Ok so here is the deal guys, by the way this is my first thread, and just joined ultimate guitar .com for this reason, so im going to look at what you guys have to say and your advice. I am the lead singer of my band in Ontario, pretty similar to the styles of billy talent , alexisonfire and what have you. Our solo guitarist just quit (for reasons I will never understand). I, like most lead singers, do know how to play guitar, but am primarily an acoustic guy. Since the drummer and I write most of the music for the band, we are going to take our sound in a different direction for the next cd, so that our last soloist is not missed. My style is very Tom Morelloish, more effects and fast solos and what have you.

Anyways, this is the deal, we just won a battle of the bands and received $2,000 dollars total. We agreed that now that we are keeping 4 members instead of 5, and I will take on the reigns of playing solo guitar and singing, I would keep 1000 dollars of the 2000 to spend on upgrading my guitar stuff. I rock an Epiphone Les Paul , just because of comfortability of the neck and body, despite what people may say about les pauls being rhythm guitars and not lead guitars. I wanted to spend the 1000 on setting up a completely new pedal board that would look like this :

• Digitech Whammy Wh-1
• DOD FX40b Equalizer
• Dunlop Crybaby Wah
• BOSS DD-2 Digital D (dd3)
• BOSS TR-2 tremolo
• MXR Block Phase 90 Phaser
• Ibanez Tube Screamer
• Line 6 Delay Mogelator
• Boss Bass Chorus
• Digital Delay Reverb Pedal

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of this set up, what order you guys would put these in, what you would take out, and possibly add, to get the most for 1000 dollars. Again, this is the Tom Morello set up, with a couple of extras. I think I can make good use of this set up with my solos in more a post hardcore / progressive rock / alternative sound. Let me know what you guys would do with the 1000 on a pedal board!

Hope you guys can help!
the pedal board looks good but............what is your amp??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Tell us your amp first, it's kind of a big part of your sound.

Do you really need 2 delays? Tom only uses 1 and unless you want to get really crazy/freaky/experimental you won't really need 2. Given between the 2 you have in your list I'd take either the Line 6 Delay Modeler or the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.

Why a bass chorus...?

My recommendation on overdrive depends on what kind of amp you're playing through and how much gain it has. If it's a fairly low gain amp, I'd say get a tube driven overdrive pedal. If your amp has more gain then a TS808 would do fine. It's a little different from a TS9, but it's worth it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

A Digitech WH-1 goes for about $600 on eBay; that would kill your budget dead. Just get a 4 instead.

Also, Tom Morello's setup is alot less complex than that - I believe he only has a delay, phaser, whammy and wah for a pedal board.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-nF8jG3Hc

Tom runs through his setup for Audioslave in there near the beginnning. It's a little more than delay, phaser, whammy, and wah but it's not very complex.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

^
New amp>pedals
if you're using all those pedals on an MG then it would sound like crap.
feel free to add me
Quote by Raijouta
A Digitech WH-1 goes for about $600 on eBay; that would kill your budget dead. Just get a 4 instead.

Also, Tom Morello's setup is alot less complex than that - I believe he only has a delay, phaser, whammy and wah for a pedal board.

how much is the 4? i want to get a lot of the pedals so that i have a lot of options when we go and write the new music. i write a lot of the music on my computer that is set up to a sound board and music record software, so a lot of the sounds we create have to imitated on guitar
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^
New amp>pedals
if you're using all those pedals on an MG then it would sound like crap.

what do you recommend then? i see you rock the les paul too, great guitar man. i have the studio
Quote by VoodooCow229
Tell us your amp first, it's kind of a big part of your sound.

Do you really need 2 delays? Tom only uses 1 and unless you want to get really crazy/freaky/experimental you won't really need 2. Given between the 2 you have in your list I'd take either the Line 6 Delay Modeler or the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.

Why a bass chorus...?

My recommendation on overdrive depends on what kind of amp you're playing through and how much gain it has. If it's a fairly low gain amp, I'd say get a tube driven overdrive pedal. If your amp has more gain then a TS808 would do fine. It's a little different from a TS9, but it's worth it.

so if you were me , what would your pedal board look like in a list?
Quote by EpiJet21
what do you recommend then? i see you rock the les paul too, great guitar man. i have the studio

well you could im prove your tone by doing these steps
1: buy a new amp, a Peavey XXX maybe??
2: change PUPS, the studios are good but the pickups just suck
3: buy a EQ first to shape your tone, then buy the other pedals
feel free to add me
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Just get a decent amp.... add delay and chorus.. good to go.

what kind of chorus? BOSS?
Maybe this is my ignorance rearing it's ugly head so to speak, but why not just buy a nice multi effect? Are they for some reason inferior to single components? Plus its only one thing to carry around.(I mean you can carry all your pedals too, but eh?)

Sorry but I thought I should speak up?
Though I have listened to the BOSS TU2 Tremolo and it sounds great!!
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Last edited by Butters8754 at Jan 29, 2009,
/\/\ The reason to have stomp boxes instead of multi-effects is the ability to shape your sound easier, you can choose exactly what distortion pedal you want instead of what's in the multi-FX. Also the Multi-FX usually just model stomp boxes, which would you rather have, the real thing or a digital model of the real thing? It's all personal, but I think that stomp boxes are a lot better.

TS, I'd buy a new amp with that cash, even if it uses it all up... look used and you'll probably find an amp that won't take your entire budget.

As for chorus you could just use the Whammy's (assuming you get one) detune function and it'd give you a chorus effect. If you're opposed to that take a look at Pro Guitar Shop for a good list of pedals.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=20
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by EpiJet21
what kind of chorus? BOSS?

Not sure.. depends on how much you want to spend on it I suppose but since you have a limited budget I would look for used on HCAF. Boss should be good. My dad just bought a CE-2 off ebay that is from the early 80s and is getting a Monte Allums mod kit for it. I'm guess that would be a good choice. The Digitech HARDWIRE line is excellent. I have the DL8 and it's worth every penny IMO ($132 used).

But honesly, start out with a good amp and worry about the effect afterward... you can get by with a good amp with a nice on-board reverb.

Edit: I re-read your original post and saw your style is very effects oriented.. so just find yourself a nice used tube amp with a good clean channel and buy a few of the essential effects you use and try to buy them right the first time. 40W tube should be plenty.

Hmm.. I'm getting excited finding you the right gear now haha... I bet you could get a quick few bucks for that MG you got there. Perhaps you should look at the amp I've got. It's got great clean and overdrive tones, two effects loops, switchable before 15 and 50 watts. Super value. I've had it a year now and there is nothing I'd trade it for save a Peters Dual Channel Gryphon but we're looking at 3x the price there.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Jan 30, 2009,
Hmm.. I'm getting excited finding you the right gear now haha... I bet you could get a quick few bucks for that MG you got there. Perhaps you should look at the amp I've got. It's got great clean and overdrive tones, two effects loops, switchable before 15 and 50 watts. Super value. I've had it a year now and there is nothing I'd trade it for save a Peters Dual Channel Gryphon but we're looking at 3x the price there.

yeah im just starting to get used to all the options with the electrics, the effects and amp world is endless....e verything just ties into together, so i really just want to get a nice stomp box set up with a sick amp so im ready to go when we start playing bigger shoes. what kind of amp set up do u have ? i was thinking of just putting together a head/cab combo and getting rid of the MG
Quote by Hesh_09
/\/\ The reason to have stomp boxes instead of multi-effects is the ability to shape your sound easier, you can choose exactly what distortion pedal you want instead of what's in the multi-FX. Also the Multi-FX usually just model stomp boxes, which would you rather have, the real thing or a digital model of the real thing? It's all personal, but I think that stomp boxes are a lot better.

TS, I'd buy a new amp with that cash, even if it uses it all up... look used and you'll probably find an amp that won't take your entire budget.

As for chorus you could just use the Whammy's (assuming you get one) detune function and it'd give you a chorus effect. If you're opposed to that take a look at Pro Guitar Shop for a good list of pedals.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=20

Good point,
Thanks for the information. That does make sense about being able to choose the sound you want vs. being stuck with default ones.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
New amp for sure.
I'm not quite sure what Morello uses, but I'm sure with $1000 you could get something fairly close.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Do NOT buy that amp. You will regret it and your band will hate you for it! Well, maybe they won't hate you, but if you are as good as you appear to be winning battles and stuff. Buy a good amp and like maybe 3 pedals. For amps check out your local craigslist and ebay. Look for amps such as Mesa F series, DC series, Traynors, Peavey XXX or JSX, Randall RG50TC....hmmm....these all more on the end of the higher gain spectrum, but they can cover your stuff.

As for effects, check out the Boss DD-3,6 or 7 for delay. The Boss chorus's aren't too bad, but I like my EHX Small Clone. And just grab a used Whammy. You don't need the first series. Or instead of a chorus check out a phaser. MXR phase 90 is one of the standards as well as the EHX small stone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals