Poll: Move out?
Poll Options
View poll results: Move out?
Yeeuh
33 69%
Naw
14 29%
Voters: 48.
Before anything else is said, I need to make it clear that I have one goal in life. One focus of any plan I may consider for any possible future. That is music. I play guitar, drums, bass, I sing, I produce, but more importantly than anything I write. I think my material has what it takes to stand out and get noticed. So that is my one aim, and I've sacrificed and plan on sacrificing as much as it takes.

That having been said, I've been debating lately whether to move out or not. I'm 21, live with my parents, and I work part time at Panera Bread. I'm almost done paying off my own car, and I'm paying the insurance for it. I also buy most of my own food.

A few of my friends, one of them my best friend, have moved to other cities in the state (Florida). Specifically, more active cities, in contrast to our small hometown where basicly no one cares to do anything but get drunk, do drugs, accidentally knock up chicks and exacerbate the drama.

So you may be thinking, MOVE OUT YOU EFFING IDIOT HOW STUPID ARE YOU!!! But being a solo artist, and having never really showcased my abilities and what my writing is like, my next goal for myself is to track a single. If I can get more hours at work, I would like even more to track enough songs for a small album, about 7 to 8. I have the necessary means to do this right here in town, and I'd probably be hard pressed to come across another set of conditions as favorable. I have a friend who is a good engineer, and is working in a national level studio that's about 10 minutes away. He's charging me $200 a song which is a very good deal for that level of quality.

SO, basicly, it's either stay here at home, take advantage of the opportunities here, or move out with my best friend to a town with a more active music scene/base of musicians, where I can stand on my own two feet and learn important things about myself and my future. Other opportunities will come up, maybe better than what I have here, maybe not so much, but certainly new and different.

TL;DR Should I keep living with my parents, where I have some good opportunities to record my music NOW, or should I move out and support myself like people of my age should and look for new opportunities?
We're only strays.
Living at home is exceptable for that reason.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
believe me, no matter how awesome your music is, your chances of being able to support yourself through it are pretty slim.

don't quit your day job, do music on the side, and get the hell out of your parent's house.
if you're that serious about music, move to LA and find a decent paying job there while continuing to make music on the side.
get a following, if you don't get fans then no one will buy your music.
you can only do that in a city with an active music scene, but IMO you should go to uni or something first, so that you can support yourself in case music fails. it may not be a big deal now, but the older you get, the more you're gonna need that financial security.
I'm not saying don't follow your dreams, but don't be an idiot and think that you have what it takes and that you're GOING to make it.
that's not how the music industry, or any entertainment industry for that matter, works.
Oh come on. Move out. You need it.
"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people.. Otherwise, there would be no religious people."
What kind of music do you make?
------------------
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Record and then move out

Quoted for emphasis. If you record the songs, you can probably get someone in the industry interested. Get a name for yourself and you'll have better opportunities when you move somewhere else.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Get your friend to give you a better discount or do it on a day where he normally wouldn't be working or something.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Quote by wtf290
Quoted for emphasis. If you record the songs, you can probably get someone in the industry interested. Get a name for yourself and you'll have better opportunities when you move somewhere else.

uh huh.

To answer some suggestions/questions so far: I'm willing to sacrifice anything. Stable financial future, social life, whatever. I have nothing to lose because so far I have nothing in music except a bunch of songs that need recording. I don't have any illusions about the industry, and I guess I should have clarified that by "getting noticed" I mean putting in the blood, sweat and tears it takes to get to a place to be noticed.

The music I do doesn't fit well into one genre, but I guess alternative metal is pretty close. It's heavy, it has clean singing mostly but also some screaming/dirty singing (think Rise Against and In Flames).
We're only strays.
Move out to a more active scene, gig abit, get more experience in life. Earn some more dosh, you can always come back to your hometown to record in another year or two right? A friend is for life, not just for a year to be used for recording.
pay off your car before you move out dude, livin' ain't cheap. and unless you're making emo you don't need tears to make music, especially if you're calling it metal
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
To answer some suggestions/questions so far: I'm willing to sacrifice anything. Stable financial future, social life, whatever. I have nothing to lose because so far I have nothing in music except a bunch of songs that need recording. I don't have any illusions about the industry, and I guess I should have clarified that by "getting noticed" I mean putting in the blood, sweat and tears it takes to get to a place to be noticed.

The music I do doesn't fit well into one genre, but I guess alternative metal is pretty close. It's heavy, it has clean singing mostly but also some screaming/dirty singing (think Rise Against and In Flames).

forget it. that doesn't gurantee you success in the music industry, because that's not what the industry is about. if no one likes your music, you're not gonna make money, and no amount of blood sweat and tears is gonna change what people think of you. stable financial future isn't something you need to give up to make music, man. and you shouldn't, because I can guarantee you that people who eventually made were either
a. losers with no other prospects in life
b. people with normal day jobs.

look at brian may, he's a freaking genius with a doctor's degree in biology! Jimmy Page was a studio guitarist, Adam Jones was making movies with Steven Spielberg.
you shouldn't give up everything because you want to make it, because in the end, you're most likely not going to. I quote "it seems the people who try hardest to have success in the music industry are the ones who end up having the least".
ànd as for social life, if you don't live life, how in the world are you gonna be able to sing about anything?
dude, get a job, an education and make music on the side.
and move out of your mom's house.
what have you been doing since graduation, anyway?

EDIT: also, do you play in a band or do you do everything by yourself? have you ever sent anything to record companies?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by Stingray5
pay off your car before you move out dude, livin' ain't cheap. and unless you're making emo you don't need tears to make music, especially if you're calling it metal

LOL nice.

It's not real metal, but it's definitely more than rock. It's very lead oriented. And yeah I plan on getting the card paid off in March.
We're only strays.
Quote by CoreysMonster
forget it. that doesn't gurantee you success in the music industry, because that's not what the industry is about. if no one likes your music, you're not gonna make money, and no amount of blood sweat and tears is gonna change what people think of you. stable financial future isn't something you need to give up to make music, man. and you shouldn't, because I can guarantee you that people who eventually made were either
a. losers with no other prospects in life
b. people with normal day jobs.

look at brian may, he's a freaking genius with a doctor's degree in biology! Jimmy Page was a studio guitarist, Adam Jones was making movies with Steven Spielberg.
you shouldn't give up everything because you want to make it, because in the end, you're most likely not going to. I quote "it seems the people who try hardest to have success in the music industry are the ones who end up having the least".
ànd as for social life, if you don't live life, how in the world are you gonna be able to sing about anything?
dude, get a job, an education and make music on the side.
and move out of your mom's house.
what have you been doing since graduation, anyway?

If I had doubts about people liking my music, I wouldn't be half as devoted as I am. I have a lot of faith in it. It's certainly a fresh take on this kind of music. That's why I'm so anxious to get it recorded and into people's ears.

And I've been doing music since graduating, and before that as well. I've been playing in bands. Throughout all that though I was developing my abilities and experience. If I put as much time into achieving a professional level of ability on drums and guitar into getting a college degree, I'd be a Ph.D by now.

And also, I don't look at other people's successes. I know what I have, what it means to me, and I know the odds. The question now is what will get me a step further in the direction I want to go? Moving out to a better area or recording my music in a less active area?

EDIT: And to save any useless discussion, I don't care how hard it is to "make it" in the industry. I've heard that plenty of times, from all kinds of people. It's a lost cause on me.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
If I had doubts about people liking my music, I wouldn't be half as devoted as I am. I have a lot of faith in it. It's certainly a fresh take on this kind of music. That's why I'm so anxious to get it recorded and into people's ears.

And I've been doing music since graduating, and before that as well. I've been playing in bands. Throughout all that though I was developing my abilities and experience. If I put as much time into achieving a professional level of ability on drums and guitar into getting a college degree, I'd be a Ph.D by now.

And also, I don't look at other people's successes. I know what I have, what it means to me, and I know the odds. The question now is what will get me a step further in the direction I want to go? Moving out to a better area or recording my music in a less active area?

well good luck, if it works out for you, then good on you, you probably deserve it.

BUT I'm betting on you moving out and getting a cold dose of the reality called life. But, I'll stop being a know-it-all now.

if you're really that serious about music, I'd move to LA. Chances of getting noticed are as best as they can get in LA, staying in Florida isn't gonna do you any good.

EDIT: and if you're aware of the odds and risks, do you have a plan B?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by wiggyisgreat
You're 21 and haven't moved out? I would suggest moving out, you'll record eventually.

Seen Step Brothers?
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Move out I say. A city will have a lot betetr music scene, then you will have the chance to set-up a band. But let them know you are the bandleader, and alot of what they will be playing is your material.

I plan on moving to a city within the next 2 years to try and find like-minded, serious musicians to play with.

Also, with some reasearch, abit o playing about and maybe around £500, you could get some sort of MIDI program, a preamp, mixing dock and record from the comfort of your own house. I can find all the technology abit intimidating, but if you are that determind, it isn't actually that hard. Thousands and thousands of people around our age are doing it.
Move out, but make sure things go alright, because then you'll have to suffer the indignity of moving in with your parents in mid 20s.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by EJD
1. Move out
2. Busk

Simple as that.

