OOOOOOK, so one sunday wich was my 21st bday, i asked my bro if i can borrow one of his guitars... so he breaks out his acoustic/electric hybrid guitar and hands me the amp, tuner, guitar (in a case DUH), cords and picks to get my started... so i get home and i look online on some starter info

so its been a few days and iv made A LITTLE progress NOT MUCH AT ALL but a little, but that is not what im worried about.

so i look at the guitar and all find out what type it is and research it online and stuff like that and now im really really worried im trying to learn on what could be a quick peice of crap.

its an Estaban American Legacy Coral Sun Limited Edition... it comes in a starter set with dvds and the equipment my bro lent me and all... here is a link http://electronics.hsn.com/esteban-coral-sun-limited-edition-30-piece-guitar-set_p-3382791_xp.aspx

so far im not really having problems with it but it has me worried, so far i think it sounds amazing, my brother was having problems keeping it intune and i dont know how he was having these problems but im not, i check it every time before i play and i MIGHT have to make a small adjustment.

but i dont know if im worried for no reason or what... it seams fine for now.

also is there any REALLY REALLY REALLY easy songs i can play around with and learn... i dont care what it is ill play it if i can learn from it.

please any advice, or thoughts on this guitar, songs anything... help a noob out!

Thanks for your time
dude.! i think this one would help you.. this is such a great article.. im tuned into this one also.. uhmmm for the song.. i think moment of truth by FM static would be an easy one..
but for the guitar im not really sure.. hehe
Quote by iamj0hn
dude.! i think this one would help you.. this is such a great article.. im tuned into this one also.. uhmmm for the song.. i think moment of truth by FM static would be an easy one..
but for the guitar im not really sure.. hehe

What article?
Don't worry about the guitar man. My starter was even worse than that. You don't need a Breedlove or something when you're just starting out.

As far as extremely easy songs, look up your fav songs in UG's search and look for chords versions. You need to be mastering your open chords.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

i just started working on open chords a few hours ago, so im no where near even being close to getting 1 of them down pat... before i was just doing some these practices.

Exercise 1

Place your hand on the 6th string with your fingers on frets 1 - 4.
Now go through the fingerings below (1 - index finger, 2 - middle finger, etc). Go through them one time on each string.
Do this as a daily exercise to build strength and speed. To increase the challenge,
play it in the opposite direction after you played it in the normal fashion.
Then you can try this on each string to increase the drills challenge even more. To go even farther,
you can try it on another set of 4 adjacent strings.

01. 1-2-3-4
02. 1-2-4-3
03. 1-3-2-4
04. 1-3-4-2
05. 1-4-2-3
06. 1-4-3-2
07. 2-1-3-4
08. 2-1-4-3
09. 2-3-1-4
10. 2-3-4-1
11. 2-4-1-3
12. 2-4-3-1
13. 3-1-2-4
14. 3-1-4-2
15. 3-2-1-4
16. 3-2-4-1
17. 3-4-1-2
18. 3-4-2-1
19. 4-1-2-3
20. 4-1-3-2
21. 4-2-1-3
22. 4-2-3-1
23. 4-3-1-2
24. 4-3-2-1

but now starting to work on the basic open chords and i gotta say ME FINGURES ARE RAW!!!! it actually hurts to type this lol... i had to stop playing for a while so i can let my fingures heal some, it was actually getting to where i couldn't press on a string because it hurt to much lol. its kind of odd because i have a high pain tolerance but this is a totally different type of pain i suppose...

anyways anyone have some advice for practicing open chords... and then i need advice for switching between chords so i can really really practice that then maybe ill start working on a song i love... I'm thinking Fade To Black by Metallica might sound good on this acoustic
Everyone asks for advice on how to practice chords when they first start out. But the only real advice is to just practice. There's not really anything that will make you develop strength and muscle memory except for practice bro.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

ok something i was thinking about... is there a way for my to build up muscles in my hand when im not playing like if in watching tv... iv been trying to think of a way lol
There are excersizers you can buy online or at local music stores. But I never got one. I think they suck. Just keep playing man, you don't really have to worry about these things. They'll just come to yuo as you progress.

