if you want too.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
ok cool, any specific ones that stand out within the ibanez models? I will be on the look out for a used s520ex as well seeing as it seems just out of my range.
ibanez s320 has pretty much the same features as s520ex just not as "fancy." the s320 should be right in your price range.
Cort M600 for a modern look or Z44 for a LP shape. Either should be in your budget and as good as more expensive Ibanez options.
check out some epiphone les paul customs maybe. may not be the thinnest necks available but i think the les paul has a great clean and very agressive distortion sound.
yeah, i love my gibson lp and the epiphones give you the same features for a whole lot less buck. but i really gotta admit, my ibanez does so much more for me than my gib. i'll probably get a good stoning from the les paul snobs for that but f#ck 'em. truth is truth/proof is proof. my opinion.
Don't mean to dredge up my old thread, but about those epiphone les pauls. With my price range this is what I can afford. Are any of those on par or better as far as general build quality goes than the ibanez guitars suggested in the thread?
Quote by GuitaristTrue
anything PRS if you can afford it.

they are insanely versatile guitars

^
this.

for the same $499 of one of the LPs you linked to you can get a PRS tremonti SE. I have one that I love.
epis, like gibsons have good solid feel to em; maybe not as good as days of yore but good build quality nonetheless imho. but, like gibsons their necks/headstocks are very prone to breakage. i learned this lesson the hard way. like i said, i still love my gib- its a great guitar but my ibanez, for me, is so much more right. i would say build quality is on the same level. again just my opinion from my own experiences
Quote by uctlaum01
^
this.

for the same $499 of one of the LPs you linked to you can get a PRS tremonti SE. I have one that I love.

yep, maybe pick up an SE custom (they're 600 new, so probably cheaper 2nd hand)

played it and now I don't even like the ibanez prestiges anymore if only they had a 24 fret version I'd buy it instantly
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.