I have a friend who plays piano and also generally enjoys listening to new kinds of metal that I introduce to her. She has expressed interest in actually writing piano pieces for metal songs, but she can't really figure out where to start without some sort of examples. I thought about picking and choosing some good metal songs that have cool piano parts in them (so feel free to suggest some), but then I thought it might be more useful to get her an album where entire metal songs have been transcribed to and played on piano.

The only one that really comes to mind is The Piano Tribute to Iron Maiden. I have not heard it myself yet, but it seems like it's probably a neat album. However, I'm kind of looking for something of a heavier variety. Possibly a little more modern, but still with some type of classical influence. Can anybody suggest any good piano/symphony tribute albums (or songs) that fit this criteria?
black label society in this river < mostly piano then guitar solo
avenged sevenfold warmness on the soul < all piano
Quote by pretanga
black label society in this river < mostly piano then guitar solo
avenged sevenfold warmness on the soul < all piano

uhh... NO.

Dream Theater or Symphony X maybe? Or Nightwish, also.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Piano Damnation.

Opeth's Damnation, all on piano.

Sweet. Didn't even know they had one. I'll check that out for sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by The Kreator
Or Nightwish, also.

I actually considered Nightwish at one point, but I think it migh tbe a tad too cheesy for her tastes, what with the Power Metal and all.
kalmah has some nice piano interludes, my nation is really good.

Couldnt you just print her off some tabs and she could read the sheet music and kind of piano-ize the guitar/keyboard parts to get a feel for it.
The keyboards in Black Diamond by Stratovarius are the only metal piano stuff I can play - it's really fun, catchy classical type stuff.

Also, you seem to be going to a lot of trouble for this female friend of yours. Good luck with that.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by madbasslover
Tell her to check out Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen.

Hehe, that's actually the very first piece I gave her to learn. I think that intro is ****ing phenomenal (even if it is plagiarized ). However, the rest of the song was not to her liking. It was a good start, but I need to find some more varied examples before she can really pick it up. She has a more "jazzy" type background in piano rather than classical. So she kind of has to start from scratch in a sense.

Quote by Phill-Rock
Also, you seem to be going to a lot of trouble for this female friend of yours. Good luck with that.

Hah! I wouldn't say this is really all that much trouble. It's not quite like that. This is more for my benefit than hers I suppose. The more metal I can find that has something in common with some of her interests, the more she gets into the genre as a whole. And that bodes very well for me. It's my personal mission to get all of my friends to listen to and enjoy metal because, well, it is awesome. And when she gets good enough at it she can join my band and then we can write some badass metal.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Jan 29, 2009,
Swallow the Sun- Hold This Woe
Simple, but effective.
Also, the outro to Agalloch- Odal, Agalloch- The Melancholy Spirit, and Vinterland- Wings of Sorrow
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Jan 29, 2009,
www.myspace.com/belakor

neither shape nor shadow and treaste (i think that's the other song i'm thinking of...) both have cool piano parts.

the dechristianize piano cover sounds ****ing amazing...
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Last edited by pistols at Jan 29, 2009,
Kamelot has some awsome piano parts. Center of the Universe, for example.
Chack out some Savatage as well. Labyrinths and Exit Music off of Edge of Thorns (really great album, they need more exposure) are mostly piano if my memory serves me correctly.
look up
vkgoeswild on youtube she does piano covers of a lot of different bands
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
Quote by TWISTEDFender
Children of Bodom - any

Yeah, I think that would be awesome, but I don't think it would translate to well from synth to piano. She's not a fan of the cheesy synth keys type thing. And in all honesty most of the Bodom stuff is probably beyond her ability.

Quote by misanthropy_inc

Haha, awesome!
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Piano Damnation.

Opeth's Damnation, all on piano.

I think I just went in my pants.....

A lot of Opeth albums would sound great. Still Life would be cool.

EDIT: Oh, maybe some Cynic too
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jan 30, 2009,