Hi Im having loads of trouble trying to match Alex Lifeson's style; his tone and just the way he plays. I have not quite gotten down the fusion type stuff, can any help me like maybe on practice tips or where i can go to learn more about it, or any simple suggestions?
Well 90% of your tone come from your fingers, so you'll never sound like Lifeson, unless you are Lifeson. But have 1000's of dollars worth of gear wouldn't hurt.

Any just practice song by Rush you like, and try to emulate him as much as possible
why would you want to copy someone elses style? that shows a significant lack of creativity.... in my opinion..
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Quote by jakewynnrocks
why would you want to copy someone elses style? that shows a significant lack of creativity.... in my opinion..

"Good artists borrow, but the great ones steal" -No idea who said it

Any way i agree, but I commonly use other guitarists tone as a starting point, such a Eddie Van Halen's tone, because I like the Brown Sound, but then I try and modify to sound good with my playing and gear.
I've got mp3s on my profile of a couple Rush covers. Just guitar and a computer. In fact, a crappy V-Ampire recorded direct. "Kinda" convincing. Listen for yourself.

I can help get you the Lifeson tone. What gear are you playing thru?
Quote by ledzeppelinman
Hi Im having loads of trouble trying to match Alex Lifeson's style; his tone and just the way he plays. I have not quite gotten down the fusion type stuff, can any help me like maybe on practice tips or where i can go to learn more about it, or any simple suggestions?

I've learned lots of Rush songs. Alex Lifeson is one of my favorite guitarists.

Tips...

listen to and practice/play Rush songs....... alot. Try to capture Lifesons feel and sound.

That's it. It's takes awhile to get good at it. Just be patient and have fun with it.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by BeerChurch
I've got mp3s on my profile of a couple Rush covers. Just guitar and a computer. In fact, a crappy V-Ampire recorded direct. "Kinda" convincing. Listen for yourself.

I can help get you the Lifeson tone. What gear are you playing thru?

well right now im playing a fender starcaster and frontman but planning on getting a prs se custom and a marshall soon.