So, I've finally been accepted into my schools varsity jazz band (something I've been trying to accomplish for two years now). And I'm looking to get a new guitar, this one in particular: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DXMB-X-Electric-Guitar?sku=512239. But I want to know will it play jazz, or is it strictly hard rock/metal? if it won't due for jazz then what guitars should I look into? Thanks in advance!
you're not going to get really jazzy with that....

i have this guitar by the way
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
you may check some hollow bodies you are not going to play jazz with EMG's
Last edited by blackborrego at Jan 29, 2009,
semi-hollows for jazz , i'm not limiting jazz to JUST them guitars obviously, there probs just a good place to start looking
JacK!
Schecter C-1 Plus gets pretty jazzy. In fact, it kind of surprised me how versatile the neck pickup is. It get's nice rock rhythm tones and it can clean up extremely well.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
No single coil strats or else for Jazz. Ever. Maybe look into some Ephiphone Semi-Hollows, they seem to be in your price-range.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I also play in my school jazz/big band, and i use a Ibanez JEM555 with DiMarzio Evolutions on it, and they are high output. Chances are you wont be up front anyway, and the conductor of a school band isn't going to be tone mad with you. He proberly won't ever hear the difference between the bridge + neck pickup! Fact is, you can play jazz in a school band on that perfectly fine. Just keep the bass nice and low, crank the treble, and dont hit the bottom strings, you'll do fine
GEAR:

Ibanez JEM 555 Steve Vai Signature x2 (Black + White)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom II
Ovation CP247

Vox VT120+
Boss GT-10
Digitech Distortion Factory
My school's Jazz Band is more like a rock band with brass. We use distortion or clean for guitar solos depending on the song but I just play my Samick Les Paul. You should be fine with that guitar. Its not like your instructor is going to bug the hell out of you for your tone.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
Try some Fender Strats, i don't own one but if i had the money i would get one, i love the maple necks on Fenders
Manchester United
Quote by h3llang3l
I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I also play in my school jazz/big band, and i use a Ibanez JEM555 with DiMarzio Evolutions on it, and they are high output. Chances are you wont be up front anyway, and the conductor of a school band isn't going to be tone mad with you. He proberly won't ever hear the difference between the bridge + neck pickup! Fact is, you can play jazz in a school band on that perfectly fine. Just keep the bass nice and low, crank the treble, and dont hit the bottom strings, you'll do fine

I beg to differ: Even if his band is not tone mad with him, you will surely hear the difference between the bridge and the neck pickup. You can only overhear it when you are, in fact, deaf. The setting you recommended is not correct, either. If you have ever listened to some jazz, which I don´t really think, you´d see that the sound is very bassy. This is because 1st, the neck pickup is nearly used throughout, and second, because the EQ is often set like \. And, personally, I´d hit the bottom strings, but I wouldn´t play Barre, or Open chords.

And an edit because I´ve seen so many mentions of Strats: Althought the Strat Neck Singlecoil might produce nice clean tones, this is not the tone you want for Jazz. It´s twangy, and light, and Jazz wants well-pronounced, warm, fat tones. This is why you NEED, in capital letters, a humbucker in the neck position (Low to Middle Output preference).
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Last edited by Madzää at Jan 29, 2009,
i'd go for a Fender Strat, Epiphone Dot or Epiphone Wildkat.

they seem to be the obvious choices for me.
Quote by Dempsey68
i'd go for a Fender Strat, Epiphone Dot or Epiphone Wildkat.

they seem to be the obvious choices for me.

I would stay away from the Dots they have a **** loud of trouble staying in tune . i dont know anything about the wildkats other than they look sharp . the ibanez artcore is far superior to the Dot
Do the Fender Strat.

I love it. The American Standard is a beauty. Now, I don't play strict jazz, but I dabble with some Eric Johnson and he gets jazzy now and then sometimes. I think it would work for you.

What amp does the school have for you to use? Or do you have to use your own?
hollow bodies, i.e. gretsch, ibanez, epiphone, or like a jazzmaster, strat, mustang etc.
also check out some of the michael kelly hollowbodies.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by VicVanity
I would stay away from the Dots they have a **** loud of trouble staying in tune .

Have to disagree there. My Dot has never had any tuning issues.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain