All right, so I am now the proud owner of an MXR 10 band EQ. I just bought it, had some fun with it, managed to get some sweet clean tones but I bought it mainly because my distortion lacks the clarity I would like it to have.. I am running the EQ in the effects loop right now, and my ''distortion'' is an EHX big muff. So here's my issue: I can't seem to make it sound as clear as I would like, any suggestion ?
By clear, I mean being able to hear every note distinctively rather than a muddy ensemble
boost the frequencies around 4k. it works for me when i have a dark, muddy tone and i need more clarity
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
looks like a nice rig. youre going to have to play with the eq. all amps will react differently when you increase/ decrease frequencies. just get the best possible sound out of your amp with the eq off then fine tune with the pedal. try not using the big muff too and use the lead channel of your traynor if youre going after distortion.(unless it doesnt have a lead channel, dont know much about traynors.)
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Hey, completely random, but does anyone find their amp's EQ sounds bad when in a band situation, but good at home?

And I support sg622's statement. That's what I was going to suggest, actually....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
i do have a lead channel (damn my finger's bleeding, I just cut myself by accident by cutting some velcro for the pedal lol) but it's not gainy enough, I happen to like having my big muff on, sounds like my gain's up to 31...
I tried scooping the mids and I actually liked the sound, but there was no way I could play any chord over that lol, what's in control of the presence, is it the middle section of the EQs ?
Quote by stratman_13
Hey, completely random, but does anyone find their amp's EQ sounds bad when in a band situation, but good at home?

And I support sg622's statement. That's what I was going to suggest, actually....

The eq can act differently when a tube amp is cranked. also i can do with the room acoustics.
Quote by Darkflame
i do have a lead channel (damn my finger's bleeding, I just cut myself by accident by cutting some velcro for the pedal lol) but it's not gainy enough, I happen to like having my big muff on, sounds like my gain's up to 31...
I tried scooping the mids and I actually liked the sound, but there was no way I could play any chord over that lol, what's in control of the presence, is it the middle section of the EQs ?

what kind of music do you play?
also, its debateable but the big fuzz is more of a fuzz imo.
Holy double post, Batman!

Yeah, I know SG, but still, I HATE that fact

And as far as the clarity goes, you could try boosting the mids, and definitely backing off on the gain on your amp/Muff. That should help quite a bit
--

--
dont know what else to tell you. you just need to fiddle with the frequencies. also an OD pedal in front of the amp can help clean up muddiness.
Quote by sg622
dont know what else to tell you. you just need to fiddle with the frequencies. also an OD pedal in front of the amp can help clean up muddiness.

That would also work. But I think backing off on the gain and boosting the mids would help more...
--

--
I'd say it has something to do with the muff, I wouldn't say they were meant to sound real defined. I think of a messy sound when I think of a big muff.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I tried it in front of the amp and I like it better in the loop
I managed to get it a bit more clear, i lowered the 65.5 by 2db and raised the higher frequencies to 3-6-3-6 at the 1-2-4-8 db sections, it sounds a bit too trebly but I'm on the right track =)

side question while we're at it, I'm using all my pedals on a pedalboard and it'd be very complicated to just switch everything around just to try it so I'd just like to know something else
My crybaby doesn't wah so much when it's before my big muff, and it becomes a volume pedal after the muff, so I was wondering , how would it sound in the efx loop say after the EQ ?

Edit: (and by the way my gain on the muff is at 12o' clock, it's not that high, but whatever =p)
I'm quite happy I bought this little toy, I never thought it would make that much of a difference to my tone
Last edited by Darkflame at Jan 29, 2009,