I got a JCM 800 2203 (1 channel 100 watt) in my room right now, and I'll have it for the next 10 days or so. It sounds great at lower volumes, but when I turn it up loud, say, practice level, the high end DOMINATES the amp. The clarity is gone and most of what I hear is crackly icy highs.

I have it EQ'ed at

Presence: 0
Bass: 8
Middle: 6
Treble: 0
Master: 3
Preamp/Gain: 6

How do you EQ your amp so you don't get a bunch of "hssshshhhssshhhh" when you crank it.

This is a problem I've had with a lot of my amps at loud volumes.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Jan 29, 2009,
How do you have the amp positioned? On the floor or at head height?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

It's a head sitting on top of a 4x12 Marshall 1960

I'm not using the sonic stomp, just the EMG guitar.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
It's a head sitting on top of a 4x12 Marshall 1960

I'm not using the sonic stomp, just the EMG guitar.

Set everything to halfway at try re-EQing it again.
I think you have the same speakers as me (G12T75s), I had a bit of trouble with too much high end for a while until I really sat down with my amp and played with the settings.
It's a marshall, it doesn't have much bass response. Turn the bass down, treble up a bit.
You've got to remember that old amps like this don't actually sound very full & heavy on their own.

/guess
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
It's got a tube screamer TS9 in front of it, it should have a really full Underoath type tone
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I've heard more bad tones out of JCM 800's than good ones. Especially old stock models.
I would do a preamp tube swap, that will have more affect on the amps voicing than anything.
Also, it's best to eq amps at loud "jam" volume levels.
Really pay attention to what freq's the speakers are pushing and eq the amp to blend with them.
Also, turn the dials wildly, do things you wouldn't normally do. Sometimes players eq too much with their eyes, when they should trust their ears.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Is it possible to get the same exact tone at a loud volume that I can get at a low volume?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
Is it possible to get the same exact tone at a loud volume that I can get at a low volume?
With that amp, I would say no.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I've never heard of a Marshall that got harsh and ice picky at higher volumes, it's usually a little too bright and harsh at lower volumes due to the bright cap. It depends what "practice" volumes means to you. You can snip the bright cap, it will definitely get rid of some of that harshness.

Quote by FischmungaXTR
It's a marshall, it doesn't have much bass response. Turn the bass down, treble up a bit.
You've got to remember that old amps like this don't actually sound very full & heavy on their own.

/guess

That is entirely oxymoronic.
You just have to turn the bass down and you'll have a much much much clearer tone.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by al112987
That is entirely oxymoronic.

So it would seem,
but I have found that if I increase the amount of bass going into my tiny terror (which suffers the same problem as this JCM800), it doesn't increase the amount of low end that the amp is producing but gives lots of mushy, messy harmonics in the low mid frequencies. It is actually better to get more perceived low end response by making the sound punchier, and the only way I have achieved this is by reducing bass frequencies.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
That is the case with certain old Marshalls that get flabby and farty when the bass is turned up but the 2203 is not one of them. I've never felt like they've had a bad bass response. The TT is a 15 watt amp, and will get mushy and flubby when you turn it up like all 15 watt amps. That isn't the problem with the TS's amp, his has a harsh high end, he probably needs to snip the bright cap that is engaged at lower volumes.