You've never paid bills, have you?

And also to CoreysMonster, that quote? I think I know why it's like that. The people that actually have the motivational and organizational abilities to draw from, and have that mentality of success in the industry as money, radio play, and MTV, are missing the point. What kind of an artist has it all together? It's about the music. Like you said, if no one likes your music, what can you do? The kind of people that "try the hardest" are the one's that view their music as a product. I know the type.

EDIT: I have no plan B. Doing anything other than music for the rest of my life is a far worse fate than being a "failure."
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
You've never paid bills, have you?

And also to CoreysMonster, that quote? I think I know why it's like that. The people that actually have the motivational and organizational abilities to draw from, and have that mentality of success in the industry as money, radio play, and MTV, are missing the point. What kind of an artist has it all together? It's about the music. Like you said, if no one likes your music, what can you do? The kind of people that "try the hardest" are the one's that view their music as a product. I know the type.

well, what I meant was more the people who try the hardest kinda forget that music is about fun and passion, and not about desperately trying to sell. that's why I mentioned Brian May and the others, because they didn't NEED to make music to make money, they WANTED to and were able to play from their hearts because they didn't need to worry about selling their next album, that they could always feed themselves if they didn't sell.
also, I myself moved out after graduation to pursue my dream of becoming an animator, moved to the biggest city in germany and sold all of my guitar equipment to pay the first months rent while I worked as an unpaid intern in an animation company, and after six months and a ****LOAD of problems, and an alcohol problem that I luckily got under control I am now getting paid for my work.
BUT I had a B-Plan, that if animation didn't work out I could always study programming or something else. my advice is just be versatile and don't limit yourself to one thing, or else your gonna end up at a dead end with no other options, and since music is pretty much the toughest business out there with a buttload of competetion, it would be foolish to rely only on music, because that would mean that you HAVE to worry about selling your stuff, etc, which brings me back to the original point of my post.
Quote by CoreysMonster
well, what I meant was more the people who try the hardest kinda forget that music is about fun and passion, and not about desperately trying to sell. that's why I mentioned Brian May and the others, because they didn't NEED to make music to make money, they WANTED to and were able to play from their hearts because they didn't need to worry about selling their next album, that they could always feed themselves if they didn't sell.
also, I myself moved out after graduation to pursue my dream of becoming an animator, moved to the biggest city in germany and sold all of my guitar equipment to pay the first months rent while I worked as an unpaid intern in an animation company, and after six months and a ****LOAD of problems, and an alcohol problem that I luckily got under control I am now getting paid for my work.
BUT I had a B-Plan, that if animation didn't work out I could always study programming or something else. my advice is just be versatile and don't limit yourself to one thing, or else your gonna end up at a dead end with no other options, and since music is pretty much the toughest business out there with a buttload of competetion, it would be foolish to rely only on music, because that would mean that you HAVE to worry about selling your stuff, etc, which brings me back to the original point of my post.

Yes I totally agree. And thank you for all your input so far, it gives me a lot of stuff to think about. Don't think I've just been rebutting all your statements and not taking them in.
We're only strays.
Do whatever you want. People will always come with arguments telling you to take the safe way out(staying with your parents and whatever) or make something drastic like moving to another city with no job or anything.

I tell you my opinion. Go for it, try to make it as a musician. If it doesn't work out you can always move back home.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Yes I totally agree. And thank you for all your input so far, it gives me a lot of stuff to think about. Don't think I've just been rebutting all your statements and not taking them in.

no worries, if you would have I wouldn't be taking the trouble of writing such long-ass posts. I'm just interested in your plans because I had to take alot of crap from people when I told them I wanted to be an animator, even though I was top of my class.

"be a doctor, or a lawyer, animation is not going to earn you money!"

I think that you at least have to try, I mean you only live once, might as well go for it.

Just don't be stupid about it.
I think it may be something you shall I regret for the rest of you're life if you were to let the oppurtunity go. Beating yourself up about the "what if?".

However, don't get you're hopes up loads about everythign sailing clear, as you don't want to get really pumped up, move to a city and it be a big anti-climax.
But good luck whatever happens.
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
200 bucks per song, some friend.. move out, get new friends, record for free.

The tracks he engineers are national quality. The studio is top notch, with full mastering equipment. Also, it's not his studio it belongs to someone else in the industry who he's close with. So he doesn't get all of the $200. Normally people pay around $500-600 for a song, at least.

And I've gotten a lot of profile plays from this thread. Let me just say that the song on there right now is from a few years ago. The quality is crap (it was done by the same friend but in a garage) and so is the singing and the playing, IMO. I'm not satisfied with it. So don't think that's the best I can do lol.
We're only strays.