Must-

- Be loud enough for small-medium gigs (30W tube/100W SS?)
- Be reliable.
- Preferably be single channel, as I'd rather add the dirt through pedals.
- Take pedals very well, incl. dist. pedals.
- Generally bright tone.
- Good value in the UK.

Will be used for all sorts of prog, as well as some general rock/metal. No heavier than early Metallica.

Cheers.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Budget?
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
£450 max. Don't mind buying used.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Could you find an AC30 used for that? The AC15 is nice if you don't need alot of super clean headroom.
Some of the Fender models look good. Unless I can find a good used model, the Hot Rod Deluxe is out of my range. How about the Pro Junior or Blues Junior?

I've heard some negative reports about using the JC120 with dist. pedals.

I've decided that 2 channel amps might be alright after all, as long as it is footswitchable.

Any thoughts on the VC30 112, Sound City SC40C, and Peavey Classic 30? Remember it needs to take pedals well as it'll be used for post-rock stuff as well as general Coheed-style rock.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Fender is just all wrong for you, as is an AC30 - the Laney VC30 and the Sound Citys are definitely worth a look though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Volta_91

I've heard some negative reports about using the JC120 with dist. pedals.

That's not true in my experience. I use one at band rehearsal and it eats pedals for breakfast. It really takes everything it can get it's hands on and it can go bloody loud too. Cool amp.

VC30 is probably a tad bright, but worth looking at and so is the Soundcity and a Classic 30 (not that great value in Europe, but still not bad). Can't really think of anything else at the moment, but there's bound to be more.

EDIT: Marshall JCM900? Perhaps a JCM800, although it arguably hasn't got very good cleans.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Jan 30, 2009,
I've seen a Laney VC50 for sale for £350. Anyone got any info on this amp? I've been reading reviews, mostly positive although some say they are a bit harsh.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

I've got one, it's a nice amp. Very versatile.

It can get harsh, but if you spend a good bit of time EQing you can dial most of it out.

£350 seems a bit high, I got mine for £275 so you could try talking down the price a little. If you managed that it'd leave a bit of money for you to change the valves or speakers (which are generally considered to be the weak point of the amp).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Sound City 50 watt
£300 would be good. £350 is still a good price considering the closest equivalent nowadays costs £700 and is now a head, but it's always worth trying to haggle a bit.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The Egnater Rebel 20s may be in your neck of the woods. You may check into them.
I'd recommend waiting for it's release and getting one of the 30-watt Tiny Terrors(two channels, but I'm pretty sure both can be clean and dirty) and a good cab.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by MAYNARD
The Egnater Rebel 20s may be in your neck of the woods. You may check into them.

i second this. Egnaters are really great amps, and versatile too. there is a thread on all the Egnater amps. just use the searchbar.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Volta. What about that Kustom 50 combo that the Cort man offers at £399? No, on second thoughts a Peavey Windsor Studio from Thomann? Seems to have everything including FX loop.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by BC_Warlock
Tiny terror?
You'd have to try it out though.

NO! a Tiny terror has no clean headroom at all over bedroom practice levels. They also don't take pedals at all when playing loud enough for gigs. I love my TT because it sounds great on its own, but it is NOT what this person is looking for. Don't reccommend amps you have no knowledge of.

anyways. I too say Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. You need an amp with great cleans if you want your sound to come from pedals and fender does it best.

you also do NOT want a single channel amp. Single channel amps get louder by turning up a gain knob, which works inversely with a volume knob. So you can have your volume cranked, and as you turn your gain up, it will get louder and eventually more distorted which is NOT good for pedals.

you want a 2 channel amp and just leave it on the clean channel
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX