Yeah so, here's the deal:
I am about to get a new guitar, probably in a month or 2 (whenever I get money), and I've come to a slight problem. I really like the Ibanez ICT700 (Iceman) because of it's tone, shape and absolute beauty, but it has a fixed bridge. I feel that a fixed bridge would really take away my creativity and it would make my playing a lot more dull, so I prefer having a proper tremolo. Now, there is one Iceman which comes with a tremolo (and some extra good looks too!), the STM1 (Sam Totman Sig), but I've never tried it myself. The ICT I can try in a local store, but the STM I can only get online, so I have no idea what it's like compared to the ICT, soundwise.

The differences:
STM has trem, ICT has fixed bridge.
STM mics: 2 DiMarzio Evo's, ICT: 2 DiMarzio D Activators.
STM only has 1 3 way switch for mics, and one volume knob, ICT has a tone knob also.
The ICTs headstock is reversed, which doesn't make much difference to me.
Also, I can get the ICT cheaper of course.

Which one do you think I should go for? Or alternatively, I can go to the store and get a RG Prestige or S Prestige (with tremolo of course).

Opinions and personal experiences please!
They aren't mics, they are pickups.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The Sam Totman signature model has an Edge III bridge which is considered bad by floyd rose standards. I don't know how much the STM1 is, but I'll bet ya you're paying extra just for the name versus the regular Iceman.

May I ask what type of music you play that requires a tremolo to not be dull? I have my guitar's bridge set up as fixed and never use the tremolo, and my playing is most definitely not dull, so I'm not sure what gave you that idea.

As to whether you should a different Ibanez instead, well that's up to you. If you can tell us your budget and what type of tone and features in the guitar you're looking for, I'm sure some folks here can give you some recommendations. The most important thing is that you try out a few guitars before buying anything.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Jan 29, 2009,
If you want the trem, get the one with a trem. The pickups will make a slight difference with the EVOs sounding better imo, but you will really only notice this difference if you have a decent amp. I personally don't like the Iceman shape...so I'd say go for an RG. But if you like the Iceman...go fot it.
Quote by Chrisiphone
They aren't mics, they are pickups.

not everyone has english as their first language.

May I ask what type of music you play that requires a tremolo to not be dull? I have my guitar's bridge set up as fixed and never use the tremolo, and my playing is most definitely not dull, so I'm not sure what gave you that idea.

subjective opinion. leave him be.

TS, I'd leave the STM unless you're going to replace the tremolo, but I don't think it's worth it. And putting a trem on the ICT isn't cost effective either.

I'd go for the prestige RG/S option. see if you can find a mahogany RG. there's only a few models that are mahogany bodied. the only new models are the rgt320 and the RG3620 (probably out of your price range) but see if you can find some of the older mahogany models.

but realistically the options are no tremolo or poor quality tremolo. if you can live with the edge III dying on you after not too much use, go with the STM. you can always replace the trem later.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Jan 29, 2009,
My budget is around 1000ish €
I can get a ICT for 600-700ish and the STM for 855 + whatever the postal costs are.
But hmm, if the Edge III really is as bad as I keep hearing, maybe it's not worth paying extra for a poor trem....
I think I'll start looking at the Prestiges and see what I like the best, I can go to a store and test multiple ones anyway, so I'll know exactly what I'm buying, unlike the STM...