with electric guitar im only learned my first solo is that good prgress for a year or is there more i should know
thats pretty good, have you thought about learning chords and stuff? do you know how to play the rhythm to any songs?
Yeah, what solo?
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
I dunno dude... I've really only been playing a year, and I've learned mutiple Trivium solos (minus sweeping) and that kind of stuff. I think what you listen to has a big influence on how fast you progress though. What stuff do you play?
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
iron man lolz both of em, i can play rytm and knwo most open chords f e eminor d sus 4 d sus 2 c add 9 c and etc. solos are just hard getting into
Quote by ktyler789
with electric guitar im only learned my first solo is that good prgress for a year or is there more i should know

A year ago I could barely play any solo, and I've been playing two years now. So I wouldn't worry, everyone learns at a different rate anyway, and you didn't tell us enough to tell you that you are slow.
I've been playinf for a year too , and I know four solo ( keep in mind that my only friend is my guitar )
but playing the iron man solo is good
I would suggest to pratice some pentatonic exercise with a metronome
after that , half of the classic rock/early metal will be a joke to play
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
learn rhythm and all the basic techniques. learning solos straight off the bat isn't going to make you good. even lead guitarists have to play along with the rhythm most of the time. and chances are if you just started playing and immediately went for solos without learning anything else at all, then you're not gonna know what most of the techniques in soloing are and you'll be doing them wrong.

EDIT: do what the guy above me said too, chords and scales and such. teach yourself how to tune by ear. stuff like that comes in handy more.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by mazohysthoney at Jan 30, 2009,
Dude Paul Gilbert ONLY played with upstrokes in his first couple of years of learning guitar.

Just have fun. Explore your guitar and play what you want.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Everyone progresses at different speeds. You're progressing well only if you're having fun doing it.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by RocknRollRay
Dude Paul Gilbert ONLY played with upstrokes in his first couple of years of learning guitar.

Just have fun. Explore your guitar and play what you want.

I just tried that.

?????? It doesn't work
Yea verses and rythm is easy and i knwo the entire pentatonic and ive done some basic blues improv over a 12 bar progression so im getting there
Quote by blind.quardian
Well ive been playing for a year now and i can %90 play silent night bodom night sweeps

You must be so proud of yourself.

Go make your own topic about this, don't try to brag in someone elses.

Also, L2ENGLISH
Everyone progresses at a different rate. What matters is that you accomplish what you set out to do. For me, after like 9 months or so of playing guitar, I have somewhat accomplished my goal which is to be able to jam with this friend of mine and sound reasonably good.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
ive been playing for like 6 years and only know like 4 solos. i just enjoy playing and writing rhythm so much more. its not a measurement of your talent to learn one solo, its up to you, are you proud of yourself? thats all that matters. i know my friends who have been playing as long as me who can play songs from symphony x (impossible) and some friends who can barely strum a chord after 6 years. just keep with it and youll enjoy it.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Quote by Scopic
You must be so proud of yourself.

Go make your own topic about this, don't try to brag in someone elses.

Also, L2ENGLISH

well i sounded like a noob kid for sure but he just wanted to know if his progress was ok and i told what i could do.

also i dont have to speak english like its my mother language. im not english or american...