i really like neoclassical for some reason and i am wondering how long does it take to play at a considerably fast speed?
My top 3 Influences

-Buckethead
-Jimi Hendrix
-Steve Vai
too many variables, like how much do you practice, how do you practice etc.etc.
oh obviosly O.o sorry, i play about 3 hours a day but 1 hour then break then 2 hours at like 12 at night every day im new at guitar so i have just been practicing a few arpeggios that i learned on youtube and using my keyboard as a metranome
My top 3 Influences

-Buckethead
-Jimi Hendrix
-Steve Vai
If you practice efficiently it doesn't take very long I don't think, but it really depends on what you define as being 'fast'. You also have to remember some things are easy to play fast, while others aren't.
what i am trying to play fast is (youtube)neoclassicalfan's sweep arpeggio lesson
My top 3 Influences

-Buckethead
-Jimi Hendrix
-Steve Vai
Quote by Electric Tears
i really like neoclassical for some reason and i am wondering how long does it take to play at a considerably fast speed?

DONT TRY TO PLAY FAST! play extremly clean first... and then slowly work ur way up... use alternate and economy picking... and practice sweeping.. its all about technqiqe.. do this for about 2-3 hours a day for around 2 years... and ull be the next yngwie... well not really... but ull play really good....

PS: USE A METRANOME
AHHHH 2 years holy crap .. well i will not give up! i have 1 question though.. why are my hammer ons so much lower than my regular notes does my guitar suck or am i doing it wrong.. im hammering* them pretty hard (no homo-.-)
My top 3 Influences

-Buckethead
-Jimi Hendrix
-Steve Vai
Your hammer-ons will get louder as your fingers get stronger. That just comes with time really.
Quote by Electric Tears
AHHHH 2 years holy crap .. well i will not give up! i have 1 question though.. why are my hammer ons so much lower than my regular notes does my guitar suck or am i doing it wrong.. im hammering* them pretty hard (no homo-.-)

You're probably not hammering it hard enough, practice stuff live 5h7p5h7p (like in the Mechanix) and other stuff like that.
Try practicing it without any gain first, it will be hard, but you'll gradually improve.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
When you practice here are some suggestions (things I do that work):

-Learn how to play slowly. If you can dish out some melodic slow stuff, you can work with those riffs and such into a faster piece.
-Never just practice one genre. I am mainly a metalhead, but in my practicing I like to fuse elements of jazz, rock n roll, country, death metal, power metal, and such altogether. I also play acoustic so there I learn how to create folk and ambient sound scapes as well, and frequently I will overlap "metal guitar" with acoustics. If you can play alot of genres of music, you can develop skill in your fingers (some genres require different guitar workage) as well as remove the mental handicapped that many people get who stick to one genre (in terms of creating riffs).
-Play with and without a metrenome. It is no fun to play with one, but vital to play properly. But, you also need to have some fun so don't always play with one.
-If you can't already, learn how to tap and tremelo pick. Alternate picking is also a suggested must in my book for playing neoclassical music. I am no expert at it and can't play all that well, but I am working on neoclassical riffs and such. Focus on one and get the movement down. Then the hand movements should become easier and you will mess up less (meaning: you will learn more). I would not give yourself a time period to learn. Your not going to play like a professional overnight, they worked for years and years and still practice. To add, complex sweep picking is not going to come overnight either.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
well when i first started i knew very little about what a guitar was, i was a noob in every respect, infact this worked to my advantage as i wanted to get playing as fast as i could as fast as i could, so what i did was i set up my action to be as high as i could make it (it was an strat copy, so the strings were like about 4-5mm off the board)

this little trick made my fingers strong, pretty fast, as i practised about 1-2 hours a day, so after about a year or so after i first picked up my guitar i was playing stuff by metallica (not well), and i could also do some blues improves (again not well, but messily fast)

so yeh, you want to strengthen your fingers to play fast
thanks alot guys those last 2 comments helped alot!
My top 3 Influences

-Buckethead
-Jimi Hendrix
-Steve Vai
I've been playing 18 years and I'm still not fast
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It'll take quite some time, a lot of practice and patience. Don't expect to be good overnight.

As far as I understand, speed comes as a result of accuracy, so you need to play slow in the beginning, accurately, and then slowly progress to faster speeds.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
As long at it takes.
Everybody progresses at different paces.

Ive been at it just over a year and I still dont even consider myself a competent beginner even though I can play a few things.

Its going to take awhile. Your confession of your weak hammer ons shows that you are still at a basic level. Speed should be the last of your concerns at this point.

What good is speed if its sloppy? What good is speed if your timing is poor? Speed is the byproduct of being able to do all the basic stuff REALLY well to the point where it is second nature.
I'll go my whole life without learning to play "fast".
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Yeah, 20 years for me, but playing fast is much easier than playing good.
Quote by Vinura
well when i first started i knew very little about what a guitar was, i was a noob in every respect, infact this worked to my advantage as i wanted to get playing as fast as i could as fast as i could, so what i did was i set up my action to be as high as i could make it (it was an strat copy, so the strings were like about 4-5mm off the board)

this little trick made my fingers strong, pretty fast, as i practised about 1-2 hours a day, so after about a year or so after i first picked up my guitar i was playing stuff by metallica (not well), and i could also do some blues improves (again not well, but messily fast)

so yeh, you want to strengthen your fingers to play fast

This is the stupidest advice i've ever heard. Please don't listen to this. At a time when you will be ingraining bad habits into your playing you want to play cleanly, slowly, and properly on a properly set up guitar.
first off, you stole my avatar........

second off, to get a consistent alternate picking rhythm, it took me about a week of solid practice. to build it up to speed, about 4 months, and to get it faster, i had to change a few things about my picking technique so about another 6 months. so almost a year.

but, the most important thing to learn here and now is, SPEED IS A BYPRODUCT OF ACCURACY! AND THE BEST ALTERNATE PICKING IS CLEAN ALTERNATE PICKING!
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
first off, you stole my avatar........

Um... first off, it was never YOURS. It's Buckethead's.