Can someone please help me figure out the notes In the A flat pentatonic blues scale? Thanks
Slash
Support our troops
Ok, minor scale remember: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
to get minor pentatonic scale: 1 b3 4 5 b7
and then we add the tritone/augmented 4th/diminished 5th.
so in Ab:
Ab Cb Db D Eb Gb
Last edited by leeroy909 at Jan 29, 2009,
Thanks for your reply. Im pretty confused when it comes to theory so please bare with me.
#1 does a flat note= a minor scale?
#2I thought that the notes in a pentatonic scale are the 1 2 3 5 6. And to make this a blues scale you ADD the flat 3. so the scale would look like this, 1 2 3 b3 5 6
so its not truly a pentatonic scale. is this right?

Once i get the formula for a scale though im not sure how to overlap(?) it over the notes to get the order of notes for the scale or even a chord.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Slash
Support our troops
A flat note does not mean a minor scale.

I think that in major scales notes are generally noted as sharps instead of their enharmonic flats.

I'll just wait for that guy with the Christmas smiley to correct me.
Ok but im confused as to why leeroy is talking about minor pentatonics.
Im looking for the notes in the ab pentatonic blues scale.
Slash
Support our troops
Last edited by fm212r at Jan 30, 2009,
What do you mean by pentatonic blues scale? There are many things called the blues scale (see sig).

The most common set of notes called the "blues scale" is the minor pentatonic with an added diminished 5th (augmented 4th), which is what leeroy was talking about (he's correct with Ab Cb Db D Eb Gb). A little pearl of wisdom though, you should use G# minor instead of Ab minor to keep things simple (conversely use Ab major instead of G# major); you won't get silly things like Cb's that way. With this it is G# B C# D D#.

This is not, of course, a pentatonic scale, given that it has six notes. But to be honest, I think of it as equivalent to the minor pentatonic in every way; you can use one whenever you can use the other.

You confuse me with your reference to flat 3rds though. The minor pentatonic already has a flat 3rd. You often add the major 3rd to the minor pentatonic over bluesy progressions (which is why I'm not sure what you mean by the blues scale). This usually comes about through bending the minor third upwards though, which is why I do not consider it outside of the scale (it's like an incomplete bend to the 4th - in much the same way as that diminished 5th is an incomplete bend up to the 5th).
Im trying to find the Ab pentatonic scale. which is not a minor scale correct? and the notes in the normal pentatonic scale are 1 2 3 5 6 correct? now im trying to add the b3 to add a more bluesy color like slash. My guitar teacher wants me to figure out the notes in this scale for our next lesson. He is calling this the ab pentatonic blues scale. so with this (asuming its correct) how do i figure out the notes in the scale with these numbers. How do i overlap the numbers with the notes on the guitar to figure out what notes in the scale.
so what i think i would do is
1 2 3 5 6
ab b c d e

sorry if that doesnt really make sense im awful at explaining myself. Thanks for your help.
Slash
Support our troops
Last edited by fm212r at Jan 30, 2009,
^ Yes, it's the major pentatonic and those are the correct notes. You've lost me with this major blues scale though.