well admittedly i have got 2 years of high school left but music is the way I want to go. I've already been recommended by my guitar teacher that I should consider going to a music school. I'm considering the London Music Institute and Berklee is a dream (but living in Scotland makes it very hard to even get an interview!).

So pit. . . is there even any point in getting a degree in guitar? I'm really keen on producing aswell. . . . is there any chance i could do both? what are the standards needed to get into these colleges anyway?

cheers in advance

Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
Well you'll get better at guitar, for sure, and have a much firmer understanding of the theory behind it. The one I have my eye on (Musician's Institute, Berklee seems damn hard to get into) is in Hollywood and has programs for guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, vocals, recording, business, film (I don't know why, maybe because it's Hollywood?), and others.

It'll give you a nice piece of paper to say you can contribute to society, I guess.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
There's no point. Everything you learn on music courses you can learn yourself in your free time.

You'd be better off working towards something with a good job at the end of it (whilst learning music theory and production etc) in your own time. That way, if your music career doesn't work out you can actually get a decent job.
I just want to have anything to do with music, recording, performing, I want it to be my profession. Ad while Berklee is probably out of reach :S I think in the next two years i can really advance enough to get in. If at 15 I could do past Higher (A level) guitar I should manage.

Session work? I've heard a bit about it but how does it work? anyone care to enlighten me?
Equipment:
I'm in Sibelius Academy currently for the next 16 years.
I'll see you here, I hope!
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
You could also look into colleges with good music programs. I'm looking into Elizabethtown In PA because of it's integral Music Therapy courses.

Of course, that's just for therapy. I can't speak for other colleges music programs. Just throwing it out there <_<.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
well i'm looking into doing a performing musician course at Access To Music in Lincoln,and they have a few centres around the place,they might have 1 or 2 in Scotland.affordable fees and it doesn't sound too bad at all,my friends donig the course in manchester and loves it.

also,i hear good things about the Academy of Contempory Music

edit:Access To Music also have some music production courses
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

"That's what i spend most of my time doing,breathing a lot.I like air"-John Frusciante
Last edited by nickyjohnson at Jan 29, 2009,
Look up the Leeds College of Music, (as its nearer to Scotland than Berklee) and think about the music production course. The name is confusing because most of it is performance, but with music production mixed in somewhere.
And guitar is a favourable instrument there if you're good.
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.
Quote by nickyjohnson
well i'm looking into doing a performing musician course at Access To Music in Lincoln,and they have a few centres around the place,they might have 1 or 2 in Scotland.affordable fees and it doesn't sound too bad at all,my friends donig the course in manchester and loves it.

also,i hear good things about the Academy of Contempory Music
There's a decent chance I'm going there For one of the Production courses though, not for guitar. You have to be pretty good to do that. Sight reading sheet music and such.
Quote by dawson_monkey
Look up the Leeds College of Music, (as its nearer to Scotland than Berklee) and think about the music production course. The name is confusing because most of it is performance, but with music production mixed in somewhere.
And guitar is a favourable instrument there if you're good.

ill definitly give them look up.
Music production sounds good for me as I'm really interested in production.
Equipment:
Quote by sadistic_monkey
There's a decent chance I'm going there For one of the Production courses though, not for guitar. You have to be pretty good to do that. Sight reading sheet music and such.

I might join you

I'd love to do guitar but production sounds like it would be more likely to get me a job
Equipment: