Knowledge on making it as a session guitarist?

As part of my BTEC Music course i need to create a career plan and mine is to become a session guitarist.

What i want to know is what education is required to make it as a session musician?
You need to be able to play lots of different styles of music, you need to understand theory, and read sheet music. Also, if you're at grade 8 you're far more likely to be hired to play as a session musician, so work on skills too
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Get your chops up really, really well and get yourself known, and set up some ads.
Quote by whatamidoinhere
You need to be able to play lots of different styles of music, you need to understand theory, and read sheet music. Also, if you're at grade 8 you're far more likely to be hired to play as a session musician, so work on skills too

Yeah i know that but in my career plan i need 2 different slides... One being the required skills which would be what you have said and one being required education. Thats why i am stuck
Quote by guitarhero123
Yeah i know that but in my career plan i need 2 different slides... One being the required skills which would be what you have said and one being required education. Thats why i am stuck

Well, surely the skills would be the ability to play in a lot of different styles, and the ability to play well, whereas education would be knowledge of theory etc.
If you get yourself to grade 8 on an instrument you could go get a uni degree in music really easily (as in, be accepted onto most courses)
So that could go on education as well

I would put music theory as required education... other than playing well, which would go under skills, and sight reading, which goes with the territory of music theory, there isn't much else you need.

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Low_End_Rocker
I would put music theory as required education... other than playing well, which would go under skills, and sight reading, which goes with the territory of music theory, there isn't much else you need.

What about aural skills?
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Quote by crimson moon
What about aural skills?

How I missed that, I have no idea. This, sight reading, and a good knowledge of music theory is esential to becoming a session guitarist. As for more education, a university degree on your instrument would not hurt you, that's for sure.

I'm curious, is this your actual career plan, or simply a music assignment?

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The music business is very much a "who-you-know" business in every sense. Becoming a session musician is no different, especially if you want to attach yourself to a studio.

If you end up going to a college or university to study music, then that can help get your foot on the ladder, because the odds are someone there will know someone, and at an actual music college or university, it's pretty much their job to help prepare you for a career.