ive been taking lessons ever since i started playing guitar. im starting to get ****** because my instructor is making me play the same stuff over and over again. im pretty good but i still have to learn alot. i heard alot of people progressed lots faster without taking lessons. is this true?
No. They progress slower and still have to practice 2 times as much.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
No. The only people who do well alone have the drive of a Saint and are destined to become the next great guitarist, or they are a ****head to bitchy to take lessons.
Well, it differs between people. I didn't start taking lessons until about a year and a half into playing, so I already could alternate pick, sweep, etc. I took lessons only for the theory and music reading, since I already learned the technique.

But if you got lessons as soon as you started playing, or you need one on ones in learning technique then that's the best way.

I think anyone can learn technique without a teacher but in my opinion learning theory and learning to read music are a milllion times easier when you do have a teacher.
Well I'm a selftaught guitarist, never had a lesson and I progressed allot faster than some guys I know who took lessons (their words, not mine). The thing about teaching yourself though is you have to be seriously dedicated. For my first year of playing I practised 10 hours a day on average, sometimes a little more and some times a little less but never less than 6. Taking lessons is useful because that way you have someone who already has all the experience and can guide you through, but the plus side of self-teaching is that you develop your own style of playing and way of playing rather than learning someone else's. There are pros and cons to both sides but ultimately it just comes down to what you are willing to do.
As for me, I've been playing for just over 4 years now and believe I'm making good progress, I can't sweep yet but that is only because I have never really been interested in learning it, I only just thought of learning it just so that I CAN do it though will probably hardly use it.
If you are willing to practice for hour after hour after hour after endless hour every day, get really frustrated all the time that you can't play something or don't understand something but can stick with it until you get good, by all means go for teaching yourself, many people have done it/do it. Otherwise, stick with lessons.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at Jan 29, 2009,
I've been learning on my own the past 10 months now and I'm doing just fine. I can't solo well but I know quite a bit of things
Quote by atr5557
ive been taking lessons ever since i started playing guitar. im starting to get ****** because my instructor is making me play the same stuff over and over again. im pretty good but i still have to learn alot. i heard alot of people progressed lots faster without taking lessons. is this true?

What kind of logic is that?

If you don't have an instructor... that's not going to help you in anyway. Might not hurt depending on the situation... but it certainly won't help.

Just because you are taking lessons doesn't mean you are limited to what your instructor tells you to do! Learn additional material on the side if your sick of playing the same thing over and over. It's good to have a couple of different sources of information for some things (like technique) because there are more than a few opinions out there on what works best.
Last edited by Post?Organic at Jan 29, 2009,
Self-learning is never going to be easy and you're going to struggle a lot at the start.
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Well I'm a selftaught guitarist, never had a lesson and I progressed allot faster than some guys I know who took lessons (their words, not mine). The thing about teaching yourself though is you have to be seriously dedicated. For my first year of playing I practised 10 hours a day on average, sometimes a little more and some times a little less but never less than 6. Taking lessons is useful because that way you have someone who already has all the experience and can guide you through, but the plus side of self-teaching is that you develop your own style of playing and way of playing rather than learning someone else's. There are pros and cons to both sides but ultimately it just comes down to what you are willing to do.
As for me, I've been playing for just over 4 years now and believe I'm making good progress, I can't sweep yet but that is only because I have never really been interested in learning it, I only just thought of learning it just so that I CAN do it though will probably hardly use it.
If you are willing to practice for hour after hour after hour after endless hour every day, get really frustrated all the time that you can't play something or don't understand something but can stick with it until you get good, by all means go for teaching yourself, many people have done it/do it. Otherwise, stick with lessons.

LOL! @ you saying you practiced ten hours a day for your first year. Everyone has a big one on the internet. The only problem is that most people on here know that beginners just don't have the physical ability to practice that long without pain or injury. Silly goose... LOL!
I've just this week started to teach myself, and as has been said it takes an enormous amount of self discipline. If I wanted I'm sure I could just jump straight into difficult songs (Muse, Metallica etc) but I'm trying to force myself to learn the grounding. I think the main problem with teaching yourself is the lack of direction - with a teacher you at least have someone guiding you in what you are capable of, with self taught I'm relying a lot on fairly basic knowledge and a couple of websites to keep me going (justinguitar.com being the most useful at the moment).

In the end it is up to you - do you think you've got the drive and determination to teach yourself? As an aside, could you not speak to your teacher and see if you can practice music that you want to learn rather than what he wants to teach?
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
It's not true that you need more drive to teach yourself. Your teacher will advise you on the best way to go. Think of having a permanent, real life version of UG that can help with all your problems. You'll still have to practice as much to get anywhere, just a teacher will stop you 'fumbling about in the dark' by giving you sound advice before you develop bad habits.
I have never taken any lessons and I would say I am pretty far along for someone who has only been playing for 10 months. This site and youtube have been my ways of learning things, and I am doing just fine.
I used to practice 8 hours a day when I first started, that's because I really wanted to get the basics down (open chords, basic rhythm guitar and the like) now it's just 3-4 hours of playing and practicing at random moments whenever I feel like it.

For example today I sat here with a metronome clicking around 92bpm while I did the triplet gallop rhythm on open strings for over an hour while reading UG lol
I've been teaching myself technique, and theory through lessons
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
I think that having a teacher helps alot. But it is not essential. I've been playing for 2 years, and now I'm in a pretty serious band. When I started out I took a lesson once a week but now I take a lesson about once a month. My teacher really helped me get started, but I have picked up a lot of things by myself. I think is also depends on the teacher. Some teachers are definitely better than others. Some can really get you on the right path and going when you need to be, while others can just confuse you and mess you up, because some teachers while being good players don't really know how to teach. But all in all I think having a teacher is useful, at least for starting out. So that you are really grounded in the basics.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.