Alright, here is the deal: Over the past three weeks or so, I have had little to no motivation to play my instrument, the little times I have picked up my instrument I find that I get frustrated and aggravated when I'm not playing what I want to or not as good as I am used to. I've been playing for three years or so and this problem hasn't popped up in the past. I Don't want to neglect my music because I love it (yes very piss weak) and I have no real idea about: A)What caused this sudden loss in motivation and most importantly B) How I get BACK the motivation to play.
Got no clue so I'm calling on the collective Knowledge of the many fine musicians of Ultimate Guitar Forums.
-Jay.
'Sup my fellow young parson's. I too am so on the go that i drink my yogurt from a tube.
Maybe you should just give it a little time off. I find that not playing for a week or so once every year is extremely productive. But that's just me.
Try getting into a new genre. When i first started playing i played normal and soft rock. And then i got introduced to the Metal genre, and my playing blossomed fast.
I still play normal rock, but the metal phase really helped me by improving my playing, and introduced me to new techniques that i found really fun practising
Quote by Ikonoklast
If you've got no motivation to play and don't enjoy it when you do then stop playing.

Wait, wait, wait. Either your telling me to stop playing until i feel better OR stop playing all together?
'Sup my fellow young parson's. I too am so on the go that i drink my yogurt from a tube.
Quote by Ikonoklast
If you've got no motivation to play and don't enjoy it when you do then stop playing.

Boo. you're such a dumbass.

every guitarist has a loss of motivation to play sometimes. don't give up. like the guys above me said, take a little time off or get into a new genre. or if you're aren't already in a band, join or form one, it's really alot more productive and fun playing with others
Quote by Ikonoklast

This is BS

I love my family, but in the past I still had arguments with them.

Does this mean I should abandon them?

If you one day dont' wanna hang out with ur friends, does that mean you should abandon them?

Playing guitar isn't a romantic rock start story, everyone loses his motivation sometimes, even if you love it/them so much.

TO TS;

Check out new genre's, go back to ur roots to why u picked up ur guitar. Jam with other (more experienced) people.

If this doesn't work, let it rest for a while, and pick it up again later on.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 29, 2009,
what i usually do is i make a playlist, of maybe my top 20 most favouritest songs at the moment, and put them on shuffle, and play them really really loud, i mean ****ing loud, so loud, that ur parents will blow ur head off with an ak and a sawn off both at the same time if they were living with u. I do that music playing thing when my parents go out, or if theyre at home, i use headphones, which still work. I never get unmotivated on school days because i take the train (30 mins to get there, 5 -6 songs listened off my ipod), that gives me a constant flow of motivation, its really the school holidays which do sprout the lack of motivation for me.

Note that when u r listening to these songs, DONT SING ALONG WITH IT, personal experiences prove that the song doesnt sink in as much, imo, and dont do anything that will make u lose concentraion of the song, like watch tv, or play computer games. What i usually do while listening to music is read random forums stuff, but thats just my opinion

The main point really is to play ur favourite songs randomly, so that u will be like OMG THATS MY FAV SONG when it comes up, and u get weird fantasies, some weireded than others. and when it gets to the next song, ull b like, OMG MY FAV SONG, and this process kinda repeats iself over and over again.

So if ur the gamer type, or the tv type or waht ever, u can try listening while doing that, but if it dosnt work, u may need more concentration on more volume. it ALWAYS works for me, on school days i could easily rip 5 hours a day, and if i shred alot, the end of the day the whole room smellslike sweaty guitar strings, on school holidays i need to push myself alot more, but i still manage, though not more than school days, butt sometimes more, it just depends alot on random stuff.

Note that during this school holidays i lost alot of motivation from playing because i had a plan to do at least 5 hours of guitar theory and technical per day, i did that ok for the first 1 week of the holidays (i was going thru berklee modern guitar yey), then my parents ruined it because of all the family events, and stuff, and that really put me off, we wet somewhere every 2 days or smthing, which really anoyed me, but....

Holi shiet this is one big post, ill stop here lol...

Main point, listen loud, and its harder to get motivation when having too much free time, tho harder =/= impossible
Quote by xxdarrenxx
This is BS

I love my family, but in the past I still had arguments with them.

Does this mean I should abandon them?

If you one day dont' wanna hang out with ur friends, does that mean you should abandon them?

Playing guitar isn't a romantic rock start story, everyone loses his motivation sometimes, even if you love it/them so much.

TO TS;

Check out new genre's, go back to ur roots to why u picked up ur guitar. Jam with other (more experienced) people.

If this doesn't work, let it rest for a while, and pick it up again later on.

