Hi all I am new to this forum and also new to guitar, going to pick up my first guitar this weekend, lessons staring next week. Browsed through sites and forums and narrowed down to these choices as they are almost the same price and both are at my budget, Yamaha FG730S or Alvarez AD60K. Which one should I pick and why? or any other suggestion? I know its good to go hold and play it in person but since I am a newbie I won't know whats good or bad. Hope someone here can give me advice!
i think you would want to have the best playability for your first acoustic guitar.. i would recomend Yamaha FG700s.. its much cheaper that the FG730s.. but you wouldn't notice the difference that much.. because its just the back and sides.. and for the extra buck you may want to buy some other acc. like tuner.? capo.? just remember to haggle with the seller.. hope i help this one
Well, my advice is to take someone who knows what they're talking about with you to the store when you try them out.

But how do you know which one is right for you? Sit down with it and hold it like you're about to play. Does the neck feel too big for your hands? Is the body shape comfortable to you? Play a couple of chords. Does it sound good to your ear? How hard is it to push down on the strings so that notes ring out clearly?

When buying a first guitar, your first priority is to make sure you're comfortable with it. That means comfortable body size and neck. How do you tell? Well, ask yourself as you hold the guitar "Does this feel comfortable to me?"

And I can't stress this enough. Take someone with you that plays guitar. Friend, relative, neighbor, whatever. Someone you know who plays guitar and knows what they're talking about.

Also, I'm sure you can find a UGer who lives in your area who would be more than happy to help. If you live in the Wichita area, I'll gladly go to GC and help with recommendations.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Well, my advice is to take someone who knows what they're talking about with you to the store when you try them out.

But how do you know which one is right for you? Sit down with it and hold it like you're about to play. Does the neck feel too big for your hands? Is the body shape comfortable to you? Play a couple of chords. Does it sound good to your ear? How hard is it to push down on the strings so that notes ring out clearly?

When buying a first guitar, your first priority is to make sure you're comfortable with it. That means comfortable body size and neck. How do you tell? Well, ask yourself as you hold the guitar "Does this feel comfortable to me?"

And I can't stress this enough. Take someone with you that plays guitar. Friend, relative, neighbor, whatever. Someone you know who plays guitar and knows what they're talking about.

Also, I'm sure you can find a UGer who lives in your area who would be more than happy to help. If you live in the Wichita area, I'll gladly go to GC and help with recommendations.

This. Regardless if you're a newbie or not, one of the most important things in playing (and starting) guitar is that you're comfortable with your guitar. Most beginners tend to quit playing cause they just don't have the feel for the guitar. Once you find your desired initial feel, your adjustments to technique and overall playing better and quicker will be quite easy.
I am new to this site, but have been playing a few years. I went to the local Sam Ash and played every instrument they had until I narrowed it down to the one I bought. I was fortunate in that I had a fairly good budget and got a Martin DC-15E solid mahogany, it's not flashy but it has wonderful action and a nice tone to it, a deeper more mellow note than the others I'd heard. I think that you should buy the guitar that best "fits" you within your given budget. I could have bought a $15,000 guitar but the one I chose wasn't even close to that, I got it for about $2,000 if memory serves. But my brother in law has a real nice Takamine he bought for a few hundred, it's all in perspective of what your pocketbook and skill level can afford. The more you enjoy yur instrument the more you will practice and play.