Page 1 of 4
A man who said he robbed a downtown Shreveport bank because he was out of a job and hungry has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for first-degree robbery.

Roy Brown, 54, of Audrey Lane, pleaded guilty in Caddo District Court to robbing the Capital One bank in December 2007.

Brown admitted walking up to a teller with one of his hands under his jacket and telling her it was a "stickup." The teller handed the man three stacks of bills and he took a single $100 bill, told her he was homeless and left, police said.

Brown surrendered to police the next day, telling them his mother didn't raise him that way.

Police let him sober up and interviewed him two days later. Police said Brown told them he needed money to stay in a downtown detox center, had nowhere to stay and was hungry -- so he walked up the street and robbed the bank.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Man-who-took-one-bill-and-handed-rest-back-to-bank-teller-gets-15-year-sentence-23655/

In other news, AIG executive gets 4 years for $500 million fraud.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
This is some bull****.

I feel bad for the hobo. (from one hobo to another)
Last edited by Vagabond21 at Jan 29, 2009,
He is no longer homeless, you should change the title.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
That's a really sad story. The only way i justify theft is feeding yourself and that's just what the man was doing. 15 years isn't even fair, but he did rob a bank, not just a liquor store or something.
What's there more to say about desperation? The guy turned himself in, and seems to have some morals, so let him off with a couple of months or something.

On the other hand, for a homeless person prison isn;t all that bad considering all the services you get*

*Save for the potential cell rape
and a hip hip hooray for the wonderful US Government.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by Jericho114

lmfao

he'd probably rather be in jail anyways, atleast he will always have food, place to sleep, clean shave.. weights to work out with, TV

sounds better than being homeless right now
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jan 29, 2009,
It's bollocks nothing more to say.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Wouldn't be too surprised if he did it on purpose (although it doesn't sound like it.)
I mean, he was on the streets. Now he has a place to sleep and meals every day. 15 years is unfair, though.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
this sounds like Les Miserables to anyone else?

Jean Valjean, stealing a loaf of bread.. getting 19 years?
helping to cause a revolution against the french?
saving the life of the detective that time and time tried to put him behind bars...

anyone?

..oh im sad...
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
hell, id love that. if i were poor id try to get in county jail, tho thats less time. at least its free food.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I don't understand. Not only did he only take $100, but he turned himself in AND pleaded guilty. 15 years? What the **** is that ****? Maybe 1.
Quote by elliott FTW

saving the life of the detective that time and time tried to put him behind bars...

anyone?

..oh im sad...

Les Miserables is all fun and interesting until you have to read the original book in French.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by elliott FTW

anyone?

..oh im sad...

OMG! TO THE CONSPIRACY CAVE!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
15 years for a 100 dollars, and CEOs who commit tax fraud of millions get nothing?

damn the justice system!

poor hobo
Quote by Cal UK
It's bollocks nothing more to say.

+1

Exactly.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
That's such bs, the man couldn't feed himself!

$100 isn't going to hurt the bank and it gives him food for a couple weeks. I'm disgusted that he got 15 years and some AIG executive only gets four for a much larger crime because he has money.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
He didn't deserve that.
Truth be told, that's a great man, if nothing, despite robbing a bank, he did something beautiful and i find it awesome that there are still honest and good people in this world.

At least now he has a place to sleep and food.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by illuminatiano
and a hip hip hooray for the wonderful US Government.

I will second that motion.

Let us all give our fine nation the one-finger salute of patriotism!
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by BlackandSilver
OMG! TO THE CONSPIRACY CAVE!

*Walks in general direction of cave.*
now what?

*Sets up playstation 2, and starts playing Star Wars Battlefront II*
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Wow wth? It's not like someone was harmed or anything and it was 100 bucks!
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
lmfao

he'd probably rather be in jail anyways, atleast he will always have food, place to sleep, clean shave.. weights to work out with, TV

sounds better than being homeless right now

Yeah man, especially if he was somewhere as cold as Canada this time of year. I personally would rather be locked up with steady meals than freezing my ass off in a cardboard box.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Trefellin
Fuck!

Someone needs to write a folk song about this.

I think I love you.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Popsai
He didn't deserve that.
Truth be told, that's a great man, if nothing, despite robbing a bank, he did something beautiful and i find it awesome that there are still honest and good people in this world.

A massively flawed initial sentiment
He did nothing beautiful
You can't consider it beautiful if it requires doing something abhorrent first
And whatever his motives, robbery is bad mmkay, he knew that himself, he didn't do something beautiful, he did something through guilt

Nonetheless the punishment far from suits the crime
But don't idolize the man, he did something wrong, however he then acted, don't ignore that initial fact (again, not matter his reasoning, although I do feel for him, there's got to be a better way to go about it, if not it still doesn't mean he didn't commit a crime)
Quote by thewho65
What's there more to say about desperation? The guy turned himself in, and seems to have some morals, so let him off with a couple of months or something.

