i have a Marshall MG10Cd and it has an output jack, and i was wondering if there is a way to connect this amp to bigger cabinet like one you would see on a half stack. feel free to post links of anything. thanks in advance.
Quote by Dextrose718
it wouldnt be that much louder even if you could hook it up

+1 theres minimal benefits to doing this
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
Quote by Dextrose718
it wouldnt be that much louder even if you could hook it up

that doesnt make sense to me, beacus if you hook something up to a cabinet and the cabinet is louder then the amp itself how would it not be any louder?
The amplifier only has a certain max power output. For example if you plug a 4000 watt cabinet into a 100 watt amplifier, you're only gonna get 100 watts coming through the cabinet.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
power amp circuitry of your marshall is only going to supply 10w of power to the speakers, it wont be any louder, more speakers doesnt mean more power.
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
yes, but the cabinet is not driving it, the amp is!!!! it is still ten watts. period. no matter what. the wattage of the cabinet is how much it can handle (aka 100w amp on 50w cab=bad news)
the cabinet doesnt even plug in.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Tyree182
wouldnt the cabinet work as speaker though?
Yeah the cabinet would still work as a speaker, but it will put out no more watts than the amplifier in your combo amp puts out.

Maybe this will help answer your question. Try plugging an mp3 player into a large set of speakers without an amplifier. You will get very little sound out of the speakers because the power output of the mp3 player is very little (I assume it's less than 5 watts). So even if the speakers can handle a large amount of power, the ipod only produces about 5 watts, so that's all the speakers are going to put out. Now, if you have an amplifier that puts out, say, 100 watts, and the speakers can handle 100 watts, you are going to get the maximum power out of the speakers. I hope that makes sense now.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
The benefit of plugging in an extra cab really depends on what you want.

If you're looking for more volume, then everyone is correct, you won't get it.

If however you are looking for a more dynamic sound/more bass response/more projection, then plugging your combo into a cab would help. I don't know if the mg's can be plugged into an external cab though.
a cabinet is nothing but speakers

the amp is what powers the thing.
and you have a very weak amp.

if you hook a 10 watt amp to any speakers, regardless of if it is in a cab or not., your only getting 10 watts worth of power.

the wattage on a cabinet is just how many watts it can handle, it doesnt produce power, their just speakers. it gets power from the amp
Last edited by Dextrose718 at Jan 30, 2009,
It won't be much louder, it may sound fuller...but the benefits probably aren't worth the effort.
Some of the advice has neen a little off. I don't know your amp but it is probably driving 10W into (I guess) a 4ohm speaker. When you plug in an extension speaker it will probably be wired to switch off the internal speaker. That is how my Peavey practice amp works. Your amp will probably drive 10W into 4 ohms and 5W into eight ohms.

Speakers vary enormously in how they convert the output of your amp into sound. A guitar speaker can easily give 9dB more than another one, this would be th same as increasing your power amp eight times.

When my main amp blew up at a practice I plugged an extension speaker into the practice amp. I have4n't measured it but I reckon I get an extra 3dB at least, equivalent to more than doubling the power.

If you have access to a big speaker then try it. you have nothing to lose.

Good luck
wrong, you have more "room filling ability". what is happening is that the larger speakers are spreading the sound around the room more. It may SEEM louder, but it really isnt. not to mention, and i cant believe i forgot to think of this, ten watts solid state wont drive higher wttage speakers very well, resulting in a dull, flat tone.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
wrong, you have more "room filling ability". what is happening is that the larger speakers are spreading the sound around the room more. It may SEEM louder, but it really isnt. not to mention, and i cant believe i forgot to think of this, ten watts solid state wont drive higher wttage speakers very well, resulting in a dull, flat tone.

+1
Speakers might make it sound louder but to really get a louder sound, you need a higher wattage amp.

But if the cab has good enough speakers, it might make your tone sound better. If you have a cab laying around then it's worth a try, otherwise, don't waste the money on buying a cab, buy a higher wattage combo amp.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2