Hey guys, I have a fairly specific question and the sheer number of options I have found so far is daunting:

I have a great new Jackson SL2H and I need an amp that will give me some great versatile metal tones and won't let the Jackson go to waste. I don't play in a band and I basically need a practice amp.

I live in an apartment, which means I don't have much room and I can't really crank up the volume...most of the time I will be using headphones. I would also like the possibility of making some recordings on my computer so I can jam with myself, etc.

I have heard and read a lot about the Line 6 stuff and my current thoughts are to get a Spider iii or POD Studio and do all my amplification/effects via software. So:

do you all recommend the POD Studio route, or would you recommend an actual amp, like a Marshall TSL or a Spider iii and simpler (less expensive) computer recording software?

Cost is a secondary consideration, so advise away...but I would like to stay away from $600 software suites that should probably be used by more accomplished artists.
POD XT Live + Valve Junior head/cab Version 3. Great low volume setup with good tone. You also have alot of upgrade options from there. Mod the Vj or tube change (or both) add pedals as you like. I think this is more versatile and sounds better then any modeling or ss amp. Once you get your patches set you don't have to constantly tweak tone playing between different styles of music.

edit: Sorry Dude Somehow missed the software part. disregard
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jan 30, 2009,
No worries. I am truly a bit lost will the sheer number of options out there, so any good advice is really appreciated. I think the POD XT Live looks pretty interesting. You suggest outputting to the Valve Junior, but I suppose there is a way to output to a software recorder...?

All suggestions appreciated. Keep em coming!
Forget an amp, it's just not needed so save your money. The multi fx units you're looking at will all connect to headphones and quite honestly, you'll get the best sound reproduction that way anyway. If that will be the way you use it, why have an amp? I use my GNX3000 in exactly the same way and it's perfect for home practice and recording to the computer.

I'd strongly suggest looking at the Digitech RP range. The new RP1000 is only $500 and that will do everything you could possibly want and more. There are of course cheaper versions too like the RP500. The amp models are very good and computer interface is superb. The X-Edit software that comes with it means patches can be created VERY easily on the computer and I think it comes with recording software too. This really is very good indeed and sounds a lot less digital than anything by Line 6.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Forget an amp, it's just not needed so save your money. The multi fx units you're looking at will all connect to headphones and quite honestly, you'll get the best sound reproduction that way anyway. If that will be the way you use it, why have an amp? I use my GNX3000 in exactly the same way and it's perfect for home practice and recording to the computer.

I'd strongly suggest looking at the Digitech RP range. The new RP1000 is only $500 and that will do everything you could possibly want and more. There are of course cheaper versions too like the RP500. The amp models are very good and computer interface is superb. The X-Edit software that comes with it means patches can be created VERY easily on the computer and I think it comes with recording software too. This really is very good indeed and sounds a lot less digital than anything by Line 6.

That's some damned good feedback. And no, there is no specific reason I would want a bona fide amp. Maybe eventually when my solos are good enough to impress my buds...but until then I feel fine working though my computer. My chief concern is just getting good sound. If I can do it without a physical tube amp - which I get the impression most serious players cream over - it's all the same to me.

Any other choices I should consider?
Awesome. I think I'm going to go with a workstation. I'll read up and decide on either the Digitech or the Line 6 Live. Those things sound close to what I'm looking for!
Stay away from software amp (synth) plug-ins. They are expensive and you need a DI box or high end sound-card and a fast computer for latency issues when monitoring them in real time.

Go with a multi-fx and spend some dough on a pair of near field monitors (not computer speakers).
Last edited by 667 at Jan 30, 2009,
Digitech Workstations usually refer to the GNX models and they are very good but the GNX3000 was the most versatile and they don't make that any more. Buying new now I'd get either the RP1000 or RP500 as both are excellent. The new RP1000 looks incredible and I would imagine it will take you years to outgrow it, if indeed you ever do. That's certainly the one I'd get if I had that much money to spend but if you want an alternative, try looking at a Vox Tonelab LE. These have the most authentically tube-like amp models but the effects are far more limited and it doesn't do such high gain sounds. Overall the Digitech is a far better package in my opinion but I guess it's personal preference. You can also buy the Supermodels disc for the Digitech and that gives you loads of really high quality patches. I have it and it's well worth the investment.

My only other suggestion would be the Boss GT-10. I don't think the amp models are anything like as good as the Digitech but the effects are excellent. In this area Boss always had the edge over the competition but I suspect that the RP1000 has rectified that. I'd still go with the Digitech but they're all better than the Line 6. I was really disappointed when I tried that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I have a pod xt live and i use it through small computer speakers and its good but not the best i want to change it. maybe the problem is my speakers cos pod xt live should be a good processor. havent tried digitech hope some comments here will help me too... ( and if i was going buy anything now it would probably be toneport a pod xt live with no pedals and nearly same features to me but still havent tried the digitech stuff )
Quote by 667
Stay away from software amp (synth) plug-ins. They are expensive and you need a DI box or high end sound-card and a fast computer for latency issues when monitoring them in real time.

Go with a multi-fx and spend some dough on a pair of near field monitors (not computer speakers).

So, when you say 'multi-fx' I guess you are talking about something like the Digitech RP series? Again...there are so many damned features I'll just ask: what are the main differences between the RP series "multi-effect processors" and the "workstations" like this one? http://www.digitech.com/products/Guitar_Workstation/GNX3000.php

I notice the RPs brag about a USB interface. Would recording to a computer be harder with a workstation, or does it allow that kind of thing just as easily?

Sorry I have so many questions, but you guys know a LOT more about this than me.
I'm not positive about this but when you record through USB I don't think that you can hear the guitar through the computer speakers. So you would need to run the audio output on the multiFX into the line in on your sound card to monitor. MultiFX into computer speakers or home stereo sound great, and are good for an apartment.
Quote by axxchor
So, when you say 'multi-fx' I guess you are talking about something like the Digitech RP series? Again...there are so many damned features I'll just ask: what are the main differences between the RP series "multi-effect processors" and the "workstations" like this one? http://www.digitech.com/products/Guitar_Workstation/GNX3000.php

I notice the RPs brag about a USB interface. Would recording to a computer be harder with a workstation, or does it allow that kind of thing just as easily?

Sorry I have so many questions, but you guys know a LOT more about this than me.

Yea, multi-fx like the RP series.

The workstations have more amp models and effects. They also have more options for signal I/O.
Quote by fly135
I'm not positive about this but when you record through USB I don't think that you can hear the guitar through the computer speakers. So you would need to run the audio output on the multiFX into the line in on your sound card to monitor. MultiFX into computer speakers or home stereo sound great, and are good for an apartment.

That's if you use software plug-ins instead of an amp or modeler. Input limitations and latency issues on some low end setups make is impossible to hear the "wet" signal with the effects applied in real time while you are recording. Only after you record - when you playing back the track do you hear the effects applied.

With at DI or MIDI box, fast computer and a quality DAW, this usually is not an issue.

The signal going into the computer out of a multi-fx already has the effects applied to the signal, so that's what you will hear as you are recording.
Great info so far, guys.

In case someone like me (searching the forums for 'software' and 'workstation') will find this link helpful. Is is a comparison of the Digitech multi-effects/workstation products:

http://guitarlogic.org/index.php?page=9

I think a 'workstation' type thing is what I am looking for. Now it's all a matter of finding the right one for my needs.
If you want metal tones the Zoom G7 and G9 definitely have the best metal distortions for multi-fx pedals.
Peavey Vypyr 15. It is a great amp and it comes with free Peavey recording software.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.