On the other hand, for a homeless person prison isn;t all that bad considering all the services you get*

*Save for the potential cell rape

As long as he doesn't drop the soap he'll be fine

Quote by tushmeister
A massively flawed initial sentiment
He did nothing beautiful
You can't consider it beautiful if it requires doing something abhorrent first
And whatever his motives, robbery is bad mmkay, he knew that himself, he didn't do something beautiful, he did something through guilt

Nonetheless the punishment far from suits the crime
But don't idolize the man, he did something wrong, however he then acted, don't ignore that initial fact (again, not matter his reasoning, although I do feel for him, there's got to be a better way to go about it, if not it still doesn't mean he didn't commit a crime)

Beautiful the fact that he turned himself in after that, i mean.
I know he did a crime, but the fact he then turned himself in from the guilt, confessed everything was a pretty awesome thing to do, and proves the guy was kind of heart, just... well extreme circumstances bring out the worst in people.
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Last edited by Popsai at Jan 29, 2009,
The article was too short to give me much of an opinion of the matter, but if it is true and that is the only thing he did, then it's ridiculous
Quote by iantheman
I think I love you.

Wow... I certainly don't hear that often.

It would make a good folk song though. "My mother didn't raise me like this" would make an especially good line. Too bad I've not developed any song writing skills yet.
Quote by Popsai
Beautiful the fact that he turned himself in after that, i mean.
I know he did a crime, but the fact he then turned himself in from the guilt, confessed everything was a pretty awesome thing to do, and proves the guy was kind of heart, just... well extreme circumstances bring out the worst in people.

Which is exactly what I mean
It was an act driven by guilt
To me no guilt-driven action can be considered beautiful
For the same reason no good deed expecting a reward can be considered a good deed, it's the act of a mercenary
To do something through guilt isn't heroic, beautiful, amazing etc

But I'm ever the cynic
I don't mean to argue, I just personally feel it can't be a beautiful thing to do, a murderer confessing his crime would never be considered in the same light, even if he did it through self-defence (i.e had a 'righteous' reasoning to do so, not that I believe taking any life can be justified really)
Quote by bulldozerbob
The article was too short to give me much of an opinion of the matter, but if it is true and that is the only thing he did, then it's ridiculous

Apparently he had some prior convictions.

I'm just posting it to give an example of scale with the AIG CEO
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by tushmeister
Which is exactly what I mean
It was an act driven by guilt
To me no guilt-driven action can be considered beautiful
For the same reason no good deed expecting a reward can be considered a good deed, it's the act of a mercenary
To do something through guilt isn't heroic, beautiful, amazing etc

But I'm ever the cynic
I don't mean to argue, I just personally feel it can't be a beautiful thing to do, a murderer confessing his crime would never be considered in the same light, even if he did it through self-defence (i.e had a 'righteous' reasoning to do so, not that I believe taking any life can be justified really)

I feel what you're saying.
But to me, the fact that he turned himself in out of guilt, means how desperate he was before, i mean, you know you've hit rock bottom when you have to rob a bank to get food.
The fact that he couldn't bear the guilt of what he'd done, means that he was good of heart, but, just like i said, extreme circumstances bring out the worst in people.
Quote by Reincaster

Quote by shredhead22

For everyone saying at least he's in PRISON now with food and a roof, have you ever been to jail? Or PRISON?
Quote by Popsai
I feel what you're saying.
But to me, the fact that he turned himself in out of guilt, means how desperate he was before, i mean, you know you've hit rock bottom when you have to rob a bank to get food.
The fact that he couldn't bear the guilt of what he'd done, means that he was good of heart, but, just like i said, extreme circumstances bring out the worst in people.

I'll leave our discussion where it lies, it's detracting from the thread, or it will be if we continue
Quote by Popsai
He didn't deserve that.

Yea, he's probably better off in prison really.

I want to do something about this though, it's ****ing ridiculous.
I'll try and write a song, anyone with me? I'm bored...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Last edited by floppypick at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
For everyone saying at least he's in PRISON now with food and a roof, have you ever been to jail? Or PRISON?

have you ever been homeless?
Quote by blackenedktulu
I Don't Really Know But Capitalising The First Letter In Every Word Is Really Annoying.

As For Me I Like To Play My Own Songs, As I Am Not Into Show Boating.
Why are you people feeling sorry for him? I'd say that was jackpot. He's got a house for the next 15 years.
Quote by Jericho114

15 years is a long time, but it is better than being homeless
Page 1 of 4