Your point is equally as stupid because you can't choose family. Friends you can choose whether to hang out with them. If there was a certain friend that you couldn't be bothered to hang out with, and got angry at him every time you did, why would you bother hanging out with him? Lack of motivation to play is one thing, but guitar is supposed to be fun. If you force yourself to pick it up and then when you do it annoys you why bother playing at all? That doesn't seem like fun to me.

EDIT To TS: Leave it alone for a while, if you keep going back and still keep getting annoyed, take heed of my original advice.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
Your point is equally as stupid because you can't choose family. Friends you can choose whether to hang out with them. If there was a certain friend that you couldn't be bothered to hang out with, and got angry at him every time you did, why would you bother hanging out with him? Lack of motivation to play is one thing, but guitar is supposed to be fun. If you force yourself to pick it up and then when you do it annoys you why bother playing at all? That doesn't seem like fun to me.

EDIT To TS: Leave it alone for a while, if you keep going back and still keep getting annoyed, heed my original advice.

But he played for 3 years already. Saying just quit is a very weak solution as a first solution.

Yes if all fails then he shouldn't play.

I guess i'm more of an optimist and ur more of a pessimist.

I dont' really wanna argue this though

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by J_Bass1394
Wait, wait, wait. Either your telling me to stop playing until i feel better OR stop playing all together?

Damn my not being clear again. I meant that one.

But he played for 3 years already. Saying just quit is a very weak solution as a first solution.

Yes if all fails then he shouldn't play.

I guess i'm more of an optimist and ur more of a pessimist.

I dont' really wanna argue this though

Yeah sorry i'm just not very clear most of the time, i meant if he keeps on going back and hating it then he should stop doing it.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Jan 29, 2009,
1. Try a new genre. It's a funny thing that what you enjoy listening to is not necessarily what you enjoy playing. Maybe you like listening to metal, but when you give some funk or motown a try you'll enjoy it a lot more. Experiment a little, and don't get bogged down by what you think is "cool".

2. Try a new instrument. It's nice to have a rest from anything every once in a while. If you've got two instruments to switch between you can get this without having your general musicianship suffer. Perhaps combine this with (1.) so you play a completely different genre on each instrument. It helps to seperate the two (if you're sick of playing rock on guitar you might be equally sick of playing rock on bass), and helps expand your boundaries.

3. Try some easy stuff. If you're always learning progressively difficult stuff, you'll never feel like you're progressing; you'll suck at everything you try to play. Go back a few steps and learn something you know you won't have any problems with, and learn lots of stuff like this. There's nothing better for your confidence than having a massive repetoire.
Quote by J_Bass1394
A)What caused this sudden loss in motivation and most importantly

I think the "Help Me. I'm Stuck. No Motivation. No Inspiration ...." type of topic
should be stickied, it comes up so much. Anyway...

Almost ALWAYS these posts are from someone with 2-4 years playing, which should
be telling.

IMO, it's the "Guitar Mid-Life Crisis", or the "Honeymoon is over" period.

The main thing is, this is how people are wired: No matter how enjoyable or exciting
anything may be initially; no matter how much in love with it you are first; if you
cannot find ways to keep it growing and progressing, it will get stale. You'll get
bored with it and lose interest.

So the main thing to keep something fresh and staying "in love" is to progress. Which on the guitar means getting better and better all the time.

Your practicing skills have not kept pace with your guitar skills. If they had, you'd
likely not have been making this post. At some point, you have to start giving some
serious thought to your practicing, otherwise you don't go much further, or at least
very fast. When you have firm control of your own destiny, via good practice skills,
you'll always find the guitar enjoyable.
Well, maybe what i said thought that its waht you like playing goes without saying, maybe its just me, because i usually try not to put off genres, i try and listen to as many as i can,
Well, maybe what i said thought that its waht you like playing goes without saying, maybe its just me, because i usually try not to put off genres, i try and listen to as many as i can,
Thanks alot guys, this is all great stuff to think about and of course put to action. But if you have any more advice keep it coming because I'm all ears.
+1 to everything edg said.

there have been times when i haven't been as interested in playing but usually just not playing for a day or 2 fixes that completely.
I'd only add, look for the solution where the problem is. Is your problem that you're
sick of the genre you're playing? Maybe, but probably not. You can learn some
things perhaps, but you like what you like. I've always found the "try other genre's"
a bit like like "buy a new pedal". It might buy you a minute or a month of interest,
but you'll be back where you are now.

I ended up finding the only permanent solution to maintaining high interest and
inspiration on the guitar is learning how to practice to get the results I want. Being
in control of your playing is where I found lasting value.
just dance
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................