Alright, being a blues guy, an Allman brothers fan and someone who liked Steve Vai's slide playing in Crossroads(If I recall, he recorded all the guitar parts, not just the ones he fights the karate kid with), I figure I should try and work on my slidework. The only problem though is I suck with a slide. Pretty much all I can do is the Zoso's two-string slide down to the nut after the tagline on Whole Lotta Love, and this weird little trick I found that sounds like a bird. Otherwise I'm crap on a slide though. Any tips or exercises for working up my proficiency with a slide, or, considering I learned most of my improvising skill from songs, songs that would help work up my slide abilities?

Any help is much appreciated as always.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Here are some slide tabs:
http://www.slidingzone.de/SLIDINGZONE/tabs.html

Otherwise, I suggest you practice keeping in tune. Start off without doing slides. Move the slide to a fret, play, mute. Move to a fret, play, mute. BTW, it's generally easier to play slide with your fingers. Mostly because you'll usually have to mute the strings after you play a note, otherwise they all tend to ring together. Remember to drag one of your fretting hand fingers behind the slide, against the strings, to cut down on noise.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by necrosis1193
Alright, being a blues guy, an Allman brothers fan and someone who liked Steve Vai's slide playing in Crossroads(If I recall, he recorded all the guitar parts, not just the ones he fights the karate kid with), I figure I should try and work on my slidework. The only problem though is I suck with a slide. Pretty much all I can do is the Zoso's two-string slide down to the nut after the tagline on Whole Lotta Love, and this weird little trick I found that sounds like a bird. Otherwise I'm crap on a slide though. Any tips or exercises for working up my proficiency with a slide, or, considering I learned most of my improvising skill from songs, songs that would help work up my slide abilities?

Any help is much appreciated as always.

check out next level guitar on youtube for a couple of blues based slide lessons.

as for the film, ry cooder was involved in the sound track and i would imagine he handled the slide duties if anyone did.
Thank you please.
I'm just getting into slide playing myself so I wouldn't take my word as law, but I'm finding the best thing to do that's helping me along the most is just to focus on getting each note bang-on right. I'm barely touching melody or any fancy tricks yet, the first hurdle is most definitely getting that A note when you want an A note, getting a Bb when you want a Bb, and not going sharp or flat ever.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.