My strat has very little sustain. Even with distortion on the humbucker pickup, i only get 3-5 seconds. It sucks. I dont have money to get it setup. Im freakin 14 haha. This guitar cost me all my money. What can i do to increase the sustain?
Learn to set it up yourself. Save you a huge amount of money later on. Is sustain cutting because it's buzzing? Try raising the action (See the setup FAQ at the top of this forum)
Those questions are answered in that thread

It'll take a little while to set-up the first time, since you haven't got lots of experience. Don't be put off, you'll get there, just be patient and take your time.
It's a strat, you're lucky to get 3-5 seconds. Strats are not famous for their sustain. If you want sustain you should have got a les paul.

There are two ways to get sustain out of strats and you have to fight it in both situations:

1- High volume, high gain, feedback on the note.
2- Intense, aggressive vibrato that keeps the note ringing out.

You've gotta fight strats man, they don't just hand you the tone like Les Pauls do, you've gotta make them come alive.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
It's a strat, you're lucky to get 3-5 seconds. Strats are not famous for their sustain. If you want sustain you should have got a les paul.

There are two ways to get sustain out of strats and you have to fight it in both situations:

You've gotta fight strats man, they don't just hand you the tone like Les Pauls do, you've gotta make them come alive.

I should still get more sustain than I am. My teachers strat sustains a whole crapload longer than mine
3-5 secs is far more than I ever got out of a Strat. I hope that learning to do a setup teaches you all the subtleties of guitars and you get the result you want. Good luck.
This isn't going to help you at all....but...

Crank a Fender Blues Junior NOS while putting a Stratocaster with a TBx Midboost Kit through it and you have yourself more sustain than you'll ever need.

The mod is $75 (and you have to modify the guitar to make it fit) and the amp is over $550...so like I said, it won't help.

Just wanted to say that it definitely is possible to get great sustain out of a Strat, they just need a "boost".

FYI, your teacher probably not only has his guitar set up properly, but also has better pickups.
Last edited by Bravo86 at Jan 29, 2009,
Quote by NtaPtikab
Thank you. Is there a certain order in which i should go about settign it up? and how long should it take for a setup first time?

Like Mazzakazza said, it's described in detail in the thread. Usually, you start by adjusting the truss rod, then the string height and the intonation at the end. The first two things might actually increase your guitar's sustain. If they don't... well, that's it then.
Take your time doing it, especially when adjusting the truss rod. It is important to do it in small steps. It's all described in the thread and the people who posted there are better at describing things than me.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

^^^so ****ing true
Thats why most people love strats.

You have to really be a solid player and know your way around them to make them work. But when they work they really ****ing work!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Screw that. It's not true and you know it.

I have two strats, one standard SSS set up and the other HSS with Lace Sensors... The 2nd one doesn't count in this debate (I suppose) because it weighs 12 pound and has Lace Sensor Reds in it (though is sustains for 10+ seconds with fairly fresh strings, no vibrato, low volume). But even the standard one can go solidly for ~8 seconds with fairly fresh stings (this is at low volumes, with some vibrato, but nothing all that aggressive).

Also heavier strings sustain longer. Just because I'm a .009s man for my 25.5" ("Fender") scale guitars (.010s for 24.75" "Gibson" scales, about the same string tension that way) doesn't mean that you should be. Also... When you have the money get a compressor; they add a little bit of noise and they change the attack sightly but they give you sustain all day even at or below speaking volume... Very much worth the investment if you can't crank your rig...

And get your wrist vibrato working... My sustain times are probably high by a second or two just because of that. Plus it sounds SO MUCH BETTER once you get good at it. I swear; the key to great lead playing is almost entirely in the wrist, not the fingers.
Last edited by RadioMuse at Jan 31, 2009,
Yeah, my strat doesnt get much more sustain then that and im cool with it, ill just use feedback if I need a loooooooong note
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo