How do I make my sound more clear and distinctive and less muddy. When at bedroom levels it sounds great but when I get up to jammable volumes I start to loose a little clarity when playing single note riffs. It's not like super muddy, but it becomes a bit noisy and a tad difficult to identify notes.

What would be the best investment for me. I'm looking at:

boss ns-2 or other noise suppressor

mxr ten band eq

new pickups?

some kind of comressor/sustainer

sonic maximizer?

Which investment would be the best for helping me get a more distinct and less noisy/muddy tone.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
compression/sustainer may help but i find to put the volume knob on your guitar on 7 or so helps. when the volume is maxed out, its a little more muddy. idk hope that helps some
A noise gate will eliminate the hum that you hear when you're not playing, so I don't think it would improve muddiness
The compressor will keep your volume stable, no matter how hard you play the volume will always be the same, so once again I don't think it would help so much for sound clarity
I guess I'd say an MXR EQ, I bought one about 3 hours ago and I can see a lot of evolution in my quest for unmudiness, my clean tones sound way more distinct and I'm working on my distortion ones.
I think your pickups are good enough, knowing the fender fat strat is a good guitar..

I might be wrong though, I'm still on the path of aspiring knowledge, and if I'm wrong I'll be happy to learn more ! (that was because I don't want to get flamed)
EQ pedal would be your best bet.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Your question cant be resolved by adding expensive pedals for your setup.

In fact you dont even have to spend a dime, the best way to clean up your sound and make it less muddy is to elevate your amp off the ground or tilt it back against the wall. I would reccomend a 20 dollar amp stand, this solved all of my problems as far as muddiness goes, because if you are playing with your amp on the floor(espescially on a carpet), the bottom end will end up resonating with the ground and dampen your sound, not to mention all of the sound is aimed torward your feet.

Try it out(unless you already are).

If thats the case, i would change the speaker in your classic 30, or a combination of both my advices.
maybe a little retube? i believe the tungsol/jj combo works well with the classic 30.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Play with your amp EQ. A setting that works for bedroom volumes certainly won't sound good at jamming volumes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Alright I guess I'm gonna try out the mxr eq first and maybe shop around for an amp stand. I don't wanna get a tube change just yet. And so noise supressors/gates don't do anything when you are playing?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by UnsignedRecords
maybe a little retube? i believe the tungsol/jj combo works well with the classic 30.

That is all I can think of too. Other than that, you'll have to move up to a more powerful amp. It seems you are running out of headroom at practice levels.
AL
Quote by thsrayas
EQ pedal would be your best bet.

+1

The MXR is great and you can clean your sound up quite a bit with it. I also use an ISP Decimator. It makes your sound more articulate and gets rid of a lot of noise from your setup. If you got the cash, I'd get the ISP Decimator G-string. It will eliminate noise from your guitar/signal path as well as your amp. I wish I would have spent the extra dough on one to begin with instead of the regular Decimator...because now I wish I had it
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jan 30, 2009,
So a noise gate/supressor would work?

And just to clarify, My clean channel is fine, it's mainly the od channel, when boosted with the ibanez, that starts to get a bit muddy.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
How do I make my sound more clear and distinctive and less muddy. When at bedroom levels it sounds great but when I get up to jammable volumes I start to loose a little clarity when playing single note riffs. It's not like super muddy, but it becomes a bit noisy and a tad difficult to identify notes.

What would be the best investment for me. I'm looking at:

boss ns-2 or other noise suppressor

mxr ten band eq

new pickups?

some kind of comressor/sustainer

sonic maximizer?

Which investment would be the best for helping me get a more distinct and less noisy/muddy tone.

If you get a noise suppressor, I'd look into the iSP Decimator. That said, you probably don't need one with a Classic 30.

I have the MXR EQ and love it. Great investment, worth every penny.

A SD SH-2N in the neck will have more clarity, if you're using humbuckers.

I've heard good things about the DynaComp and the Keeley Compressor, but I've never tried either.

Never tried it.

This is going to probably sound stupid, but have you tried tweaking your amp/guitar's tone?
I have tried tweaking the tone when my volume was up, it's most likely that the tubescreamer is causing the problems as the amp stays pretty clear on it's own, would a noise gate/suppressor before or after the tubescreamer help?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
I have tried tweaking the tone when my volume was up, it's most likely that the tubescreamer is causing the problems as the amp stays pretty clear on it's own, would a noise gate/suppressor before or after the tubescreamer help?

If you think that the tubescreamer is causing the problem, the noise suppressor and/or EQ would work best after them in the signal path. This is the way most people set up their chains.
I'll second the amp stand idea. My little Yale blasts 50w but sounds hopeless when its used as a foot cooler. Tilting it back on a wooden chair made a huge difference. And my mate had a MusicMan Twin Reverb back before amp stands were available so he carried a folding chair around.
Put more mids and highs into your sound at higher volumes, then use that tone for practice too.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Try tweeking the amp and the tube screamer before you start to spend money. You may find you have too much gain when you are playing at jamming levels. I always thought the classic 30 was a more vintaged voiced amp. You may get a good metal tone when the volume is low by pushing the pre amp with the screamer but as the power tubes start to break up and distort as you raise the volume the distortion just get out of control.
Some Options:

Move to a different room

Cut the mids and/or the bass (Tubescreamer increases the midrange a bit when engaged)

Get a hi-gain distortion pedal (Crunch Box, Analogman DS-1, Retro-Sonic Distortion, Metal Muff) to replace your Tubescreamer

Send the amp in for repair, re-biasing, check all the caps, yadda, yadda

Get a Noise Suppressor
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Ohh what about getting a 2x12 or 4x12 cab?? Would this help retain clarity?

Sorry if it seem like I'm not listening to any of your previous suggestions, because I am listening and they are all very helpful, it's just that I'd like to see how many options I have.
Thanks Again
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Feb 1, 2009,