hey guys, im looking to get a new bass this weekend but had a quick question before i do. ive been lookin at the schecter stiletto custom-4http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom4-Bass?sku=513049 for a while now and really like the look and feel of the natural satin one. my question is about its tone. seein that it has emgs, and from what ive heard while playing it, it seems to have a good tone for rock and heavier stuff, which is great because that is what i play the majority of the time right now. but my question is how this bass would do with jazz and funk styles as i plan to begin dabbling in these areas fairly soon. any info about this would be great!
Quote by Swat Man
if you get an MG you support terrorism
Last edited by mclindon at Jan 31, 2009,
Unless you have a very tone specific requirement, I think it's fine. I own one, and I play everything from rock to blues to christian worship music. I think that tone is a lot more about how you play than the bass itself. Or maybe I'm just not very picky.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
Unless you have a very tone specific requirement, I think it's fine. I own one, and I play everything from rock to blues to christian worship music. I think that tone is a lot more about how you play than the bass itself. Or maybe I'm just not very picky.

+1

Tone comes from the fingers, the strings and the amp. The bass too of course, however humbuckers (they are buckers, right?) are pretty versatile.

My Spector can pull off pretty much all genres.

EDIT: Or they're soapbars, both are versatile.
signature
Last edited by Bullet-Rule at Jan 29, 2009,
schecter makes some awesome basses and stiletto's are pretty versatile i got a friend who's got one he uses it for everything
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by Bullet-Rule
+1

EDIT: Or they're soapbars, both are versatile.

EMG-HZ's, actually.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
EMG-HZ's, actually.

Aye, I know they're EMGs man, my Spector has them too.

But there can still be different pickup configurations. Like a few years ago, the Spector Legends can with a P and J set of EMGs, now they've changed to soapbars.
signature
ok sounds good, hopefully this will be the bass im getting, appreciate the feedback
Quote by Swat Man
I have one a schecter studio four with the same pickups. At first i found the sound harsh. then i learned to eq it. sound beautiful now. great warm sounds as well as brights. my cabs are two crate 4x10s and the highs are quite nice while the lows rumble for 4x10's anyway. i'm looking into 12's soon to help but the bass does fine with them itself. Might i suggest going the extra $50 or so for the studio model with a 3 band eq? i find it is quite versatile. the custom is a fine choice too though.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i have a spector and a schector stilleto. my spector has more of a thump to it than the schecter. i find that the schecter has a more midrangey and trebly tone than my spector. i think the spector has more a jazzy tone than the schecter
Quote by Revelation
I have one a schecter studio four with the same pickups. At first i found the sound harsh. then i learned to eq it. sound beautiful now. great warm sounds as well as brights. my cabs are two crate 4x10s and the highs are quite nice while the lows rumble for 4x10's anyway. i'm looking into 12's soon to help but the bass does fine with them itself. Might i suggest going the extra $50 or so for the studio model with a 3 band eq? i find it is quite versatile. the custom is a fine choice too though.

i saw the studio, but the difference in price is about $150, at least from guitar center. the thing is that this is a birthday present from my family, so im trying not to break their bank accounts with this haha. ill try out the studio this weekend when im back at home, but for the price i think the custom-4 is what im gonna go with
Quote by Swat Man
I haven't played extensively with them, but from what I have played with them, I've found them to be unapologetically modern sounding. I'm not sure I could get a proper old school sound out of them.
the studio was only $600 when i bought it. didn't realize the price went up.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I play the Stilleto Custom, and have used it for everything
I was actually thinking about this very thing yesterday, since i bought my second bass (50's P Bass, by Squire-just to mess with) and The custom really is versatile
I play pretty much every style on it, I love slapping on it, and resting my thumb on the large soap bar really makes this comfortable.
I own a Stiletto Studio and have thorough experience with many, MANY Schecters. I'd buy it, if I were you, Schecter's been upping the pricing. The sound on that model is outstanding for the price, and I may be buying one as a backup or second option to my Studio model.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I haven't played extensively with them, but from what I have played with them, I've found them to be unapologetically modern sounding. I'm not sure I could get a proper old school sound out of them.

I have found you can't hear any old sound, it makes my church songs sound weird. if I had the tools for soldering accessible, I might just figure it out and redo it.

but I sadly have no such tools available to me.

so broken it shall stay.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
thanks for all the feedback guys, really makes me excited to be going tomorrow to pick it up ill be sure to put my 2 cents in about this axe once im back down at school and able to really play it for a few days
Quote by Swat Man

one hell of a birthday for me haha, about to slap some roto 66's on there and have some fun with it

Quote by Swat Man