I am trying to decide which pickup I should buy. I have an old Kramer Focus 4000 flying V that I am redoing. I need another pickup. I currently have an EMG 85 at the bridge. I play alot of clean classical guitar and clean and light distortion lead and rhythm for the band at church. However, at home and with other friends, I play alot of Pantera, megadeth, slayer, testament and old Randy Rhoades solos. I need a pickup that will do all that and complement the EMG 85. A good clean classical sound is very important!!!

I was looking at an EMG 81, 81TW or 60A to go with the 85. Which do you think?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the new 81TW that is a humbucker and single coil? I was wondering if the humbucker mode sounds just like the original 81 or if there was a slight difference in sound?
I'd go with an 89. It is basically an 85 with a built-in SA singlecoil (switchable with a push-pull pot or something like that). The SA will work fine for clean stuff, the 85 will do high gain well.

I'd not go for passives if you want to keep the 85 in the bridge, because there'd be quite a difference in volume.
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd go with an 89. It is basically an 85 with a built-in SA singlecoil (switchable with a push-pull pot or something like that). The SA will work fine for clean stuff, the 85 will do high gain well.

I'd not go for passives if you want to keep the 85 in the bridge, because there'd be quite a difference in volume.

I'm definately going with another active. I was looking at the 89 but have almost ruled it out since I already have an 85. I was thinking that the 81TW (same as 89 but for the 81) might work for a diverse sound. Already having an 85, I didnt think that the 89 would give me the ability to be able to diversify my sound with my wide array of music styles.
The 60a would sound nice in the neck position of that guitar (IMO)
Combine with a 81 in the bridge. for church, roll off the 81 volume a tad
Last edited by showey at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by showey
The 60a would sound nice in the neck position of that guitar (IMO)
Combine with a 81 in the bridge. for church, roll off the 81 volume a tad

That sounds like a good setup but unfortunately I already have the 85 and will only be buying one pick up for the time being.
81/85 is pretty popular.

Coil-splitting would be nice with EMGs though, to take some of the harshness out of them for cleans. 81TW might be a good choice.
Clean stuff? How about the 60A then? Not sure as its all personal preference right but go and try and 18v mod if you haven't already
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Clean stuff? How about the 60A then? Not sure as its all personal preference right but go and try and 18v mod if you haven't already

Ive heard of the 18v mod but havent tried it. I guess I'm going to have to go to some stores and try to test them all out. Ive been getting suggestions for each pickup. I am kind of leaning to the versatility of the 81TW but will have to test them all to see.
I really don't think you will find the EMG 81TW or 81 in the neck ideal. It's quite dry and lacks the roundness that you would want in a neck pickup. The 60 would be a better choice for versatility.

Me personally, I'd go with an 89 in the neck and an 85 in the bridge. If you want to I can trade you an 81 for your 85 if you want to do the 81/60 combo like the majority of EMG users.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I really don't think you will find the EMG 81TW or 81 in the neck ideal. It's quite dry and lacks the roundness that you would want in a neck pickup. The 60 would be a better choice for versatility.

+1.

i'd go with either a 60 or 89 for the neck.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.