Now, I know how it feels when you first start. I know what it's like to have to pull your fingers with you other hand, and pick sloppily. But, trust me, it will get better if you work at it.

Learning guitar is not something you'll get in a week. It takes months. I've been playing for two years, and it was fairly recently that I realized "hey, I'm not crap anymore".

But, trust me, if you truly want to learn, work for it. It gets easier, even though it doesn't feel like it. It's totally worth it.

Here are the lessons I used. Totally free. Just do everything he says

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

Best of luck to you =]
well now my fingers are really killing me... i was gona let them heal up some for the rest of the day but that damn guitar has like a magnetic force with me i just cant put it down lol. the basic chords are actually starting to get easier now and soon ill have them memorized, but i haven't even tried to switch between chords yet because i don't feel I'm ready for that quite yet. lol I'm surprised at my mom so far she has put up with me playing this stuff day and night for the past few days and she hasn't complained once YET... she hasn't even complained that I'm using ink from the printer to print off free lessons lol...

but all and all so far i feel I'm making quick progress... quicker then i thought i would at least and I'm actually starting to have a lot of fun with it.

something that is bugging me tho. sometimes its like i have to press down REALLY hard on the string to get it to play the note correctly, its to where my fingers are actually touching the neck... i turn the guitar before i start playing every time and i check it probably every 30 min to see if it is still in tune, so i don't know what is up with it.
Not a tuning issue. Finger strength issue. You'll have really hard fingertips, or calluses, if you keep playing. Those will enable you to press hard with no pain. It's good that you don't have a expensive guitar, because theyre easier to play. You'd miss out on this experience, hah.

What I mean is, I had a cheap starter. The action was high. It helped me develop great calluses, and actually made guitar playing easier when not playing a crap guitar. Hope that makes sense.

it does make sense lol but I'm just hoping that its just me not the guitar... just wondering but how long does it usually take for calluses to form lol
Took me a couple weeks.

LOL.! sorrr. i forgot to put the link of the article.. hehe ) here it is >> http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

this is just an introduction to the guitar.. but u can jump to this one if you want..

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i_2_chords_-_the_basics.html

just follow every part.. this is such a great article.. sorry that i forgot to put it.. and hey.. i think for ur motivation in learning a guitar.. i think you need to buy a good guitar.. that will just help you in learning how to play it.. you may want to look at the master information thread here in acoustic forum and look for the 300dollar guitar.. its just worth every buck.. you're so gonna like it after u have one of those..

cheers man.!
There are some great lessons on UG, read up on them, and if it's at all possible play with a friend whenever you can to ensure that you're not picking up bad techniques that may hinder your progress later on in your playing life. That said you can't argue with success so as long as you stick with it you will be fine. Don't worry about what guitar you're learning on, there's plenty of time to worry about that later when you have the money to get something nice.
none of my friends play anymore and my brother is reluctant to pick up his guitar anymore since hes really depressed over some personal issues

when I'm not playing I'm reading or printing something off to learn from so i think I'm on the right track, so far so good at least... I'm stuck with this crappy acoustic for a while until i can find a new job because i got laid off and got no extra cash flowing right now. but I'm pretty sure it wont be an acoustic that I buy... no offense or anything I'm just more or less a rock/metal type of guy lol
Quote by cronarct
ok something i was thinking about... is there a way for my to build up muscles in my hand when im not playing like if in watching tv... iv been trying to think of a way lol

The trick is to pick up the guitar instead of the remote! The only way to get better and stronger is to play and play and play and enjoy it.
Quote by cronarct
no offense or anything I'm just more or less a rock/metal type of guy lol

No one ever said acoustics were just for covering John Denver songs..
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jan 29, 2009,
yeah i checked it out, im doing some things off there for sure to help me out and if i need to i will use it as my main lessons.
yeah.! im in that one also.. and it help me alot in music theories..