i had my eyes on importing a valveking/B-52 but i read some things about tube amps that would make them not practical for me:
-they need cranking up to get the tone,i cant do that most of the time
-they are heavy to move around and i need something i can carry around to rehearsals and back home and to gigs and i dont have a car
-they need maintennence and tube replacing and i egypt is lacking in both

so im guessing i'l have to go solid state....now i need advice on the Heaviest and most versatile solid state i can get...my budget is about 330 dollars and i need something thats not too big (say 60 watts) and that has brutal distortion that i wont need distortion pedals,footswitchable channels of course

the cube 60x is available,is it good or do i have better options,if so then what are they?
Tube amps do NOT need to be cranked to get good tone. Modern-day tube amps are made to sound good at lower volumes and increase in sound quality as the volume is turned up.

Tube amps are heavy, if you got the 1x12 version of either it wouldn't be too bad, probably about 50lbs.

Tube amps only need tubes replaced every 2 or so years on power tubes and about double the time on preamp tubes. They will not require maintenance unless you're abusive to it, and I believe the Valveking's bias is non-adjustable, so if you did have to change tubes, all you'd have to do is take the old ones out and put the new ones in, nothing else.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can still get a tube amp. They aren't nearly as much trouble as some people would make you think, and you can get very low wattage tube amps that don't have to be loud to be cranked and sweet sounding.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Tube amps do NOT need to be cranked to get good tone. Modern-day tube amps are made to sound good at lower volumes and increase in sound quality as the volume is turned up.

Tube amps are heavy, if you got the 1x12 version of either it wouldn't be too bad, probably about 50lbs.

Tube amps only need tubes replaced every 2 or so years on power tubes and about double the time on preamp tubes. They will not require maintenance unless you're abusive to it, and I believe the Valveking's bias is non-adjustable, so if you did have to change tubes, all you'd have to do is take the old ones out and put the new ones in, nothing else.

Epic +1.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
+1 for Mr. Claw

and if you really want a SS amp Roland Cube 60x/ Peavey Vypyr 75/60 + mic for gigs
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Alijonroth
-they are heavy to move around and i need something i can carry around to rehearsals

Tube amps aren't heavier than solid states, there both the same weight depending on the size.
Quote by MatrixClaw

thanks! very informative but thinking id have to compromise sound quality and (i dunno,how much is 50lbs in kilograms?) probably solid states are still easier to move around with,is there a solid state at the same price range that surpasses the valveking,and how does the cube 60x/peavey vypr compare as regards heaviness of the tone at low volumes? (ill probably only get to crank the amp at studio rehearsals and gigs but most of the time itll be on a relatively low volume)
and what other choices do i have?
Quote by Alijonroth
thanks! very informative but thinking id have to compromise sound quality and (i dunno,how much is 50lbs in kilograms?) probably solid states are still easier to move around with,is there a solid state at the same price range that surpasses the valveking,and how does the cube 60x/peavey vypr compare as regards heaviness of the tone at low volumes? (ill probably only get to crank the amp at studio rehearsals and gigs but most of the time itll be on a relatively low volume)
and what other choices do i have?

1) vypr rapes cube
2) sounds nasty on low volumes
3) get a tube amp, it'll still be fine on low volumes
3a) get a cheap power attenuator on ebay made by like some chinese guy in his basement if you must

outline'd
Solid state amps aren't much lighter than tube amps. Guitar amps in general weigh alot, either build some muscle, hire a roadie or stop playing.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by killthequeenftw
they make peavey vypr tube amps tooooo!

some say its hybrid some say its tube.
i really think that its a tube amp because the spider tube made by bogner (which is pretty good) are tube amps not hybrids like the valvetronix and the vypyr is like the Spider tube except better.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Lefty Guitarist
Alijonroth
-they are heavy to move around and i need something i can carry around to rehearsals

Tube amps aren't heavier than solid states, there both the same weight depending on the size.

Tube amps are heavier dude. Valveking 112 is 45 lbs and you can swap the tubes yourself.

Vypyrs are light and versatile. I pick the Vypyr. MatrixClaw did make good points though. And Solid State amps can often be more difficult and costly to repair so that myth is busted.
Quote by Raijouta
Solid state amps aren't much lighter than tube amps. Guitar amps in general weigh alot, either build some muscle, hire a roadie or stop playing.

im not a feeble guy,i played basketball in youth teams before college,its just that i dont want strained tense hands before a band rehearsal
Quote by Alijonroth
im not a feeble guy,i played basketball in youth teams before college,its just that i dont want strained tense hands before a band rehearsal

If you can manage the weight, your hands will be fine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I get strained hands from carrying my guitar about... It's all about the ergonomics, not the weight. What I mean is you'll have strained hands anyway because an amp in generall is a largish box with one handle in a non logical place.
Just get a valve amp.

You'll be a lot more satisfied with your tone, and that goes a long way.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I get strained hands from carrying my guitar about... It's all about the ergonomics, not the weight. What I mean is you'll have strained hands anyway because an amp in generall is a largish box with one handle in a non logical place.

He should get a JVM combo, b/c it has handles on the side for easy transport

But seriously, you can only judge an amp so much by ease of transport. You should be able to find a good sounding tube amp,that is as easy to carry as any of the solid state combos that have been mentioned.

Check out

Traynor, the YCV50Blue is solid and not too hard to lug

Egnater, Rebel 30 combo comin out in April, variable wattage designed specifically to be a do-it-all amp.
Quote by MatrixClaw

my xxx is a 1x12 and it's insanely heavy, I'm guessing above 70lbs.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Here's an idea.....

Make a small cart to wheel your amp around on. Build a handle off of it.

Better yet, just buy a little red wagon. Radio Flyer amp cart anyone?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray