I was wondering if anybody could tell me if a compressor pedal works well with an eq and if it is worth having both. I already have an eq pedal, a phaser, a delay and a wah, and was just wondering if i compressor would help with thickening the tone.

I currently play from an ibanez sa260 and a laney vc15, aswell as the effects mentioned earlier.

Thanks
Well a compressor essentially takes the loud notes and brings em down and the soft notes and brings em up. I always thought a Compressor, an EQ, and a Reverb/Delay pedals are staples on pedal boards and I'd go for them before anything else.

Even though I don't have any of them because I got all my pedals so cheap
Quote by The_Bosstone
Well a compressor essentially takes the loud notes and brings em down and the soft notes and brings em up. I always thought a Compressor, an EQ, and a Reverb/Delay pedals are staples on pedal boards and I'd go for them before anything else.

Even though I don't have any of them because I got all my pedals so cheap

Ye that's what i thought, but then if the compressor brings the loud notes down and low notes up, then doesn't that defeat the object of the eq?

I'm probably mistaken about this but i just want to be clear... i don't really understand it.
Quote by tom_martin_123
Ye that's what i thought, but then if the compressor brings the loud notes down and low notes up, then doesn't that defeat the object of the eq?

I'm probably mistaken about this but i just want to be clear... i don't really understand it.

No, an equalizer brings up and down the frequency of the guitar. Two different things. The right side of it brings the Treble (high frequency) up or down, middle of it brings the Mids (middle frequency) up or down, and the left of it brings the Bass (low frequency) up or down. Compression has to do with volume.