I really only use the pentatonic minor and blues scales when improvising over basic rock chord progressions. I never use the pentatonic major. Can this scale be used just the same?

Also I often combine the pent minor and bules scales. Is the pent major ever mixed in?

Is the pent major just the same as the pent minor in its relative minor?

Before there are a bunch of replys such as music is boundless and play what sounds right. I get it. I just wanted to know if these are generally accepted practices.

Yes, so if you use a minor your also using a major; both scales work in the same way
Fender Stratocaster Highway One
Digitech GNX 4
Laney Lx65R
angus young is kinda famous for mixing major and minor pentatonics in his solos
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Yeah the Majo and Minor pents are the same shapes, just with a different root.
G minor pent, 1st position starts on the G and goes up as you should obviously know. The relative major, Bb starts on the Bb which is the second step of the G minor pent, and is the same shape.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Quote by McG5-0
IAlso I often combine the pent minor and bules scales. Is the pent major ever mixed in?

It sounds cool sometimes to throw in the major 3rd when soloing with minor pent/blues scale. Eric Clapton does it well in his solos on "Crossroads."
I think the reason that the minor pentatonic fits better is because most rock and blues type music is written in a minor key or uses a progression of mostly minor chords. On occasion I play bass for my churches band, I have no problem throwing major pentatonic fills into the song. I think this is because almost every song is in a major key.

I could be wrong, if I am, don't just say fail, tell me why please?

on another note, the minor pentatonic scale is really just a minor 7th suspended 4th chord and the major pentatonic is the 1st inversion.
Quote by Zoso Juan

Yes, so if you use a minor your also using a major; both scales work in the same way

NO!

That's all wrong. They are modes of each other but that's NOT how you use both
major and minor pent at the same time.

@TS: Yes. The major pent is OFTEN mixed with minor pent over a major progression.
Minor pentatonic over major, in a nutshell, is blues. This seems to confuse people
who think minor pent is only over minor chords. Since major pentatonic "fits" a
major chord, it is often mixed in. Exclusive use of major pent over major is often
associated with a "country" sound.
Listen to Allman Brothers Band for some awesome major scale/major pentatonic soloing