If you've ever listened to the RHCP's live, or heard their live DVDs or bootlegs or whatever, you'll know Frusciante uses a nice crunchy clean tone when jamming between songs and also as his standard tone when not using a totally clean tone.

I've had a look in the sticky already, and upon testing the suggested settings on my Marshall Valvestate 100 (it has EQ for Clean & Overdrive, and an additional Overdrive with contour channel) and I can't get out of the muddy sorta crunch, wheras I'm after a cleaner brighter one; I know you get the muddier tones when playing too many strings with high gain, but it's stumping me. Am I missing some equipment?

I do have a Zoom G multi FX pedal if anyone can suggest anything I can use with that other than messing with my amp.

If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.
He uses a BOSS DS-2 (discontinued, but I have one ). I think that may be how he gets the crunchy/clean sound. There is a setting where the overdrive is on, you can turn the tone up, but the distortion almost all the way down, and you can get something similar I'd assume.

Although I don't have a big Marshall....
Fender FM212R

EDIT- Have you tried turning your high's all the way up to 10, then mids about 5-7, and lows about 2-4? I think that's around what he uses too on his amp EQ.
Last edited by guitarkid2113 at Jan 29, 2009,
Don't forget he uses vintage guitars (-'60s). Maybe that helps with his tone too 8-)
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
he uses silver marshall jubillee, bass on full, mids on 8 treble on about 2 or 3
he turns the treble down coc he mics the amp on axis, right in front of the speaker
and just look at his floorboard... its rediculous. in a good way!
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by smaniato
Don't forget he uses vintage guitars (-'60s). Maybe that helps with his tone too 8-)

He only plays Strats older than himself I believe.
Same with his White Falcon.

Some Fanboy/Girl can clear this up though.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by guitarkid2113
He uses a BOSS DS-2 (discontinued, but I have one ). I think that may be how he gets the crunchy/clean sound. There is a setting where the overdrive is on, you can turn the tone up, but the distortion almost all the way down, and you can get something similar I'd assume.

Although I don't have a big Marshall....
Fender FM212R

EDIT- Have you tried turning your high's all the way up to 10, then mids about 5-7, and lows about 2-4? I think that's around what he uses too on his amp EQ.

Cool, I'll have to try and find something similar to a DS-2 then. I think his Bass tones are higher than 2-4 though, because from playing some of his stuff, it sounds better, with mid tones lower. Though tbh that might just be with clean tones, so I'll try out what you said, thanks.
According to Frusciante his rig for Stadium Arcadium is as follows: 61 and 62 Fender strat into a Boss Chorus Ensemble and stereo output that splits out into a 200 watt Marshall Major and a Marshall Silver Jubilee. For distortion he used the Electro-Harmonix English Muffin' and Big Muff as well as a Boss DS-2 and occasionally a DS-1. That comes from the July '06 Guitar World. Hope that helps.
He just has his amps on really high volume (like 6+) so that he gets that tube crunch from his Marshalls. I'd suggest, though, that you buy a Digitech Bad Monkey (works great) and some (good) tube amp, then have the level on the BM max, and gain at min, then just play. You will get some great crunchy tone.

For that really distorted tone that everyone is talking about in this thread, he uses a big muff and a Boss DS-2. But do as I said and you'll have an alright tone for Frusciante cleans.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Jan 29, 2009,
I was jammin with my Big Muff the other day and stumbled upon a tone similar that of the Readymade solo, which is not completely unlike his live jam tone.
Dude, Strat on neck pick up with a bad monkey set at:
Level: Whatever is loud enough for you
Low: 3 o'clock
High: 3-4 o'clock
Gain: 10-11 o'clock
into a clean amp, preferable tube amp, i use a vox AC15.

That gets me perfect ""live at hyde park" universally speaking/ jam after by the way tone"
His clean tone comes from the combination of a British voiced amp right on the edge of breakup and his 1962 pickups.
Not taking any online orders.
a strat with some sort of boost/od pedal on the clean channel will nail the tone you are looking for, froosh's clean tone is one of my favorite tones of all time
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}