I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for les pauls for an intermediate player that likes rock and doesnt want to spend more than $800 and what kind of pickups I should replace the stock ones with (heard they were crappy) Maybe a bluesy tone but I already have a fender hss strat so I dont really need the bluesy tone but it would be a bonus. Are Seymour Duncans more for metal or for rock?
Last edited by Rockgod37 at Jan 29, 2009,
the title of the thread says it all, lol
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Ibanez art/arc whatever series, ESP eclipse,they are like pauls. But I would just go for the epi.
LifeSucks
PeopleDie
F*ckTheWorld
LetsGetHigh
they are sweet guitars! I have 2 of them love the tone of each of them... get one, u wont be disappointed
get a esp/ltd ec series much better quality guitar then the epiphones and they have good pickups already in them and if im not mistaken the EC-401VF is about 650 and im pretty sure youll be much more happy with that guitar then a epi i have the epi and its pretty crap
Quote by Grog_ZE_Impaler
get a esp/ltd ec series much better quality guitar then the epiphones and they have good pickups already in them and if im not mistaken the EC-401VF is about 650 and im pretty sure youll be much more happy with that guitar then a epi i have the epi and its pretty crap

You clearly have no IDEA what high end epi is. Proud owner of a LP Custom Prophecies, EMG 81/85 pickups. Calling that bad pickups? 600 bucks.
I've played the prophecies but there hit or miss on the setup and fretwork i've played ok one and i've played bad ones and he said for rock not metal emg 81/85 are more suited for metal where as the Seymour duncans in the ltd are beter for rock i have the 81/85 and they clearly are missing something when i come to rock tones but there amazing for metal tones i play a epiphone les paul through a mesa triple rectifier half stack and i still would say that the ltd are better then the prophecies
Quote by LordPino
You clearly have no IDEA what high end epi is. Proud owner of a LP Custom Prophecies, EMG 81/85 pickups. Calling that bad pickups? 600 bucks.

+1
epiphone les paul standard plain top.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
You can get one of these, they have excellent pickups already installed:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ARC500-Electric-Guitar?sku=512347
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400VF?sku=512884

Both will do rock and blues. I personally prefer the Ibanez, it's bridge pup has a lower output than the ltd's, which gives a more old-school tone. It looks hella classy as well.

If you don't mind swapping pups though, either go for this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ART300-Electric-Guitar?sku=518065
or get an Epi LP Standard. Customs aren't any better than Standards, so don't waste your money on one. Also, don't buy an Epi online, their quality varies a lot and you absolutely need to check out the specific guitar you are going to buy. This is not the case with Ibanez or Ltd though.

What I'd do: I'd just get the ARC500, it seems like the best guitar out of the three I talked about, because it is made to a very high standard. The few ones I have tried were flawless.
Quote by Grog_ZE_Impaler
I've played the prophecies but there hit or miss on the setup and fretwork i've played ok one and i've played bad ones and he said for rock not metal emg 81/85 are more suited for metal where as the Seymour duncans in the ltd are beter for rock i have the 81/85 and they clearly are missing something when i come to rock tones but there amazing for metal tones i play a epiphone les paul through a mesa triple rectifier half stack and i still would say that the ltd are better then the prophecies

Try and use some punctuation so I can understand. Seriously.
Last edited by voteforpedro36 at Jan 29, 2009,
I own a special edition les paul with zebra humbuckers and with the distortion i can can make it sound like kirk hammit
Quote by Falken666
I own a special edition les paul with zebra humbuckers and with the distortion i can can make it sound like kirk hammit

doesnt kirk and james both play emgs?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
^^ Yeah they both do. Dosen't matter if he can make it sound like hammet, the TC wants a rock sound not metal. What amp you planning to run it into? You may be better of with a new amp.