my band is looking around at different recording studios. many have flat rates, but they all have additional fees for mixing/mastering. i just want to know what is included in mixing and mastering, or what they consider it. i know how to find the sound i'm looking for, and we're probably just going to do straight recording, not a bunch of tracks and levels. is there anything i should really know before i do this. is an engineer really needed, or can i do it myself?
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
if you're going to a studio you'll probably have all of the instruments recorded seperately to give you a better recorded sound. Mixing is the process of putting all of these together at the correct levels and places in the mix, as well as adding effects, EQ, reverb, compression etc... Mastering is the final stage of the process, where a mastering engineer (who will have excellent listening equipment and sensitive ears) makes any final changes and adds overall EQ's etc... and generally makes the song sound as good as it possibly can.

If you're going to a studio, getting an engineer would be best, as they will know their way around the equipment and the studio and you'll get stuff done much more quickly. Also, mixing and mastering is worth the money if you don't know what you're doing.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Judging from what you know about the process, I would say just let the engineer do everything.
If you can (and I don't know why you wouldn't be able to) get a copy of each individual track as a file before any eq has been done. At this point, why not have a go at doing all the mixing and mastering yourself.
Then if/when you decide that you can't get it sounding good enough, go back and pay for them to mix and master the tracks for you.
It will be a great learning experience and you will be able to appreciate what the engineer does even more!

-Ryan
thank you, both of you. you've been very helpful without being dicks like most people. haha
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.