Here is a video of a Carlos Santana solo instrumental, enjoy

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xMdM6_EltoY

My question is, does any body actually know when he is switching between neck and bridge pickups?

It mostly sounds like neck pickup all the time but the little harmonics that pop out here and there might suggest otherwise.

I wonder if anybody here who has better trained ears might be able to tell me when they hear the pickups change.

Thanks
What pickups does he use?

IF he was using my guitar, that'd probably be on the bridge pickup most of the time with a few switches to the neck pickup.

My pickups are balls, so I'm used to having a low-gain bridge pickup weak in harmonics, and a high-gain neck pickup I flipped around.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
What pickups does he use?

IF he was using my guitar, that'd probably be on the bridge pickup most of the time with a few switches to the neck pickup.

My pickups are balls, so I'm used to having a low-gain bridge pickup weak in harmonics, and a high-gain neck pickup I flipped around.

I assume he is using his custom Santana pickups at that point in time. The bridge has a ceramic magnet and the neck has an alnico v i think.
Changes the vol/tone on the guitar, I'm guessing. He usually plays with quite a lot of bass rolled on, I think, which gives him that distinctive soft sound, then rolls up vol/treble for those sharp attacks, maybe combined with switching to the bridge pup.

Just suggestions.
His guitar has a rotary pu switch, so when he hreaches down and turns that knob when he's up by the mike, thats when he changes.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by Zakkcd
His guitar has a rotary pu switch, so when he hreaches down and turns that knob when he's up by the mike, thats when he changes.

hmm, i dunno man... that extra treble in that bit is from a wah pedal I think

Also, Carlos is constantly adjusting the knobs as he plays, he turns the volume up a tad while he is holding notes quite a fair bit.