So I went to a show last night, and there was this band who just started playing about a month ago, and one of the guys was using a Strat with its single coil pickups hooked up to his Orange amp.

One of my friends was explaining to me that, the orange amp plus the single coil pickups isnt a good match, for w/e reason, and that you need to install some humbuckers to get the right sound out of it. (I think he said it has something to do with the distortion the orange produces?) as you can tell, im not the knowledgeable with gear.

So I brought that up that idea to another friend at the show, and he said that is totally not true. Didn't give an explanation, he just said "Hes full of crap and dosent know what hes talking about"

So, whose right and whose wrong?
Oranges sound great with single coils. I don't get what your friend's deal is. You heard the setup, judge for yourself.
The guy who thinks playing single-coils into an Orange amp is full of crap..."and doesn't know what he's talking about"
Quote by PhR33k
So I went to a show last night, and there was this band who just started playing about a month ago, and one of the guys was using a Strat with its single coil pickups hooked up to his Orange amp.

One of my friends was explaining to me that, the orange amp plus the single coil pickups isnt a good match, for w/e reason, and that you need to install some humbuckers to get the right sound out of it. (I think he said it has something to do with the distortion the orange produces?) as you can tell, im not the knowledgeable with gear.

So I brought that up that idea to another friend at the show, and he said that is totally not true. Didn't give an explanation, he just said "Hes full of crap and dosent know what hes talking about"

Quote by PhR33k

Your first friend was only mostly full of crap.

It is much easier to sound terrible on the treble side with single coils--a bad EQ can make an amp slice through your ear drums. Humbuckers tend to be less trebley.

But I would say that Fender amps will hurt more then Orange amps with a treble-heavy EQ, as they are naturally very bright.
what you other friend said....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The first friend was the moron.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
They sound sooooo good with single coils, if not better. Really warm sound with the rockerverb, would sound good for alternative rock sorta stuff IMO.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Don't hang out with that first kid anymore....

Just kidding. But yea, pretty much what everyone else here said. Opinions, playing styles, EQing, bright guitar+dark amp, judge for yourself....it is all true. It really is!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
He is very much full of crap. Almost anything with tubes sounds good regardless of guitar, Orange's sound just as good with a strat as a Les Paul.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
It may be that your friend prefers the sound of an overdriven orange with a bucker guitar, its all subjective.

If he said that it is imperatively crap with singles hes a moron, but if he said he doesnt like oranges and single coils personally then thats his call
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
It would sound awesome through an orange.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Ah, so you have one of those friends that thinks he knows what he's talking about too?

E-High Five dude!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray