Hey guys. My band is looking to finally do some recording now, but we're not exactly wanting to spend money on a studio unless it's completely necessary. One of our members was looking online and he saw the product called the Zoom H2. It's a mini-recorder that has 360 degrees of recording by microphone.

I'm really not digging the fact that it has to record everything at one time, and not as separate tracks.

On the other hand, I saw this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-MR8-8-Track-Digital-Recorder/dp/B0002D0IM0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1233283503&sr=1-13

It seems (at least to me, for the price) like a much more stable device to do home recordings on, being that we play very loud so it will be much easier to mix separate tracks.

So, my question is, what would be the better choice in your opinions? Or, do any of you know of any better products for a price $300 or less ($350 max, we really don't want to spend too much)?
get a multichannel audio interface with as many mics as you need, I suggest one with 4 simultanious imputs for drums plus the required mics. You're probably not going to get anywhere near studio quality with a full band for that much money though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i'm not too crazy about quality, as long as it doesn't sound like complete ass. any suggestions on specific recorders you're talking about? links?
Absolutly not--Go with the Fast Track Pro! its an interface. Its 250:00 and its damn well worth it- it has 2 inputs Mic/Guitar in one--Mic Pre amps phantom Power- its alot of bang for your buck seriously. thats what my band used for our demos. if you have a laptop and a good room for recording its perfect.
Quote by xMesaplayerx
Absolutly not--Go with the Fast Track Pro! its an interface. Its 250:00 and its damn well worth it- it has 2 inputs Mic/Guitar in one--Mic Pre amps phantom Power- its alot of bang for your buck seriously. thats what my band used for our demos. if you have a laptop and a good room for recording its perfect.

well, we don't really have a laptop, but we do have a computer thats pretty good :/
I'll move this into Riffs & Recording. And to be honest, a $350 budget for recording is really small. You'll need something to record onto, mics, mic stands, cables, pop filter for good vocals, etc.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
maybe he has some of the stuff like microphones and mic stands and cables.

Do you have any other band friends who you can just borrow some stuff from? this is good for a couple reasons. First you save money, second if you borrow equipment for a short time, it will make you practice before hand a lot and set a time table for the available borrowed equipment time.