Hi everybody!I'm sure somebody will be able to help with this.I just bought a Traynor YCV 80.I haven't been able to play it yet but I can in about 2 weeks when I leave Iraq for a break.I read on reviews too change out the stock tubes.Does anybody have any recomendations on what packages of tubes to get.I need it to be versitile since I play from classic rock to hard rock and thrash Metal like Metallica well older Metallica.So far from searching tubes and tube sites I found TAD 6L6GC-STR and Tung-Sol 12AX7.Those are what the tubestore.com recommends.Anybody know how those sound?I read how to change the tubes out but I'm not sure if I will have to take it into a shop to get it a bias done when changing the tubes.Any body know if the Traynor YCV 80 needs a bias when changing tubes.Hope someone can help me with my first tube amp.Thanks for reading.
congrats on your amp
How old is it?
I wouldn't worry about the tubes right away - make changes (if you need to) later.
Tube suggestion by tubestore.com seems valid. Maybe ping dougstubes.com and eurotubes.com to get their suggestions as well.
Tungsols are brighter preamp tubes.
Some suggest mixing brands of preamp tubes (no biasing there)
Not sure on power tube biasing of your Traynor.?
Can you download the manual?
Ping forsaknazrael as well, he knows Traynors pretty well and hangs out in the Which Amp and Everything about Tubes Stickies.

Good luck, rock on and thanks for serving our country.
Hey thanks for the reply and ideas man!I bought the amp brand new on e-bay.You can't beat getting it for $700 when Muscians friend wanted close to $1000 with shipping.i downloaded the manuel but wasn't much help.Thanks serving proudly!
Last edited by jim94535 at Jan 29, 2009,