Hello,

I have been looking at some wiring diagrams for EMG pick-ups.
So i am now thinking about changing the pick-ups in my Epiphone LP.
But i am a newbie when it comes to soldering and wire diagrams, so i have a few questions before i even start considering changing the pick-ups myself (The local shop charges 110 dollars for changing them )

- Does EMG Pick-ups come with new pots, or is it standard to use the ones you already have one guitar?

- What is the description of a "hot" wire?

- When a wire goes to ground is ground then the back of a pot, or should I solder it to another part?

- Does each of the 3 solder point on a pot have a specific connection or are they all 3 connected?

- Do you just connect the bare wire directly to the ground in the guitar?

- and last question; do you need to be an electromechanic to be able to do this?

Hope you understood my questions

Thanks
Quote by pedes89
Hello,

hi

Quote by pedes89
I have been looking at some wiring diagrams for EMG pick-ups.
So i am now thinking about changing the pick-ups in my Epiphone LP.
But i am a newbie when it comes to soldering and wire diagrams, so i have a few questions before i even start considering changing the pick-ups myself (The local shop charges 110 dollars for changing them )

Quote by pedes89
- Does EMG Pick-ups come with new pots, or is it standard to use the ones you already have one guitar?

you'll need new pots. your guitar probably has 500k pots, but you'll need 25k pots

Quote by pedes89
- What is the description of a "hot" wire?

if ground is a reference point of 0 volts. when you play, your pickups put out a small voltage signal. the hot wire is like the positive side of a battery, where ground is like the negative side. for the sake of example, the hot wire is the one the signal goes through.

Quote by pedes89
- When a wire goes to ground is ground then the back of a pot, or should I solder it to another part?

the backs of the pots should be grounded, yes. but all the ground points should still be connected to the sleeve of the jack

Quote by pedes89
- Does each of the 3 solder point on a pot have a specific connection or are they all 3 connected?

not sure what you mean here...
you need to solder each lug of the pot to what it shows in the diagram, if you switch two of the wires, it wont work in the normal way

Quote by pedes89
- Do you just connect the bare wire directly to the ground in the guitar?

you just send it striaght to ground, yes.
whether you solder it to the back of a pot, or right to the jack is up to you. as long as all the ground points get grounded.

Quote by pedes89
- and last question; do you need to be an electromechanic to be able to do this?

of course not!

Quote by pedes89
Hope you understood my questions

Thanks

no problem

hope my answers helped
Dont solder the bridge wire to anything
EMG's are internally shielded and dont require strings to be grounded
Two options, as I see it, and I'm assuming the EMG's are active.
1 take it in to a decent TV repair man (Yes these guys are becoming scarce but 110 for the shop job is crazy)
2 Use the diagrams and follow the instructions. I suspect EMG provide same with their pups. From memory EMG's have send, return, earth (bare), batt+ and batt- which is a bit simpler than DiMarzios and other 5 wire pups

Ooops I see James4 has already given you excellent advice. Trust me. Late again.
Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 29, 2009,
*James
Thanks for the VERY user-friendly answers, gave a lot of sense specially with all of the ground wires connected to the jack sleeve.

*Dr. House + Lurcher
Thanks to you also

Great, will visit the guitar shop tomorrow then, so i can buy my new EMG's