Page 1 of 6
#1
I've had this thought since a while back and felt like sharing it with UG. What if humans don't have a sense that most other animals have? What if we're missing out on a whole part of life because we aren't able to percieve something that every or most other organisms can percieve? I'm sure dogs don't realize they're colorblind. They simply think this is the way things look because they have no way of knowing that humans can see color.

This could explain many things, like why animals know where to go during migration. It could even explain why humans are the only species that craves expansion, wisdom, and power.

Maybe this is a silly idea, but I would like to know what you guys think of it.
#3
well i know that dogs and other animals can actually taste water while humans can only taste the impurities.

correct me if i'm wrong i read this somewhere a long time ago.
#5
that is quite a silly idea. we all know that humans are perfect in every way. we were created by the lord almighty to form his ideal man. we are not animals, we're a work of art.
#6
We are missing out on about 95% of reality.

We aren't just missing one sense. We are missing most of them.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.


Take a trip down the Scenic River


Call me Charlie.
#9
Most of us lack common sense apparently.


EDIT: Sucks beign beaten.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
#10
This is an awesome idea.

Note on the migration thing though: most animals that migrate have magnetite in their brain which allows them to align themselves with the Earth's magnetic field.
#11
Yes, yes, YES! I agree. We've either evolved or devolved from this stuff. If we only use 10% of the brain, what the hell is the other 90% for? Its got something to do with the appendix, im positive.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
#12
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
#14
If we are, we seem to be doing alright without it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.


Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
#15
arent there a lot of animals/insects that can see in infrared? but not human beings?
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
#16
thats sort of like how if string theory is correct, there are 8 other dimensions we can't percieve.
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
#17
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If we are, we seem to be doing alright without it.

Have you taken a look at the news lately? Compare that us with animals and you'll see who's really doing alright.
#18
We'll good thing we're not using or brain for stupid things like senses. :p
No means maybe
#19
interesting.
i definitly think theres a difference in the consciousness of animals and humans...
#20
Quote by Seryaph
We are missing out on about 95% of reality.

We aren't just missing one sense. We are missing most of them.

Pretty much, there's all sorts of senses animals have that we don't. Ants can "see" and trace back trails of hormones; sharks can sense electromagnetic pulses, cats have been known to sense seismic activity before it occurs, and we of course can only see visible light frequencies, etc.
#22
wow that a cool thought. i think it possible. i liked the dog not knowing their color blind. i tell this to my friends and see what they think. thanks for sharing.
#23
Quote by RU Experienced?
Pretty much, there's all sorts of senses animals have that we don't. Ants can "see" and trace back trails of hormones; sharks can sense electromagnetic pulses, cats have been known to sense seismic activity before it occurs, and we of course can only see visible light frequencies, etc.

I'm aware of these types of senses, I guess I just wonder if we're missing out on a sense that we'll never be able to find out about, or even comprehend if we did find out about it.
#25
Quote by mr.happyman
that is quite a silly idea. we all know that humans are perfect in every way. we were created by the lord almighty to form his ideal man. we are not animals, we're a work of art.


Oh for gods sake, please tell me you aren't serious?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator



Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
#26
Some animals can see the ultraviolet parts of the spectrum, but we humans can't. There's other colors that we don't know about, that we can't even imagine.
kill all humans
#27
It's obvious that we miss things. For example, some animals can see ultraviolet lights, and birds can see magnetic fields. That's how they migrate.

Quote by thsrayas
Oh for gods sake, please tell me you aren't serious?

He isn't serious
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jan 29, 2009,
#28
Quote by thsrayas
Oh for gods sake, please tell me you aren't serious?

the earth was clearly made for man and man only. we're meant to be the top species, just look around. take a banana for example. it fits into the human hand perfectly. i don't see any fruit designed to fit into a dogs paw. it's because the planet was designed for us. bananas also have an easy open, natural packaging. it protects us from diseases and whatnot.

now that i've shown you the light, i hope that you can retract your ignorant comment and follow the Lord; if not, my prayers will be with you. God bless.
#29
We haven't evolved properly. Or we need to continue evolving.
#30
This stuff keeps me up at night, and i push really hard to try to trigger something...and I fart, laugh, and fall alseep :\
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
#31
Quote by urik
He isn't serious


Despite his post below yours, I'm going to go with you on this one. He's either a pretty good troll or a very ignorant person.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator



Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
#32
Quote by Insanitydenied
Yes, yes, YES! I agree. We've either evolved or devolved from this stuff. If we only use 10% of the brain, what the hell is the other 90% for? Its got something to do with the appendix, im positive.


Pretty sure that's false. We might use 10% at one time, but I remember that being false.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.


Click me, or I'll die.


# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
#34
Hmmm...most people don't go to the pit for "deep and profound," but what you said got me thinking alot. And when the one person said Animals taste water, Humans only taste the impurities, my mind almost exploded with the phylisophicality of that phrase.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Wait 5 hours
Be accused by the promoter of being late
Get told we have only a 10 minute set
Play pure noise for 10 minutes

Worst and most amusing gig of my life.

Anyone else had this kind of **** happen?!

Dimebag had a worse gig.
#35
Quote by Bushinarin
Pretty sure that's false. We might use 10% at one time, but I remember that being false.

That never did make sense to me. THIS GUY EVOLVED FURTHER! Seriously though, it makes sense.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
#36
Quote by Insanitydenied
Yes, yes, YES! I agree. We've either evolved or devolved from this stuff. If we only use 10% of the brain, what the hell is the other 90% for? Its got something to do with the appendix, im positive.



The other 90% of the brain is there because a brain that's only 10% the size of ours would bounce around in your head and that would hurt.....duhhhhh
You can call me Aaron.


♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
#37
Quote by Korosu
We haven't evolved properly. Or we need to continue evolving.


What would be the point of having those extra senses? Mankind has managed to rise to the top of the food chain without these senses well enough. There would be no purpose to having those extra senses.

Also, we haven't evolved in so long. Our brains allow us to create technology that makes hard tasks simple, which has taken the place of evolution for us.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
#38
Quote by Funkbass796


Also, we haven't evolved in so long. Our brains allow us to create technology that makes hard tasks simple, which has taken the place of evolution for us.


Like calculators, and spell check, and cheese graters.
You can call me Aaron.


♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
#39
Quote by biga29
Like calculators, and spell check, and cheese graters.


Exactly.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
#40
Quote by biga29

The other 90% of the brain is there because a brain that's only 10% the size of ours would bounce around in your head and that would hurt.....duhhhhh

Then wouldn't we adapt to have a smaller head? or a thicker skull...woaahh
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!