So I've been playing for less then a year now and I'm playing on a Breedlove AD20/SR plus and I'm beginning to think this was a terrible money sink for a starting guitar. For one I've been told the strings are incredibly high which I have no idea what to do about that. And the second issue I have is strumming in general. I'm unsure if it's the way I'm hold the pick or what but I pretty much fail at strumming. Whenever I try to play a song I kind of get stuck on the strumming part pretty quickly and it falls apart there. Does anyone here have any advice they could give me?
if they are and you have to push down your fingers really hard to play then you need to lower your action by taking out the bridge and sanding it down
about strumming you usually want to keep a steady rhythm with your hand going up and down and then while keeping that steady strumming motion only play the strings when you want or need to so itll look like your strumming away when your not really hitting the strings every time. sorry if that sounds confusing
Breedloves are great guitars, and the problem is like said above, the action is too high on the guitar. Take your guitar in to a shop and get someone to lower it for you, just because it's pretty risky if you have never done it before.

The strumming just takes practice.
Quote by qwertyuiop8642
if they are and you have to push down your fingers really hard to play then you need to lower your action by taking out the saddle and sanding it down
about strumming you usually want to keep a steady rhythm with your hand going up and down and then while keeping that steady strumming motion only play the strings when you want or need to so itll look like your strumming away when your not really hitting the strings every time. sorry if that sounds confusing

Fixed.

Your Breedlove is actually a pretty good guitar. All you need to do is get the action lowered. Take it into a shop and you'll be good.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
So does anyone know of a site I can go to that would give great instructions on the proper way for picking and strumming? I've been getting frustrated with my pick and just playing with my thumb lately.
Quote by Silverstein14
Breedloves are great guitars, and the problem is like said above, the action is too high on the guitar. Take your guitar in to a shop and get someone to lower it for you, just because it's pretty risky if you have never done it before.

The strumming just takes practice.

As soon as I read this thread, my first thought was "Oh crap. This guy had better pray Silverstein doesn't read this thread."

Anyway, TS, getting your guitar properly set up will help loads.

As far as strumming goes, it's really a rhythm thing. One thing I would do to help you get better at it is use your elbow as a metronome. What does that mean? Well, instead of only moving your arm to strum, contantly be making the strumming motion even if you aren't hitting the strings. This will keep you on the beat and help you keep a good, steady rhythm.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That's a pretty damn good guitar to start with. I don't think it's really that the action is too high but more so that you just started playing. Finger strength might be > lowering the action on this issue.