Is overdrive a good thing to use with a tube amp or no? I keep reading that they emulate tube amp sounds, and since I have a tube amp, what would that do to the sound? I have a Peavey classic 50, so is overdrive stupid to get for a tube amp or can it do some good things?
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
Not if you want a clean sound.

Usually people use it to boost their amp by keeping the volume up and the gain down.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
What happens if you use an OD pedal, along with the distortion from the amp?
You can use it to tighten up your sound or use it to give a little more distortion(overdrive)
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
OD Use's

Clean boost - Gain off Level up (tightens amp up for high gain or adds clean saturation on clean channel)
Tube amp emulation- Level set to taste gain up
Fullness- level set to taste and gain up a few notchs ontop of amp gain
ok so it will give me a little more gain on top of the gain on my amp? That would be a good thing, and it will make my cleans a little more pronounced, is that what that means basically?
Quote by tremonti9482
ok so it will give me a little more gain on top of the gain on my amp? That would be a good thing, and it will make my cleans a little more pronounced, is that what that means basically?

It can add a little bit of gain to make things a bit fuller but add to much and it will turn to mud. So use it with caution.

On the clean channel used as a clean boost it can take your preamp tubes to there saturation point. So you can get a bit of dirt added to the mix doing it that way. So if you mean pronounced as in dirty then yes.
Alright, I think I understand now. Would my money be better spent on an equalization pedal?
Quote by tremonti9482
Alright, I think I understand now. Would my money be better spent on an equalization pedal?

What exactly are you looking for?

Tone shaping, more gain, stand alone pedal to emulate power tube saturation or something else?
overdrive was originally created to "imitate the sound of a tube amp"
however most people found that it was best to add on top of a tube amp's distortion for more gain, a boost, or a tighter sound. now most overdrive pedals are made to be stacked on top of tube amp distortion. though they can also be used clean as a standalone distortion or to imitate a tube amp's sounds.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Well I was kind of wanting to get somethin like an inbetween clean and all out distortion sound. It's hard to describe, maybe you know what i'm saying, I want a kind of cleanish/dirty/not real heavy type sound.
Od pedal on the clean channel is pretty much what your looking for. OD's as a stand alone can get as heavy as classic rock with the gain up pretty far. So for example say you wanted clean to sorta dirty then just set your gain low and turn it on ontop of the clean channel. You want more dirty like say blues/classic rock just up the gain on the pedal and turn it on ontop of the clean channel.