So, for my school's show choir audition (I'll be trying out for guitar) we need to present some scales, and a short, well-known song, plus a song that current show choir members will teach us. I have two questions; First, what would be some good scales to demonstrate? Major across the fretboard? And second, what would be a good song to learn for this sort of setting? It can't be too hard or complicated since I have to know it by next Tuesday or Wednesday, so...i was thinking either a jazz piece or a vocal melody on the guitar from a popular musical. What do you guys recommend?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Misirlou, by Dick Dale. Haha, just kidding, but, on track: Maybe the three minor scales and the major scale. Possibly the mixolydian mode. I dunno, you have a lot of options bud.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
You should try something from a popular Rock Opera perhaps, preferable not a Juke Box musical, perhaps Jesus Christ Superstar, Hair, Rent or something not entirely sure what a show choir is?
Basically, they sing and dance at the same time, with a band (piano, drums, bassist, 2 guitarists, maybe more) playing their music.
Any specific songs from Rent? I think that'd be the most fitting.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Sounds fun, choir is awesome. I don't recall ever singing a modal piece. If you have to play some scales I would do major and minor in multiple octaves. As for the song I have no idea we sing either acapella or accompanied by piano.
At our school, it's cool. We have the whole band thing backing them. I'm thinking the scales thing is just for the vocalists, though.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I was actually in my school's show choir for two years on guitar. We did play a medley that had miserlou and the power rangers theme among others. Song selection just depends on how cool the teacher is.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
...we play friken High School Musical...goddammit...
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
UPDATE: I found out that I don't have to do the scales and such, and that the current guitarists AREN'T teaching us a song. So I had to decide between For Whom the Bell Tolls (chosen for rhythm/solo parts) an original (same reason as FWtBTs, plus its original) or the first few minutes of Soothsayer by Buckethead. I ended up choosing Soothsayer, due to the range of techniques it shows, combo of melody and rhythm work, and the fact that it's clean with some reverb, which is more than likely the kind of stuff i'll be playing.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300